Practicality of using a film Leica in the digital age?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Between 2003 and today every time I took a trip (domestic or abroad) has been with just one film Leica, one (50mm or 28mm) or maximum two lenses (50mm + 28mm) and a whole bunch of Tri-X. No problems whatsoever on the street, in bars, in shops, on mountains, tiny villages, big cities or airports (e.g., last year I spent 2 weeks in rural Poland and in Krakow. 30 rolls of film with an MP and the 28mm Summicron only).

I did an experiment one time: I went through 6 airports (US+Europe) with Tri-X (shot at 400). 1 roll of film stayed in my carry on and got X-ray'ed each time (12 scans total), the rest were hand inspected. No difference between the one that got X-ray'ed and the others.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot probably 95% digital now.

I still have a lot of different film cameras from 35mm SLRs to large format.

All of them are occasionally used, most used probably 120 film medium format cameras.

I shoot now only B&W silver based film, develop the film and scan + print, treating the film based photographs in the same workflow as my digital files.

When you reduce your film stock across cameras to just a handful of different films, which ideally can be developed with the same developer, film can be really convenient and little work intense.

Stripping down to only TriX400 and my remaining Neopan400 stock, exclusively using stock D-76 1:1 dev and Kodak rapid fixer in dedicated JoBo tank systems makes developing as easy as it gets.

The key is to shoot and collect film to batch process them. Once developed and archived, it is only a matter of scanning the film batch for batch, when you are at the computer anyway.

To me certain film formats and film stocks still have a lot going for it, making it unique and absolutely valid next to or even against digital formats.

Make sure, you simplify your film/ dev choices.

Make sure you develop yourself (labs are dying at a rapid rate and charging higher and higher prices while quality declines and lead times rise).

Make sure you get a quality scanner ideally dedicated to the film format you want to shoot most.

Spend time refining your developing against scanning against printing - a bit of alchemy is involved here.

Don't give up!

• Like 2

100% of my Leica photography is film photography and, after over four decades of learning, isn't likely to change until a version of the Monochrom proves completely irresistible to me. It is just as practical to use film today as it ever was and once you've decided on your path to the end result and are comfortable and confident with it, It remains an interesting and absorbing method of creating images.

My Leica photography is for me and my family only, it is not for my clients. I enjoy my hybrid creative process with film. I make decisions on what I will use and how I will treat the raw materials of the process, depending on my experience or curiosity for learning something new.

As I type this, several rolls are washing and selected frames will be scanned and archived when dry. I owe a great deal to film, it set me on a lifelong learning curve that complements and blends seamlessly into my other digital photographic life and remains totally practical and enjoyable.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I travel everywhere with my M3 and film, all of which goes thru the carry on x-ray machine. Never a problem. I carry an iPhone 5s as my camera backup. Haven't had to use it yet.:)

THIS... And once again

Just... shoot... film.

I promise you it wont hurt :rolleyes:

To each their own I guess, photography is how I spend my time when I can get away from whatever it is I have to do, so fun is the only criteria I need to satisfy. If you're a jobbing photographer then no, I imagine it'd be really challenging to still be using a film M.

Old mechanical instruments are my fun, prefer the time spent with a camera in my hand to a computer mouse.

Not having any fun in life is impractical, so for me, using a film Leica is.

I use a 3 for b&w & a 6 for slides. Does me.

Wish everyone would hurry up & sell their impractical cameras, it'd help drive the price down & I could buy another.

• Like 2

I flew to NYC from Germany this January, taking with me a Rolleiflex and a Leica M2 with a 50mm Summicron. I bought the film I needed locally, because in NYC that's realistic. If I were flying somewhere more remote, I'd take it with me.

On my return flight I politely asked the security staff to hand-inspect my film, which they did while I put my shoes and belt back on and put my electronics back into my bag. They were perfectly fine about it, handling even the 120 film with adequate care.

