Unknown Leica Model

Febeleh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Found this old camera. Appears to my novice eye to be a rangefinder. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the specific model. Also, how do I remove the thing on top (I believe it to be a light sensor, again it is Leica)? Thanks all!

Please let me know if any more pictures are needed for identification, it is no problem at all.

1ctIjH7.jpg

M0wL49K.jpg

Also, what type of film do I need? Thanks again guys!

AlprHMc.jpg

Here, tried to save you guys some bandwith by compiling a few photos, but trying to comprimise with image quality. There are quite a few pictures included. If you have slow internet, forgo the first two images, and just open this one.

Also included way more shots!

You 'found' this camera? That is rather nice......

It is a Leica M3, probably in the 800 000 to 900 000 serial number range so, from the late 1950's. The 'thing' on top is indeed a 'light sensor', more commonly referred to as a lightmeter. ;)

The lens is not a collapsible 50mm Summicron as incorrectly identified earlier rather, the first version of the non-collapsible (a.k.a. rigid) Summicron.

The 'thing on top' can be removed by turning the dial which changes the shutter speeds to a 'B' setting, lifting the dial up and sliding the 'thing' backward. Looking at the photos, you may have to turn the ASA/DIN dial slightly, to uncover the 'B' setting.....

Cheers,

Jan

• Like 1

Hi,

its a M3 with a collapsible Summicron and a Leica-Meter (exposure meter )

You can use commercially available 35 mm film

Sincerely

Thanks! I was actually able to get the light meter off with a bit of fiddling.

mnoz6JL.jpg

Is that a personal serial number after the M3?

Also, are there any brands of 35 mm film you'd recommend for the best results? I can't imagine you'd get that great of results with the M3 with any ordinary Wal-Mart film.

Also, I put the Light Meter back on, but what exactly do I do with it?

You 'found' this camera? That is rather nice......

It is a Leica M3, probably in the 800 000 to 900 000 serial number range so, from the late 1950's. The 'thing' on top is indeed a 'light sensor', more commonly referred to as a lightmeter. ;)

The lens is not a collapsible 50mm Summicron as incorrectly identified earlier rather, the first version of the non-collapsible (a.k.a. rigid) Summicron.

The 'thing on top' can be removed by turning the dial which changes the shutter speeds to a 'B' setting, lifting the dial up and sliding the 'thing' backward. Looking at the photos, you may have to turn the ASA/DIN dial slightly, to uncover the 'B' setting.....

Cheers,

Jan

Haha, forgive my ignorance. I'm really not worthy of owning such a camera for being such a newbie. But, I figure if I've already got it, I might as well learn with it. I've also obtained a Petri 7S And a Yashica Electro 35. Do those cameras take 35 mm too?

Any good places to learn about analog photography? How to read all the sensors and dials and all that. Thanks guys.

The Fuji film Walmart caries isn't bad - I use the 400 ISO 24-exposure rolls for testing out old cameras when I make repairs, and the results are reasonable.

The LeicaMeter should be mounted/unmounted with the camera film speed dial set to "B" as at that setting the LeicaMeter dial will lift up and turn farther clock-wise to lock it in the UP position. Then when you mount it and turn back to "B" it will drop into the waiting slot on the shutter dial. That model meter is a "Selenium cell" that generates current for the meter, so needs no battery. However the Selenium cells weaken with age, so it may not be very accurate. On a bright sunny day if you set the film speed setting on the meter (cut-out on the disk on top) to read 125 ASA, set the shutter speed to 125, and point at the scene the meter dial should indicate about f16 as a lens setting. If it's a lot lower the meter cell is weak or there is a dirty connection inside. I was given two of these meters - one dead and one fairly accurate.

• Like 2

The Fuji film Walmart caries isn't bad - I use the 400 ISO 24-exposure rolls for testing out old cameras when I make repairs, and the results are reasonable.

The LeicaMeter should be mounted/unmounted with the camera film speed dial set to "B" as at that setting the LeicaMeter dial will lift up and turn farther clock-wise to lock it in the UP position. Then when you mount it and turn back to "B" it will drop into the waiting slot on the shutter dial. That model meter is a "Selenium cell" that generates current for the meter, so needs no battery. However the Selenium cells weaken with age, so it may not be very accurate. On a bright sunny day if you set the film speed setting on the meter (cut-out on the disk on top) to read 125 ASA, set the shutter speed to 125, and point at the scene the meter dial should indicate about f16 as a lens setting. If it's a lot lower the meter cell is weak or there is a dirty connection inside. I was given two of these meters - one dead and one fairly accurate.

Wow, loads of experience you've got. Thanks man! Well, I guess Fuji will be fine for the amateur at least. Can't wait to pick some up today. I'm new to the forum, would it be cool to post them here? Or is there a more appropriate sub-forum. You all seem like a fine bunch, I think I'll like it here.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Febeleh - go here and you can find instruction manuals but not a useful one for the M3 Leica camera instruction manuals, leicaflex camera instruction manual Leica M3 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF camera manuals

However, the one for the M2 will prove useful Leica M2 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF camera manuals as will the one for the MC meter you have Leica Meter MC exposure meter, instruction manual, light meter user manual, free PDF manual, camera manual

If you decide to download them, I'd recommend a small donation to his site to help it being maintained - he provides a very useful service IMO

Have fun

Febeleh - go here and you can find instruction manuals but not a useful one for the M3 Leica camera instruction manuals, leicaflex camera instruction manual Leica M3 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF camera manuals

However, the one for the M2 will prove useful Leica M2 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF camera manuals as will the one for the MC meter you have Leica Meter MC exposure meter, instruction manual, light meter user manual, free PDF manual, camera manual

If you decide to download them, I'd recommend a small donation to his site to help it being maintained - he provides a very useful service IMO

Have fun

Thanks!

Update: put a roll of film through it, haven't developed it yet, but I believe I've noticed a problem whilst changing the film- the film counter doesn't reset when the spool is removed. It advances just fine, it merely doesn't reset. How to fix at home? Any ways I can check to see if it's a minor issue I can resolve?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Hi,

if you remove the spool you will see two"wings" on a shaft, they are resetting the counter. Chech for any dirt or blockage there. You may press the wings together with your finger to check.

Otherwise you would need to remove top cover and possibly dismantle transport mechanism which you are not able to do without special tools and experience

best regrads

Jerzy

oooops, forgot to write that the shaft is within body shell, so inspecting the wings might be difficult. You may use small mirror to check. Otherwise, if you decide to remove the body shell to have better access let me know, I can give you some tips, you will neded flat screwdriver 1.5-2mm, no other special tools.

best regards

jerzy