Trying to determine Leica model

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,
I was given a nicely maintained old Leica camera recently and I'm trying to determine the model and details.

It has the number 674 495 and based on some initial research this appear to be a 1953/1954 Leica IF. It does have red numbers around the dial so I believe it might be the red version. I just can't find any photos online to collaborate this deduction.

I am attaching a couple of photos.

I'm pretty confident it hasn't been used for a long time, but as a photographic novice I assume I would need to try to find some type of Leica facility nearby to verify its usability - correct ?

Any insight and confirmation would be appreciated

Kind regards

Rich

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

If it looks well maintained, you might just try shooting with it. The original manual is still worth reading and is very clear:

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/leica/leica_if_iif_iiif/leica_if_iif_iiif.htm

Pay particular attention to the film loading instructions. This model was designed to use a film leader with the long, thin profile shown on p29 of the manual, and you should trim modern film accordingly (or you may risk the film breaking and pieces getting into the mechanism). You can use a knife and a film trimming template (the vintage metal ones are expensive; modern plastic ones can be found on ebay), but many of us just use scissors. Leave about 23 sprocket holes 'unpaired', round off the corner, and make sure you cut between and not across sprocket holes. Some people use various tricks to avoid trimming, typically taking the lens off, locking the shutter open, and guiding the leader with a business card, which I think is more trouble than it's worth. Trimming is easy with a bit of practice, and you can do several films before you go out and load them quickly in the field.

Your camera may well benefit from a service. Some common problems are faint rangefinder images, rough film transports that haven't been lubricated recently, pinholes in the shutter curtains, or a shutter that sticks or does not fully open at some or all speeds. If you let us know what part of the world you are in, someone can probably suggest a good place to get this done if necessary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You have seen the Leica Wiki in the top of this window?

I got my 674 601 as a IIf, it was upgraded to a IIIf. The reason was, that I did not load the camera careful, a piece of film hid inside. By the way it is even possible, that my camera was born as an If.

The loading of film is difficult. The cartridges are newer since 1950(?). Anbaric made this clear. Another problem is, that the modern cartridges are somewhat too short (length) for the camera. The metal cassettes, that Leitz provided, were a few millimeter longer (higher). So to load the film into the camera, one should be very careful. Some people use a washer.

Edited by jankap