I didn't bother with a lead-lined bag to save weight and bulk. I'd hesitate to just put film through the x-ray in a lead lined bag, because I've had surly staff resent the black blob and insist on x-raying the film on its own in a plastic tray. Thankfully it was ISO20 film and nothing bad happened, but I learned my lesson – now I'd rather just nicely ask for hand-inspection.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
So a couple months ago I got my first ever Leica! Its an M6 classic, 1992 build, in nearly mint condition, and I got it for a good price I've now gone through about 6 or 7 rolls in it, and its been a whole lot of fun for me. Completely different from what I'm used to, which sort of brings me to my question, sort of.

I've been shooting with a Canon EOS 50D for a few years and prior to that a Nikon consumer-level DSLR. I'm young, and really got seriously into photography as a hobby long after film had been replaced as the norm. I feel like spending time with film has begun to and will teach me a lot which can better me as a photographer. For example developing your eye so that you are really looking for what is important, learning more about the process for how photographs actually happen, etc. These sort of existential qualities that you get through using and developing film.

My enormous Canon and I have been through a lot together, and I've done some pretty good things with it. The extreme "practical" aspects of using a digital SLR camera make it hard for me to take my M6 seriously as a professional tool. Before you gasp and stop reading hear me out here.

My Canon is not all that valuable, and certainly not uncommon. To most people it looks like any old "nice camera" and I've never felt like it would be cause for someone to come up behind me at night with a knife. I don't have to load it, it doesn't "fog" at airport security, and when I get home, my pictures are ready for sorting and processing as soon as I am.

These are all matters of convenience and as a camera I don't like it as much. It is big, clunky, heavy, loud, intrusive, laggy, etc. I once said I felt like I was walking around with a brick strapped to my neck and a mask over my face whilst clapping. Manual focusing it is difficult and inaccurate. I tend to spend lots of time "chimping", and I'm always frustrated by the sheer volume of "trash" photos I come back with at the end of a trip.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this. Later in the summer I'm planning a trip, maybe to Germany, but I'm not sure yet, my friend and I haven't fully decided yet. I'm trying to convince myself to leave the Canon, lenses, CF cards, etc. at home and take the Leica and some rolls of film. Sounds great, except I can't seem to shake this voice inside my head that says:

"you're not actually going to take that as your only camera are you?"

"you know its just going to get stolen."

"your film is not going to stand up to 2014, USA-bound airport security and even if it does you're just going to screw it up in the darkroom when you get back."

"something is going to go wrong and you'll be sorry."

etc. I can't tell if these are stupid concerns or not. So what better place to ask for opinions than from a bunch of people who own exactly the same/similar camera right? Do you ever have these thoughts? What is your point of view/justification?

discuss

I have made pictures with the M6/MP for over 20 years and still do. In september I'll go to Venice 10 days long, walking through the city and making a reportage. Taking my MP for b&w and the M for colour. It will be fun as always. If somebody wants to rob me of my precious gear. I hope my insurance will replace everything. But I have been in several cities the last 20 years ( also in Germany:)) . I never had any problems walking around with two Leica's. It's very rewarding making pictures and printing b&w with an M6/MP. Don't be afraid, just enjoy!

• Like 1

discuss

I recently returned from ten days in England and Scotland with an MP/35 'cron and 14 rolls of film, mostly ORWO 74N and some Double X. Never had any problems that weren't easily handled (two drunk girls in London asking if my son wanted them to 'take his picture' with his X100s), and never felt that we were being cased. Was always aware of my environment and calmly met every eye straight on. I had only two things to keep track of; the camera on my neck and the little bag across my chest.

On the streets, in the pubs or on the tube it was all fine. Reagent Street at night was crazy, and a bit worrisome; a street person outside the Liberty shop who wouldn't leave until we'd had a lengthy conversation that was a bit rambling, but his english was gorgeous. I'm sure there's parts of London where it would have been different but we didn't go there. Saw a couple or three Ms and a Nikon F but that was all. In the crowds of tourists with DSLRs and long zooms (what a Dutch acquaintance calls 'touristen pizzeln') a Leica is not inconspicuous.

Processing film now and it looks good, no problem from carry-on X-rays evident. One frame of 5222 with what looks like mold, I'll send that to Kodak.

