Auto iso coming.

hansmezger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... Is there an open-source OS or framework generally used? ...

Surely there is some framework , standard in the camera industry, as is for other fields who use embedded software (auto, aero, medical... even vending machines)... krooj's post has perfectly sense

I get your point entirely, but I think the others guys approach is still valid, he's just using the internal meter as one would use an external meter. The benefit to his approach is that sudden changes in camera angle etc will not change the meter of his desired spot that he's metered off. Where's in Auto the camera could change his "mutually agreed" exposure by something as simple as change and angle of shot. So you're both right.

But I have to side with him because if full manual is your goal, you don't give a rats about the light meter and are likely using histograms or hand helds, whereas for him the meter serves a guidance even if not engaged in Auto.

Autopilots in Aircraft have the same function: off, on (which means guidance but no control) and auto (full control).

Keith, you're quoting me but I don't think we're discussing the same thing. I have no qualms against auto-iso in any mode. And when you're using any automatism, I think it makes perfect sense to use exposure compensation, because we all know all subjects aren't 18% grey, which is what the automatism would give you.

What I was discussing with farn was the relevance of exposure comp in full manual mode : Once you've analyzed the brightness of the scene and set an exposure comp, by exposing with the dot and arrow untill "correct" exposure, you're only achieving the same exposure an automatic mode would have given you, but it took you longer to get there.

Anyway, if one feels comfortable shooting that way and gets the pictures they want... I'm not asking anyone to change their habbits :)

I just realised I would not have made a good camera designer, because I can't predict the many ways people use their cameras :)

Envoyé de mon HTC One X en utilisant Tapatalk

Actually the A mode still has issues because after the ISO hits it's maximum user defined value, it drops the shutter speed to "below" the user defined minimum shutter speed value. Which I think I still have issues with. The Auto mode should operate within user defined limiting parameters according to the control law definition. If this results in poor exposure, then users can adjust their auto parameters or switch to manual. But it's generally easy to push an image in post than fix motion blur. And the Auto mode should be making things easier, so this I think is the better approach...

The "A" mode is not in question here. It is the MANUAL mode where Auto ISO works best,i.e. a specific/fixed shutter speed is needed in a condition when light is changing rapidly. Also when motion is changing rapidly. An ISO dial as you suggest would not work efficiently. It is not such a random movement in ISO as suggested. There is an ISO limiter on the m9 so that ISO cannot rise above a certain value. Nonetheless, if I had known about this missing and important function beforehand I would never have bought the 240. Yes the 240 has much less noise and can shoot at ISO 5000 easily. Still not worth giving up Auto ISO. And yes, all my other cameras have Auto ISO as did the m9. Who knows, I might sell. What a blunder.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the link. The graphs seem to indicate that the M240 is almost but not quite ISOless in low ranges. An interesting find but needs to be corroborated by independent testing to be considered scientific. Nonetheless a useful read...

See my post 183. Will resume this when my Flu is over

Why bother to get steamed about an unconfirmed rumour on an unofficial website that includes "rumors" in its title?

Pete.

PS On reflection I'm not certain that a 'confirmed rumour' is any more credible than an unconfirmed rumour. They're both just rumours … ;)

• Like 1

What I am wondering is if Leica will take the 24th April announcement to update their electronic viewfinder from the EVF-2 to the EVF-4 on the assumption, if the leaked chassis photos are correct, that the T will not have a built in VF. Having been using both over the last year, the VF-2 is looking very old technology now. Obviously a firmware update would be required if the VF-4 were ever to work with the M240. Crossed fingers that it will!

Wilson

Why bother to get steamed about an unconfirmed rumour on an unofficial website that includes "rumors" in its title?

Pete.

PS On reflection I'm not certain that a 'confirmed rumour' is any more credible than an unconfirmed rumour. They're both just rumours … ;)

I am hoping the rumors are incomplete or wrong, and that the very detailed information included in this article about specific changes to the firmware somehow forgot to mention the elephant in the room (namely, an auto ISO firmware update). But you are right -- it is merely a rumor at this point in time. We'll find out in May, I suppose!

Edited by tundraline

I am hoping the rumors are incomplete or wrong, and that the very detailed information included in this article about specific changes to the firmware somehow forgot to mention the elephant in the room (namely, an auto ISO firmware update)...

This does sound like an auto iso firmware update as i feel it:

« Ability to set minimum and maximum ISO for auto setting as well as minimum shutter speed »

Not exactly the pachyderm you're after though i suspect...

I generally don't play the guessing game, content to wait and see, but always amused nonetheless at the emotion that precedes every perceived new product or update. (But I'm not immune to wish lists.)

As regards this site, though, I have found their rumors on said predictions very accurate for years, going back to the M9, and including FW updates on various models.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

[...]Auto ISO would be a very nice feature on the M240.

Auto iso does exist already. Instead of being limited to maximum iso and maximum shutter speed, the rumored firmware update would just add two new choices to the auto iso menu: minimum iso and minimum shutter speed if i understand well. Not sure if either will work when setting a speed manually with the shutter dial though. I would not hold my breath about that but i may be wrong.

Doesn't look like this issue is being addressed in the forthcoming rumoured firmware update? It appears they are only fixing Auto ISO in Auto Exposure mode. I'm surprised because I would have thought it an easier problem to solve to solve (only change one parameter according to light meter) rather than two...

Auto iso does exist already. Instead of being limited to maximum iso and maximum shutter speed, the rumored firmware update would just add two new choices to the auto iso menu: minimum iso and minimum shutter speed if i understand well. Not sure if either will work when setting a speed manually with the shutter dial though. I would not hold my breath about that but i may be wrong.

Always difficult to enter the brain of programmers... :rolleyes: (and, indeed, also to imagine the basic limitations / assumptions that give a limit to programmers' fantasy) : I'd bet that you WON'T have the capability to have AutoISO WITH a speed set on the dial... I have the feeling that there is a sort of basic rule/branch that dictates "SET SPEED = MANUAL". Anyway, a FW update with a FREE choice of minimum shutter speed would be good for me : obviously with a nomal visual warning (blinking) when one makes an unviable choice.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Anyway, a FW update with a FREE choice of minimum shutter speed would be good for me : obviously with a nomal visual warning (blinking) when one makes an unviable choice.

This would be workable for me, albeit a bit more cumbersome, than Auto-ISO in M mode would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk