My M9 is eating SD cards [MERGED}

dalippe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For what it's worth, exactly the same with me. I now only have one card which works perfectly with my M9, an old sandisk extreme 3 4GB. Just bought a new one (same type of card) and it won't recognise it. Some old sandisk Ultras work, some don't super pain. Not acceptable. Looking forward to Leica addressing this.

This is really annoying. I'm having trouble with my SanDisk Ultra 8GB cards as well and have no idea what to buy next or how to test it in a store (next week I'm gonna go to B&H, Manhattan).

My 32GB Ultra writes about twice as fast, under 30sec for 7 pictures in a row compared to over 60sec (!) with the 8GBs and did not show any issues yet. Wonderful, let's hope the new firmware fixes things - I'm kind of afraid taking THE picture and find it with 0kb on my card.

• Like 1

I just timed my Sandisk Ultra II 16 Gb - about 20 secs for 8 shots from the end of the series to complete write - and that is not an extremely fast card (15 MB/s).

Edited by jaapv

Just had the exact same problem with the Sandisk 8GB Extreme Pro.

According to one of the customer reviews ("Freddy") on the B&H Photo site, the 45 MB/s Sandisk "Extreme Pro" cards use a technology called UHS-1. He writes that the only camera that is currently compatible with UHS-1 technology is the Nikon D7000. If he is correct, then this may explain problems with this card in the M9. SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory SDSDXP1-016G-A75 B&H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to one of the customer reviews ("Freddy") on the B&H Photo site, the 45 MB/s Sandisk "Extreme Pro" cards use a technology called UHS-1. He writes that the only camera that is currently compatible with UHS-1 technology is the Nikon D7000. If he is correct, then this may explain problems with this card in the M9. SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory SDSDXP1-016G-A75 B&H

Before I knew this when I was having trouble with mine rather than go through a rma I I just shoved my Sandisk extreme 16GB 45mb into the Sony Nex and where it never causes problems and is snappy. The reason I was mad at san disk is I didn't order their latest, was supposed to be getting a 30mb/s one that from what I heard was happy on the M9.

The M9 works fine and is snappier with my two class 10 Transcends 16GB that were in the Nex before; so at least do not need to hunt down a good card.

Before I knew this when I was having trouble with mine rather than go through a rma I I just shoved my Sandisk extreme 16GB 45mb into the Sony Nex and where it never causes problems and is snappy. The reason I was mad at san disk is I didn't order their latest, was supposed to be getting a 30mb/s one that from what I heard was happy on the M9.

The M9 works fine and is snappier with my two class 10 Transcends 16GB that were in the Nex before; so at least do not need to hunt down a good card.

I've been using 16 gb Lexar cards for over 7000 exposures and never a problem. I do fear that many Sandisks are fakes, though I have several 8 gb that work just fine too.

I have an M9 and it is super sensitive to cards, I only have 1 card that it's happy with which is a sandisk extreme 3 4 gb 30mb/s one. I have another one of these cards, bought from a different store at a different time that it won't even see, a bunch of sandisk ultras it either won't see or is extremely slow with. Any chance that the new firmware will address this which I hear is coming out at some point? Anyone have any advice or experience with other brands of cards?

• Like 1

It is amazing - some of us -like me- have M9s that will accept almost any card, and other cameras seem to be extremely picky. Makes me wonder about the cause - and is not a good omen for a firmware fix.

You might have a couple phoney cards.

I've been using Sandisk cards since they were invented (I work in computing), and never had a problem with a REAL one, but there are more counterfeit Sandisks selling online than the real thing. One online seller is dim enough to even have a counterfeit as the picture of their product. I'd not be surprised to find phonies in discount stores everywhere.

I use a Mac, but I understand there is a PC program that can tell you if a card is defective and/or counterfeit. Sometimes you can tell just by looking at the label, but the counterfeiters are getting better and better at copying.

I sympathize with your frustration, but Sandisk will make good on returns

Edited by pico

I have about a dozen 2GB cards from my days with the M8, including mostly Sandisk 2GB Extreme-III, plus a few Kingstons. The day I expected to receive my M9 I brought one of the Sandisks to the office that morning, and the camera didn't recognize it. I was sure I had a DOA camera, but I couldn't ship it back that day, so I brought the rest of my cards to the office the next morning. All the others worked perfectly. Nothing I did to that one Sandisk would convince the M9 to recognize it, but continued to work in my M8. It is now the resident card in my DLux-3.

We've seen a number of reports of this kind of problem posted here. Has anyone dared to contact Leica about it?

In another thread, one working pro posted about having two M9's, one of which took twice as long to write to the card as the other. She shipped the slower one to Leica and among other things, they replaced the SD card receptacle. (The slowness was only one of its several strange behaviors.) Now, it's slightly faster than the other camera.

Anybody considered sending his/her M9 to Leica with the complaint that it's card-finicky?

So I've been asking Leica to recommend me some reliable cards that wont give me lines through the images @ 2500 ISO.

They cant give me a succinct answer.

I perused these threads but I can't seem to find what people think is the BEST.

I have so many ruined images from the damn line, it drives me nuts.

Leica says its the cards, but I don't know.

Anyone have any input?

I'd like to hear from Mark Norton - I think he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks!

Jesse