Leica I A Chrome Model

Advertisement (gone after registration)

more images

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

more,and green

looking inside she.....

and the serial number is 4883......

Well, here are my 2 cents……

I believe this started out as a real, black Model I. There are too many tell-tale signs on the body to confirm this. I am quite certain that this is not a Russian fake.

At some point the camera was re-chromed, than somebody tried to sandpaper away the chrome finish and it is quite obvious why. When one checks the chrome finish left under the base plate opening lever, one can see that the chrome is not the usual ‘Leica dull chrome’ (as would have been applied during a factory conversion) but, shiny - as would have been applied by somebody not familiar with a proper plating procedure (sandblasting / copper plate / sandblasting / chrome plate).

Another strange detail is the ‘engraving’ around the shutter speed dial mount. Early black Leicas were not engraved rather, the details were etched into the black paint. This would explain the lack of the serial number in front of the accessory shoe and of the ‘Auf-Zu’ from the base plate - it disappeared after the sandpaper ‘treatment’. Why is there an engraving under the shutter speed dial and nowhere else on the camera? The state of the screws and the rust showing underneath the shutter crate show that this camera has had a tough life. Vulkanite is not original either.

To sum up, I think this is somebody’s attempt to try to make a butchered Leica model I into what it should have been originally and by doing so butchered it even more. Or, two cameras were butchered to make one……..

Best,

Jan

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Russians not finished a chamber inside so well finished ....

I did say that I was quite certain this was not a Russian fake.

Another thing - on the picture of the underneath of the shutter speed dial dome, there seems to be another number engraved before the '4'. Looks to be another'4'........ That would give even more credence to my theory of this being a basterdized camera.

Jan

clean this area.and take another clear picture....i dont know that,4883 or L4883 or 14883,i dont know.

perhaps at the top of the mechanism, under the lid above, this engraved the serial number right on the mechanism camera over, as in the Leica IIIC for example ... you think?not is another 4 but could be 4883 or 14883 years 27 or 30,and the chrome....who disarm this camera for chromium?

I'm sorry but having seen the lastest photos I'm more convinced than before that we are looking at a fake Leica.

Some of the fakes are actually worth more that the originals, this camera is not without worth or interest to a collector, but its never been near the Leica factory in its life!

We need an expert to look in on this thread, or you need to take your camera to an appropriate dealer for an opinion.

If you bought it recently and were told that it is genuine, depending on what you paid of course, you really should get such an opinion for your own benefit.

I think its a fake because I've never seen a Leica with this kind of finish before (although I have seen it on Russian fakes), the details are 'sloppy' - compare the fine details to the images I posted a link to above or these ones;

Google Image Result for http://www.fotokor.com/images/medium/1ahektoralt1.jpg

The screw heads on your camera are all very rough, there are all sorts of marks on the metal of the camera body, like it has been purposely distressed to make one beleive that it is an old well used camera, yet other parts look relatively new, like the cover and the felt inside the lens. The serial number and other markings are not present and the engravings are again 'sloppy'. Look at how the shutter dial is 'rounded' on its edges and some of the engravings cut into the side of the dial. I'm offering you my opinion since you asked for info about your camera. Anyway, if you're happy with it that's all that matters isn't it.

listen expert, I am not asking that his state will be judged, but I am asking that tell me if there are chrome and serial number of Leica chrome, not the state of the same, which is what you looking at these, I get the impression , that you've never seen two Leica the I a together.....

and in this link,the cameras are repainted over the black paint......

I think its a fake because I've never seen a Leica with this kind of finish before (although I have seen it on Russian fakes), the details are 'sloppy' - compare the fine details to the images I posted a link to above or these ones;

Google Image Result for http://www.fotokor.com/images/medium/1ahektoralt1.jpg

The screw heads on your camera are all very rough, there are all sorts of marks on the metal of the camera body, like it has been purposely distressed to make one beleive that it is an old well used camera, yet other parts look relatively new, like the cover and the felt inside the lens. The serial number and other markings are not present and the engravings are again 'sloppy'. Look at how the shutter dial is 'rounded' on its edges and some of the engravings cut into the side of the dial. I'm offering you my opinion since you asked for info about your camera. Anyway, if you're happy with it that's all that matters isn't it.

I think the only one who knows is promoting your site, which is that site?

"gusossantos"

or whatever your name might be....... With the attitude that you displayed in your posts I doubt that you will receive any more information. You were told what we think and you refuse to accept it, constantly trumpeting your own ideas about how valuable your Leica abortion might be.

Please accept the fact that no chrome Leica Model I's left the Wetzlar plant in the time period that yours appears to be from. Yours is not even chrome, never was and never will be. It is a result of some kind of butchery, that made a potential collector's item into a worthless piece of junk.

I own a few Model I's (or, as known in the US Model A) and believe me - I can tell what a Model I should look like, what its identifying features are and whether it is real or not.

Accept the facts for what they are and get on with life.

Best,

Jan

Your thread was asking for information on Chrome 1a models and then you post images of a camera that presumably you think is a chrome 1a - I'm only pointing out that the camera shown isn't a genuine 1a IMHO.

I'm not an expert (although I have had an interest in the LTM cameras for over 20 years) nor am I promoting any websites - the links provided were simply to offer comparisons to Leica 1a models which show the correct details and patina of use.

A Leica expert would be able to confirm in an instant, but you seem to be satisfied with your own opinion so fair enough, you don't have to accept other peoples opinions do you.

Your thread was asking for information on Chrome 1a models and then you post images of a camera that presumably you think is a chrome 1a - I'm only pointing out that the camera shown isn't a genuine 1a IMHO.

I'm not an expert (although I have had an interest in the LTM cameras for over 20 years) nor am I promoting any websites - the links provided were simply to offer comparisons to Leica 1a models which show the correct details and patina of use.

A Leica expert would be able to confirm in an instant, but you seem to be satisfied with your own opinion so fair enough, you don't have to accept other peoples opinions do you.

correct, but to make sure something like what you've done, you have to be very safe or Shut up ....