Auto iso coming.

hansmezger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I certainly see use for the M9 implementation, in my case it would be quite useful for long lenses which one wants to shoot at a fast shutterspeed and obviously fixed aperture.

However having a fully manual mode to drop into for difficult light is also a preferred mode of shooting. Manual should be manual and Auto ISO should be one of the automatic modes.

I certainly see use for the M9 implementation, in my case it would be quite useful for long lenses which one wants to shoot at a fast shutterspeed and obviously fixed aperture.

However having a fully manual mode to drop into for difficult light is also a preferred mode of shooting. Manual should be manual and Auto ISO should be one of the automatic modes.

Hi,

I agree about long lenses and the necessity of fast shutter speeds in that instance. But if, as you say, Auto ISO should be in an automatic mode, then it would be impossible to choose your fast shutter speed. I know you know that is how the 240 is presently implemented, and it is frustrating if when I am in a nightclub shooting under varying degrees of strobe lighting and the rapid intensity thereof, it is impossible to turn the shutter speed dial and catch up with split second lighting changes. Enlighten me if you know a better way. Dan

I know you know that is how the 240 is presently implemented, and it is frustrating if when I am in a nightclub shooting under varying degrees of strobe lighting and the rapid intensity thereof, it is impossible to turn the shutter speed dial and catch up with split second lighting changes.

Just select the desired shutter speed and adjust for the changing lighting levels in the raw converter. The results will be superior to those you would get with auto ISO in manual mode.

• Like 3

Hi,

I agree about long lenses and the necessity of fast shutter speeds in that instance. But if, as you say, Auto ISO should be in an automatic mode, then it would be impossible to choose your fast shutter speed. I know you know that is how the 240 is presently implemented, and it is frustrating if when I am in a nightclub shooting under varying degrees of strobe lighting and the rapid intensity thereof, it is impossible to turn the shutter speed dial and catch up with split second lighting changes. Enlighten me if you know a better way. Dan

No, manual = nothing auto, AE is vary shutterspeed automatically, ISO manual, AI = vary ISO, shutterspeed manual.Two auto modes, one manual.Maybe add everything auto as well.

• Like 1

No, manual = nothing auto, AE is vary shutterspeed automatically, ISO manual, AI = vary ISO, shutterspeed manual.Two auto modes, one manual.Maybe add everything auto as well.

This only makes sense for users who regard the dial on top of the camera as a mode dial. For me it is a shutter speed dial and it has no business overriding my ISO settings. Two dials: One for shutter speed and one for ISO. Each with its own Auto setting. Simple and intuitive.

Indeed, I see Auto ISO as overriding a purely manual camera. But just wait a little while more, Leica will make most if not all users happy.However, I somehow doubt that firmware will cause an extra dial to sprout....:rolleyes:

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope it's in the new firmware for those who want it, but honestly, it's so quick and easy to change ISO manually. I mainly use cameras in full manual mode precisely because I prefer the camera doesn't change settings for me. What I would really like is to be able to disable the Movie mode and LV buttons or at least reassign them to something else.

Hi,

Btw, I did not say that AI should be in an automatic mode, but I said should be an automatic mode (in itself)

• Like 1

I hope it's in the new firmware for those who want it, but honestly, it's so quick and easy to change ISO manually. I mainly use cameras in full manual mode precisely because I prefer the camera doesn't change settings for me. What I would really like is to be able to disable the Movie mode and LV buttons or at least reassign them to something else.

I don't really see a need to disable the LV button.

Hitting the movie buton accidentally will cause you to lose shots.

Hitting the LV button does nothing to the functioning of the camera except possibly change the metering mode, and the flashing up of the screen is just a minor annoyance.

OTOH being able to activate LV quickly can get you a shot you would otherwise have missed, like holding the camera through a fence, or to one side to clear an obstruction.

Edited by jaapv

Just select the desired shutter speed and adjust for the changing lighting levels in the raw converter. The results will be superior to those you would get with auto ISO in manual mode.

Michael - This is such a simple, elegant and retrospectively obvious observation... brilliant!

I was thinking the flashing up of the screen could be more than a minor annoyance, for example in a theater or concert hall where I snuck the camera in against policy and everyone behind me including the ushers would see it light up :(

So keep your fingers away from the LV button in that case :p