Explain screwmount to M adapters?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, TomB_tx said:

Here is the normal orientation of a Summitar with adapter on an M3:

Thanks. That’s really odd because on my M2 the middle line is to the right. Could it be due to a later 1952 version of the lens ? 

Edited by Big Jim
Add stuff

Interesting that there seems to be quite a bit of variation. Here's my 1949 Summitar with an "original" 50mm adapter ring.  Focus is correct, infinity is good, etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, TomB_tx said:

Are you using a genuine Leitz (Leica) adapter or an aftermarket brand?

Aftermarket I think. It came attached to the lens. I don’t see a Leica engraving anywhere. Are the aftermarket adapters inferior in any way ? Is there something I need to check ?

Edited by Big Jim

I've seen a few aftermarket adapters where the ltm thread was not indexed quite right with the M mount so the lens didn't align perfectly. Also on some the flange thickness has bee a bit off (should be 1.00mm). Either can cause the focus to be slightly off. To check the make, leave the adapter locked on the body and then unscrew the lens from the adapter:

Then screw the lens tightly into the adapter and it should come out of the body if you press in the catch button before removing. If the adapter continually stays in the body, getting the adapter out of the body may require fitting the three nubs on the back of a Leica M cap (or Voigtlander cap) into the outer recesses of the adapter flange to turn it out (with the release button pressed).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

I've seen a few aftermarket adapters where the ltm thread was not indexed quite right with the M mount so the lens didn't align perfectly. Also on some the flange thickness has bee a bit off (should be 1.00mm). Either can cause the focus to be slightly off. To check the make, leave the adapter locked on the body and then unscrew the lens from the adapter:

Then screw the lens tightly into the adapter and it should come out of the body if you press in the catch button before removing. If the adapter continually stays in the body, getting the adapter out of the body may require fitting the three nubs on the back of a Leica M cap (or Voigtlander cap) into the outer recesses of the adapter flange to turn it out (with the release button pressed).

Thanks a lot. By the way is there a recommended aftermarket LTM to M adapter that I could buy as a replacement knowing it’s well manufactured? I’m in Europe. 

3 hours ago, Big Jim said:

Thanks a lot. By the way is there a recommended aftermarket LTM to M adapter that I could buy as a replacement knowing it’s well manufactured? I’m in Europe. 

For film cameras the original Leitz adapter (IRZOO) may still be the best choice. If the lens might be used in the future on digital, Rayqual 'Type III' adapters from Japan have good reviews:

https://cameraquest.com/adaptltm.htm

These are available on ebay and elsewhere. You want one described as being suitable for a 50mm (or 50-75mm) lens so that it brings up the correct frameline(s).

• Thanks 1

Apparently, some early adapters were custom fitted to a specific lens?  Like this one for a 1952 Summicron?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UliWer said:

Both my Summitars - from early wartime as well as a late postwar copy - show the samer orientation as shown in #20 and #23.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies ! 
The mystery continues ! So looking at the photos above I decided something is definitely wrong with my LTM to M Adapter. Leica and Voigtländer adapters are over half what I paid for the lens and out of my price range. So I started looking for recommendations for alternatives. Again I’m in Europe and would like something that arrives fairly soon. The Urth had mixed reviews so finally I ordered a Fotodiox. 

I then decided to remove the old adapter and guess what ? It’s a Fotodiox! I give up ! I can’t understand how my lens doesn’t have the middle line at 1 o’clock like the others pictured here using what seems to be a common adapter. Or is there some special way of mounting the adapter ? I’ve reattached it and it’s in the same position. Threads seem to be fine. 

Any tips gratefully received as I’m going bonkers here ! Also tips for cheaper but reliable adapters. 

Edited by Big Jim

It looks as if your adapter's thread is shorter than the original thread of the mount of LTM cameras. So when you screw in the lens, it reaches its destination somewhere before it should.  Though this has just some  cosmetical results: it does not matter whether the offset of the scale is to the left or to the right. Not the length of the thread but only the adapter's thickness is vital for texact focus. So I'd like to support TomB-tx's proposal to test with a film whether your adapter does what it must do: adding exactly 1mm to the lens-to-film distance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1951 Summitar on MP with original 50mm adapter with lens in locked (infinity) position - similar to #23

Edited by romualdo

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Rick in CO:

Apparently, some early adapters were custom fitted to a specific lens?  Like this one for a 1952 Summicron?

Yes, when the M3 and with it the adapters for LTM-lenses were introduced customers were told that they had to adapt their lenses individually to the adapter and the camera. Though this recommendation was abandoned just a few years later, and I think it was never justified but only a means to make the „original“ new lenses with M-mount more attractive. (May be this reminds anyone to 6-bit-coding…).