Left Wheel for Auto ISO...

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In the manual it says that:

"The thumbwheel can be configured to allow manual ISO settings in real time (see p.76). The settings will cycle through all values available in the ISO menu. That means that Auto ISO can also be selected."

When I go to page 76 it says nothing about how to get Auto ISO to show up as one of the ISO values when using the left wheel.  Does anyone know how to get this to work?

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Dr. G:

In the manual it says that:

"The thumbwheel can be configured to allow manual ISO settings in real time (see p.76). The settings will cycle through all values available in the ISO menu. That means that Auto ISO can also be selected."

When I go to page 76 it says nothing about how to get Auto ISO to show up as one of the ISO values when using the left wheel.  Does anyone know how to get this to work?

good question! 

I switched between "Auto" and fixed ISO settings in the menu, but it would be very usefull doing this with the left wheel in combination with another button or something else.

I do not have access to SL3 today, but @FlashGordonPhotography wrote earlier:

Auto ISO and ISO are separated on the new dial. Hate this. To switch you need to twist the left dial and then the front dial and then back to the left dial to change the actual ISO. 

If in Auto ISO, if I twist the left dial, a small window appears on screen, saying AUTO ISO.  A twist of the rear deal causes that window to change to FIX ISO.  A half tape of the shutter release causes this window to disappear.  The ISO is now variable with left dial.  To get back to AUTO ISO, turning left dial all the way to 50 causes the FIX ISO window to reappear, from which AUTO can be chosen.  Admittedly, it’s easier to choose AUTO from Control Center.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, erudolph said:

If in Auto ISO, if I twist the left dial, a small window appears on screen, saying AUTO ISO.  A twist of the rear deal causes that window to change to FIX ISO.  A half tape of the shutter release causes this window to disappear.  The ISO is now variable with left dial.  To get back to AUTO ISO, turning left dial all the way to 50 causes the FIX ISO window to reappear, from which AUTO can be chosen.  Admittedly, it’s easier to choose AUTO from Control Center.  

It's this behaviour I despise. Why can't it just be like any other button where you go through base ISO to *auto* without having to press any other buttons/dials. It's daft. Instead, you go through base ISO to a window you then need to change with another dial. AND while that window is showing you can't change to another manual ISO for several seconds unless you tap the shutter button first. So, if you accidentally go past you required ISO and hit that little message you either have to wait or perform another action (tap the shutter button) to be able to change the ISO back up. I've already missed shots because of this.

Actually, what I really want is the rear dial click to be programable so I can just forget this stupid dial exists. It could be fab. But in it's current guise it's a waste of space.

Oh, and programing the right rear dial does the same thing but it's *slightly* different. (You can't change manual ISO after moving from auto unless you tap the shutter button first.

!!) So, you have three physical ways of accessing the ISO functions and they all act differently. Anyone who wants to use a dial for ISO and who switches from auto to manual will be slowed down by this new system. One function that just didn't need a new way of doing things.

They had it right in the SL2. This is simply awful.

Gordon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, SrMi said:

I do not have access to SL3 today, but @FlashGordonPhotography wrote earlier:

Auto ISO and ISO are separated on the new dial. Hate this. To switch you need to twist the left dial and then the front dial and then back to the left dial to change the actual ISO. 

Apologies. It's the new dial followed by the *right rear* dial and then the new dial after that to switch from auto to manual ISO and vice versa. Not the front dial. Still daft.

Gordon

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2024 at 6:49 PM, erudolph said:

My SL3 works like this (switching between Auto and Fixed ISO) when I have an M lens fitted (with Leica adaptor).

But when I have an SL lens fitted, the left dial does functions as an Exposure Compensation dial, despite having set it to function as an ISO dial via the menus as follows ... Customize Control, Dials, Dials (AF lenses), Left Dial, ISO.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Oh dear, thought I knew my way around the menus, but just remembered that you also need to define how the dials operate for each PASM mode, not just for AF & MF lenses.