A dilemma on which camera for adapting M lenses

costa43

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 57 Minuten schrieb 2M6TTLs:

Huh? If it already has the data why can't the camera identify the lens and make corrections?

Sorry, this is nonsense.

If you are not using the native M adaptor or a six bit coded lens you can select the lens correction profile manually if the lens is listed in the camera library. Lens correction gets applied either way just tried it on my non coded Elmar from 1964. If you shoot RAW lens correction can get applied later in your RAW converter if the lens is supported there. If you shoot JPEG of course if the correction is not applied it can not be baked into the file.

In general one should not overestimate the lens correction too much. A good picture stays a good picture either way I would even say that not applying any corrections will add to the character of the shot. Not that there's too much to correct anyway with Leica so don't now lose sleep over it.

I shoot the SL 601 and SL2-S with M glas of any generation and it's the best way to adapt lenses outside of using a M itself. Period. 

So no worries and just enjoy shooting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy Y said:

Lens correction gets applied either way just tried it on my non coded Elmar from 1964.

that does not sound right! 
a'60-70-80 lens would not get any correction in the camera, just a metadata tag to use in post-processing.
In any case, camera correction is more important for wide-angle lenses that can have uneven lighting across the frame, and flag-ing. Vignetting is still corrected in a gentile way, you still have character, because your camera doesn't still not know what f-stop you are using.

If you use the 21 SEM or the WATE, the camera does a very good job of making uniformity corrections, something that is hard to do in a post.

Many of these lenses are used by video shooters. Correcting in posts is easier in photos than in videos.

In general one should not overestimate the lens correction too much. A good picture stays a good picture either way I would even say that not applying any corrections will add to the character of the shot. Not that there's too much to correct anyway with Leica so don't now lose sleep over it.

i agree with you. there is no reason to correct everything away. some of these characters are what make the image nuances .

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Photoworks:

that does not sound right! 
a'60-70-80 lens would not get any correction in the camera, just a metadata tag to use in post-processing.

Here you go straight out of cam. Leica SL2-S with Elmar 50mm f2.8. On the left hand side with correction switched on in the camera menu, to the right without. Corrections are applied directly in camera no further editing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Posted (edited)

Hello @costa43

I know you have already decided and made the same decision... but to answer your original question I've just received an Sl2-S this week, and I couldn't be happier.

This sensor is beautiful and the focus peaking makes light work of focussing fast m glass (especially if the preview image is set to B&W so the red peaking stands out).

I get the feeling this is going to be a whole new chapter of enjoyment of my M lenses for situations where critical focus and accurate framing is useful.  

E58 Noc  :

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3

Just now, grahamc said:

Hello @costa43

I know you have already decided and made the same decision... but to answer your original question I've just received an Sl2-S this week, and I couldn't be happier.

This sensor is beautiful and the focus peaking makes light work of focussing fast m glass (especially if the preview image is set to B&W so the red peaking stands out).

I get the feeling this is going to be a whole new chapter of enjoyment of my M lenses for situations where critical focus and accurate framing is useful.  

E58 Noc  :

Hi Graham! Lovely photo, I can imagine you can have some fun at f1 with the evf, good tip on the peaking.

I'm really looking forward to receiving the camera, new gear days are the best! I was hoping to have it today for the weekend but rather frustratingly UPS are now saying Monday. How have you found the pre-asph on it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, costa43 said:

Hi Graham! Lovely photo, I can imagine you can have some fun at f1 with the evf, good tip on the peaking.

I'm really looking forward to receiving the camera, new gear days are the best! I was hoping to have it today for the weekend but rather frustratingly UPS are now saying Monday. How have you found the pre-asph on it? 

Thanks Costa.  Ah that’s annoying about the delay !  Yes the focus peaking and exact composition feels like it’s going to be a game changer for this kind of application,  I’m really enjoying it. 

I used the 35:1.4v2 on it just around the house the other day and loved the results.  I actually really like not having to focus/recompose also which at these wide apertures can have mixed results huh 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, grahamc said:

Thanks Costa.  Ah that’s annoying about the delay !  Yes the focus peaking and exact composition feels like it’s going to be a game changer for this kind of application,  I’m really enjoying it. 

I used the 35:1.4v2 on it just around the house the other day and loved the results.  I actually really like not having to focus/recompose also which at these wide apertures can have mixed results huh 

Lovely, I can see how that will be a bit of a game changer. Have you found the weight of the camera to be prohibitive compared to your m10d? 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, costa43 said:

Lovely, I can see how that will be a bit of a game changer. Have you found the weight of the camera to be prohibitive compared to your m10d? 

