Visoflex adapters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good morning all, it strikes me that now the M240, M10 and M11 have live view and modern electronic visoflex viewers that it’s now quite easy to use a variety of longer lenses via the Novoflex lem/vis adapter. There are now various adapters for different makes of lens and of course the various original visoflex lenses available. Now the longer visoflex lenses which used pistol grips seem to be far more plentiful in R mount. My question is can these be mounted with an M mount to R lens adapter? Ie M11 - lem/vis - m to r adapter - Telyt R pistol grip plus lens or am I missing something in the equation? And yes I am aware that it would make more sense to just buy a mirrorless /DSLR that a lens just fits to. Many thanks, Rob. I wonder if I’ve overthought this and if using a Telyt R plus m to R adapter then the lem/vis is actually unnecessary?

Edited by Firefly
  • Like 1

I think you are missing something. These are the options for old Visoflex lenses:

A - You either take a Visoflex mount lens with:

1. Leica M - Visoflex adapter
    I am not sure this exists, but it is just a matter of getting the right flange distance.
  2. Leica M - Visoflex II or III housing.
    No need for the viewer of the original visoflex, lock the mirror upwards and attach the lens as it was in the 60s
  3. Leica M - R + R - Visoflex adapter (also described as R-M adapter)

B -  With any R lens (or a lens that was at that time designed for the R) you just need the Leica M-R adapter.

Just to be complete. On the L mount, all these lenses can be used too:

1. Add a L - M adapter and then attach the options above
  2. Use a L - R adapter and then attach the R lenses directly (B)
    Or use A.3 option for Visoflex mount lenses replacing the M-R adapter with the L-R adapter
Edited by dpitt
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks, nowadays the old Visoflex housing can be replaced by the lem/vis which gives the correct spacing, then the correct adapter if using a visoflex lens I.E oubio/16466 plus 200mm/f4, or if using a R lens just the M to R adapter plus the R lens. In both cases focusing is done via live view or the attached electronic viewfinder. If anyone knows different please do tell, thanks, Rob

vor einer Stunde schrieb Firefly:

or if using a R lens just the M to R adapter plus the R lens.

Yes thats it. An R lens is not a visoflex lens, so adding an LEM/VIS or a Visoflex housing will result in a too large spacing.

• Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Firefly:

nowadays the old Visoflex housing can be replaced by the lem/vis which gives the correct spacing, then the correct adapter if using a visoflex lens I.E oubio/16466 plus 200mm/f4

Yes, though unfortunately the LEM/VIS-adapter causes vignetting with some long lenses:

Telyt 4/200 with LEM/VIS:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

There is no vignetting with the original Visoflex housing:

Therefore I still prefer the Visoflex housing as a simple adapter: you fix the mirror in upward position and remove the release lever (which can be restored If you like). It's perhaps not very elegant but not heavier or bulkier than the LEM/VIS-adapter. 

42 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Yes this combination - which is rather heavy btw. - works aswell, but will also cause vignetting. 

It is the M-R adapter that causes vignetting.
For those working on the L mount, the R-L adapter does not give vignetting, so I suppose the R-L with R-M on top for Visoflex will not give vignetting also. It is definitely a better solution for R lenses longer than 100mm compared to using a stack of L-M and M-R.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb dpitt:

It is the M-R adapter that causes vignetting.

I don't think so:

1:3.4/180mm Apo-Telyt-R with R-M-adapter on M10 Monochrom:

1:4/200mm Telyt with R-toM + Visolex lens to R-adapter (14127):

There is less vignetting than with the Lem/VIs but more than with the Visoflex housing (see the second example in #6).

Edited by UliWer

You want some more examples for the LEM/VIS vignetting:

Lens head of 1:4/135mm Elmar with 16471+16472+14674 and LEM/VIS:

Same combination with Visoflex housing:

Edited by UliWer

There is even a fourth way to adapt Visoflex lenses. You can get Visoflex lens mount adapters for Nikon F and Canon EOS from Fotodiox. Combine one of these with a Nikon F or EOS to Leica M adapter. This might be interesting in case you already own the latter adapter for other lenses. This combination seems to be wider than the LEM/VIS, so maybe you get less vignetting. 

2 hours ago, UliWer said:

I don't think so:

1:3.4/180mm Apo-Telyt-R with R-M-adapter on M10 Monochrom:

1:4/200mm Telyt with R-toM + Visolex lens to R-adapter (14127):

There is less vignetting than with the Lem/VIs but more than with the Visoflex housing (see the second example in #6).

I meant that on my Leica SL, there is less vignetting for R lenses with  the L - R adapter compared to the L - M adapter stacked with M - R adapter.
I never tried to use the R - Vis adapter on my L, but I suppose it will be the same or worse than with a R lens.