Auto iso coming.

hansmezger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It’s never going to happen but what I would like on Auto ISO is the ability to set the minimum shutter speed at focal length plus say 1EV. As I don’t have very steady hands, I find focal length shutter speed is too slow for me to get really sharp photos with a 24MP sensor. Thank goodness for shutter blur sharpening on PS.

Wilson

Obviously a firmware update would be required if the VF-4 were ever to work with the M240.

A firmware update would be required at a minimum, assuming that the M was capable of supporting the VF-4 at all – which Leica did suggest it does not, unfortunately. Also I wouldn’t take it as given that the T will support the VF-4 (or the VF-2 for that matter).

A firmware update would be required at a minimum, assuming that the M was capable of supporting the VF-4 at all – which Leica did suggest it does not, unfortunately. Also I wouldn’t take it as given that the T will support the VF-4 (or the VF-2 for that matter).

Michael,

I think unless the T has a built in viewfinder and the leaked photos if correct, suggest not, then I would say Leica would be mad to contemplate such a camera without an EVF option. I never use my Olympus EP-5 without the VF-4. It is my understanding from trying to work my way through a huge Epson trade catalogue, that the LCD chip used in the EVF-2 is no longer offered (I could not find a 1,440,000 dot or 800 x 600 pixels LCD but given the size of the catalogue, I may have missed it). Therefore, once stocks are used up, Leica will be forced to change, whether to a rebranded VF-4 or something else, who knows.

Wilson

I think unless the T has a built in viewfinder and the leaked photos if correct, suggest not, then I would say Leica would be mad to contemplate such a camera without an EVF option.

Indeed it would be. There has to be an EVF option.

Leica will be forced to change, whether to a rebranded VF-4 or something else, who knows.

Yep.

I was looking at the two today as my M240 was alongside my EP-5, which had a long zoom AF lens on it for taking pics of the two/three year olds rushing round our garden Easter egg hunting. There really is not a significant difference in size, especially if like me, you have the large eye-cup on the VF-2. The VF-4 is just a lot squarer.

Wilson

If EVF technology is marching on and Leica is left in its habitual technological backwater, it makes you wonder what will happen when they can sell you an M but not an EVF to go with it. Alternatively, an updated M comes along to support a new EVF leaving M Typ 240 users high and dry.

Maybe time to buy that second Olympus VF-2 as backup.

• Like 1

If EVF technology is marching on and Leica is left in its habitual technological backwater, it makes you wonder what will happen when they can sell you an M but not an EVF to go with it. Alternatively, an updated M comes along to support a new EVF leaving M Typ 240 users high and dry.

Maybe time to buy that second Olympus VF-2 as backup.

Mark,

Exactly. We don’t want to be in the same situation as folks with a faulty LCD screen or video circuitry on their M8.

Wilson

Because the whole Leica T thing is a reinvention of the wheel?

Doesn’t look like that to me. Just an adoption of manufacturing methods that have been used in the electronics/aviation/space industries for some years. Otherwise only a Leica version of the Canon EOS-M, APS-C mirrorless interchangeable lens compact, which came out in 2012. Not exactly bleeding edge technology.

Wilson

Doesn’t look like that to me.

To me, it does. An APS-C-format interchangable-lens mirrorless is not exactly the latest thing.

And then—first Leica pulled the plug on the R system, allegedly (and understandably) because they felt they won't be able to profitably compete with Canon and Nikon in the field of APS-C-format and 35-mm-format auto-focus DSLR cameras ... and now they're going to try to compete with Sony, Fujifilm, Canon, Samsung, Olympus, and Panasonic in the field of sub-35-mm-format mirrorless? What gives? Who wants a Sony NEX at Leica prices? Those who do already have a Hasselblad Lunatic (or whatever) ...

Olaf,

I agree but I still don’t see Leica going down a totally different route with electronic viewfinders, as it just does not make sense. On the other hand when did not making sense ever stop Leica doing something weird :)

Wilson

The Oly VF-4 is so obvious and works so well, why reinvent the wheel?

Maybe because this particular wheel comes with an extra feature? All will be rewheeled (sorry) on Thursday.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 1

I recently bought a Ricoh GR (my love affair with Ricohs is nearly as long as my love affair with Leicas), and their implimentation of Tav (stollen from Pentax from what I can tell) is downright astonishing.

Basically: set the aperture and the shutter speed, and the ISO is chosen automatically.

So, Leica: how about a similar setup? Auto ISO based on pre-determined shutter-speed; ISO ramps up in relation to the aperture selected...

If the new firmware allows you to chose maximum and minimum speed, isn't it a good workaround?

If you want a speed of 125, you just set 125 as your minimum and 250 as your maximum. Then you effectively have auto-iso with manual set up of speed.

sent from a phone with auto-correct.