The crazy thing is I don't find the SL2-S heavier across my shoulder than my M's , although of course it is.  I took it out with the 35:2v2 to a cafe the other day and had to second glance to confirm the thing was on my shoulder when I left (it was).   Brass M's aren't light are they at 600 or so grams and this doesn't really feel different to me.  

It's also a beautifully built camera and very nice buttons etc.    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it ! 

Edited by grahamc

FWIW Costa, fairly mundane family pic with 35:1.4 Pre-ASPH wide open linked below .      Quite a novelty not having to recompose a shot like this, coming from M10-D 

And I also find the sensor very filmic.  I have no complaints whatsoever at this point 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:46 AM, Photoworks said:

I don't think you get any in-camera correction on older film lenses since they don't have 6Bit coding, if the camera does not recognize the lens it will not apply the effect.

FYI, most historical M lenses can be coded. Here's the full list:

https://leica-camera.com/sites/default/files/2021-08/6BIT_CODING_LIST_April2015_EN.pdf

Leica charges a reasonable fee for this service, with decent turnaround in the US (it's done in New Jersey, not Germany). The price includes focus calibration, which you probably need if the lens hasn't been serviced since 2008 when 6-bit coding was introduced. Any independent Leica repair shop can also do lenses that aren't on the list. It's worth doing in almost all cases, the main exception being priceless collectible lenses, but even then you can ask for the old lens flange so the lens can be brought back to original condition.

22 minutes ago, grahamc said:

The crazy thing is I don't find the SL2-S heavier across my shoulder than my M's , although of course it is.  I took it out with the 35:2v2 to a cafe the other day and had to second glance to confirm the thing was on my shoulder when I left (it was).   Brass M's aren't light are they at 600 or so grams and this doesn't really feel different to me.  

It's also a beautifully built camera and very nice buttons etc.    I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it ! 

Thanks Graham, that is reassuring. I'm off to London for a few weeks next week and will take it with me to try out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Y said:

Here you go straight out of cam. Leica SL2-S with Elmar 50mm f2.8. On the left hand side with correction switched on in the camera menu, to the right without. Corrections are applied directly in camera no further editing.

i dont find any settings of corrections in the Sl601 menu

vor 2 Stunden schrieb tomasis7:

i dont find any settings of corrections in the Sl601 menu

Setting the function

1. In the menu’s SETUP section, select Lens Profiles, 2. in the submenu, M-Lenses, and
3. in the corresponding submenu, the desired lens.

Page 241 in the manual.

Posted (edited)

Setting the function

1. In the menu’s SETUP section, select Lens Profiles, 2. in the submenu, M-Lenses, and
3. in the corresponding submenu, the desired lens.

Page 241 in the manual.

i had it on always. I thought it was an extra setting like "Calibration on/of"

I took samples and saw no differences on vignetting (35lux pre-asph) 

Edited by tomasis7

18 hours ago, Andy Y said:

Wow. Quite a difference.

Can you collapse that 50mm2.8 on the camera body with no damage to the sensor? I have one of those ( and the Leica L to M mount adaptor ) but haven't tried it yet for fear of damage.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb 2M6TTLs:

Wow. Quite a difference.

Can you collapse that 50mm2.8 on the camera body with no damage to the sensor? I have one of those ( and the Leica L to M mount adaptor ) but haven't tried it yet for fear of damage.

No unfortunately you can’t. You won’t hit the sensor though. The lens barrel will hit the camera sensor box before it hits the sensor. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:05 PM, Andy Y said:

No unfortunately you can’t. You won’t hit the sensor though. The lens barrel will hit the camera sensor box before it hits the sensor. 

Thanks. I'll try it with lens extended then, it's still tiny on an SL body. Optically this lens really impressed me on my M bodies so I decided to keep it when I moved to the SL system. Time to try it on my SL2s.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:05 AM, Andy Y said:

You might damage the shutter though.

On 3/22/2024 at 6:56 AM, Andy Y said:

This looks like Lightroom. Did you turn off lens correction in Lightroom to see what is really happening?

Posted (edited)

After a few days with the sl2s, my first impressions are extremely positive. I’ve only adapted my m lenses thus far but to my eyes, they perform just as well on this body as they do on my M cameras. The high iso performance is cleaner than any camera I’ve used before, I’ve not compared this with a downsampled m10r file but this is my first impression. The ibis is a nice to have and overall the sl body offers a lovely user experience. It’s weighty but assured and with my small lenses, not prohibitive at all. I’m still adjusting to the post processing side of things but as a starting point, I like the base colour output that LR gives me more so than any other camera since the m8/m9. 

Edited by costa43