As an aside, in Scotland, I can fully endorse the Fisherman's Tavern Hotel in Broughty Ferry as well as a restaurant in Perth recommended to us by a man in the train station. If anyone cares to know PM me and I'll ask my sister-in-law if she remembers its name. Finally, I matched my son pint for pint every place we sat so my reputation is safe for another year.

s-a

I didn't bother with a lead-lined bag to save weight and bulk. I'd hesitate to just put film through the x-ray in a lead lined bag, because I've had surly staff resent the black blob and insist on x-raying the film on its own in a plastic tray. Thankfully it was ISO20 film and nothing bad happened, but I learned my lesson – now I'd rather just nicely ask for hand-inspection.

Probably won't work in the current climate of fear, I asked flying both ways between here and Ireland a few weeks back had to stick my see through bag containing the film cans through the scanner. Next time I will leave it in the pots in a dark bag in my hand luggage and just send it through the scanner. I specifically asked for a hand inspection without scanning both ways and was refused both times to avoid the scanner.

I have made pictures with the M6/MP for over 20 years and still do. In september I'll go to Venice 10 days long, walking through the city and making a reportage. Taking my MP for b&w and the M for colour. It will be fun as always. If somebody wants to rob me of my precious gear. I hope my insurance will replace everything. But I have been in several cities the last 20 years ( also in Germany:)) . I never had any problems walking around with two Leica's. It's very rewarding making pictures and printing b&w with an M6/MP. Don't be afraid, just enjoy!

If a person does a little research beforehand and uses common sense, being robbed of your cameras should not happen. Ask at your hotel if there are parts of the city or places you should avoid due to crime problems. Be sure to ask if there are places that you should stay away from during the daytime, too. If the hotel people can offer no information, keep asking; ask people who run local businesses, bartenders, restaurant owners, waiters, taxi drivers and the local police. And then heed their advice.

If you are in a situation where you feel uncomfortable - where you feel you are being watched or stalked by someone or a group of people - get away from them immediately. Run if you have to. Don't wait till they invade your personal space. Get away from them before they have a chance to try to rob you. If they are too colse for comfort - as in inside your personal space - create a scene. Yell, scream, raise hell, draw attention. This may cause them to abort their attack. Theives don't want attention.

Be on the lookout for small groups of people who approach you, engage you in conversation, and invade your personal space. Take a look at the video in ths link to see what can happen - http://petapixel.com/2013/07/09/video-russian-photographer-has-camera-lens-stolen-from-around-his-neck/

Regarding insurance replacement of equipment lost to robbery, check before you go. Get a definitive answer from your insurance underwriter - and get it in writing. Some policies may not cover theft/robbery outside the U.S. If you have to file a claim for stolen equipment, the insurance company will require a written copy of the police report that was filed with the local athorities where the theft/robbery took place. If the worst happens, file a police report immediately and get a copy for yourself and your insurance company. If you are robbed in Turkey and come home with no police report to substantiate your insurance claim, you will be out of luck.

If you cannot get the insurance coverage you need through your usual agent or brokerage, become a member of ASMP ( American Society of Media Photographers ). ASMP has partnered with Taylor & Taylor of New York City to offer ASMP Prosurance camera insurance to its members. I have this coverage. It covers your cameras, lenses and other gear for any loss worldwide. It covers your equipment at replacement cost, not depreciated cost. The importance of this one little fact cannot be overstated.

Hope this information will help...

Edited by Carlos Danger

One last item - depreciated value is the insurance company's favorite tool.

It is their way of getting out of paying you the real world value of your stolen canera gear, saving themselves a significant chunk of money - and screwing the living shit out of you, their "valued client" :rolleyes: - in the process. If your policy specifies depreciated cost or depreciated value replacement, you will get somewhere between 20% and perhaps 60% (at most) of the actual replacement cost of your equipment.

Depreciated value does not factor in the price increases of Leica M cameras and lenses nor does it address the international currency exchange rate between your currency and the Deutsche Mark or Euro. When you and I go to our Leica dealer, we must face those realities and deal with them. Your camera policy must address them too or you will be left holding the bag to the tune of thousands of lost dollars (the term "legalized theft" comes to mind...)

Don't fall for the depreciated value trap. Insist on replacement cost coverage. If your underwriter refuses, go to Taylor & Taylor.

I had one of those jobs that required almost constant travel, most of it in foreign countries. On one trip to Spain we were warned about petty crimes committed by locals, and to be careful.

My wife and I were walking down a small side street in a smaller city when we noticed a young man following us. We crossed the street and he did too, almost like he was herding us. We walked a bit faster, but we noticed that he had crossed to the other side of the street again. He then got ahead of us a bit, as though he was wanting us to turn at the next street. It looked a bit wider too, so we did, hoping to find some people.

As soon as we turned the corner we saw what can only be described as a century's old church in the courtyard. Our "friend" then ran in front of us, motioning for us to follow him inside. By now we knew he was not trying to rob us, but instead show us a church we would have probably missed. We went inside and our friend ran up to the priest and told him something. The priest came up to us and gave us a wonderful tour of the church, telling us about it's history.

Needless to say, you have to be cautious, but don't let fear keep you from exploring new places.

• Like 2

Something similar happened to me in Jordan. First year that the borders with Israel were open somewhere in the nineties, I traveled to Aquaba. I was making some pictures in the slums there and took a picture of a little girl. Suddenly a man was shouting and another man was making gestures. I had to come with him. He brought me to a little shed and there his family was making tee. I drank with them that afternoon together with a female friend, who was travelling with me. No problems at all. It was a nice afternoon with some special pictures.

• Like 1

Guest Benqui

Like many of the photographerse here, I know both worlds. Up to now I had never had any problems with my films in my hand luggage concerning x-rays.

Both worlds have their pro and cons and I think it depend on your preferred style of photography .

Let me give you two examples:

During my last trip I decided to use my digital Nikon with a large zoom and I took really a lot (too much) photos, because it is also a kind of easy photography. You can try different parameters and can decide immediatly which photo you take or which you delete. But you have to carry heavy gear during the whole day. Maybe you make some photos which you could not take with a analog system and at home you can look immediatly to your photos.

For a trip to Thailand I just had my MP and a 35mm Summarit and it was a very relaxing way to take photos. First of all no heavy gear you can take photos very easyily nobody is "alarmed" by a huge camera. Of course you are limited with the number of photos you will take but on the other hand you think more about the photo before you press the button. If you do b/w analog you should develop the film by yourself and it is really a great feeling if you have a selfmaed print of your photo in your hands. This is really a great experience in analog photography. But to be honest I hate the time you have to spent do scan your analog photos.

To sum up most of the time during travel I use my analog camera (b/w) and have a small digital camera (Leica C) as a backup when I need Color. Analog is certainly not easier at all as a digital but the "manual" Feeling of creating a photo is more impressive.

best regards

Marc

P.S.: I think you will return after a trip through Germany with your complete equipment;)

But to be honest I hate the time you have to spent do scan your analog photos.

I really hated the scanning of analoge films in my coolscan. That's why I sold it. I never scan anything of my MP films. When I want to share them, I just make a picture of the print I made. It's very relaxing only working for you and your family. Not everything has to be publiced digitally. If somebody askes me for an assignment, I only shoot digital, but for fun, it's really fun to make just one or two prints per film roll. I was in Japan years ago, when digital was not invented for two weeks. In those weeks I shot about 15 rolls of film. I now have about 15 wonderful photos giving me the impression I had from Japan. I also made 360 slides. I still like de 15 prints more than the slides.

There is a spirituality in shooting film that digital cannot match. My adrenalin levels soar when I have film in front of my face. Scanning, for me, is not a chore. I actually enjoy it. It is just another step in appreciating my image, like viewing the freshly processed film, or watching the image magically appear in the dev tray. It's all magic.

I have just reanimated my darkroom, for printing. It has always functioned for film development. My 16yr old grandson has just discovered my Hasselblad kit and I have told him, to use it, he must immediately learn darkroom lore. Personally, I am chuffed to be activating my old retreat. Fun times ahead.

Now what was the ratio of stock solution to water to make a good developer? Yes, a bit of rust to chip off!

• Like 2