I love my M4

• 3 months later...

Ordered a replacement skin for my trusty M4 from Aki-Asahi. Based on their instructions (use a toothpick... hah!) and the fact that the vulcanite is already coming off in places, I thought it would be easy to remove the existing covering, but holy guacamole, was I ever wrong. This stuff is STUBBORN! If I knew what I was getting into I probably would have just left it as is...

I spent a few hours cutting it away with a sharp knife the other day until my hands cramped up, and was only about 15% finished. Am now slathering it with paint thinner (tip from Morgan of Camera Leather) every 15-20 minutes and am still not really getting anywhere. Not sure what my next move is, perhaps a Dremel? Seems like a recipe for disaster but it may come to that. 

Here are the "before" pictures:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

It shouldn't be that difficult. Just go slowly, use a flat bladed scraping knife like those found in xacto kits and the vulcanite should just pop off in smaller chips. I've done 5 cameras over the years and only the first one was a teaching experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spydrxx said:

It shouldn't be that difficult. Just go slowly, use a flat bladed scraping knife like those found in xacto kits and the vulcanite should just pop off in smaller chips. I've done 5 cameras over the years and only the first one was a teaching experience.

Thanks. I know it “shouldn’t” be that hard, but for whatever reason, it is… the vulcanite came off in chips as you described close to the edges near the top and bottom plates, around the lens mount, self timer, etc, however all of the “inner” sections seem quite a bit stronger and welded to the body. 

7 hours ago, matted said:

Thanks. I know it “shouldn’t” be that hard, but for whatever reason, it is… the vulcanite came off in chips as you described close to the edges near the top and bottom plates, around the lens mount, self timer, etc, however all of the “inner” sections seem quite a bit stronger and welded to the body. 

It is very difficult.  On my two M3s it only came off after I used extremely caustic paint stripper.  NOT paint thinner!  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Premium-Paint-Remover-and-Stripper-QKPS301/307995061

You brush on the paint stripper, after about 10 minutes the vulcanite is all bubbly goo and it is easy to scrape off.  Wear chemical resistant gloves.

It does not damage the chrome, but it will remove any paint!  So your black screw heads will now be bare metal on the body.

Edited by Huss
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/24/2022 at 2:29 AM, Huss said:

It is very difficult.  On my two M3s it only came off after I used extremely caustic paint stripper.  NOT paint thinner!  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-qt-Premium-Paint-Remover-and-Stripper-QKPS301/307995061

You brush on the paint stripper, after about 10 minutes the vulcanite is all bubbly goo and it is easy to scrape off.  Wear chemical resistant gloves.

It does not damage the chrome, but it will remove any paint!  So your black screw heads will now be bare metal on the body.

Thanks! I didn’t realize the distinction between thinner and stripper. Unfortunately the stripper you linked does not seem to be available in Canada. The only paint strippers I can find here are of the gel variety… I imagine that would still be ok?

On 2/23/2022 at 1:53 PM, spydrxx said:

I’m not sure if the paint thinner I used softened up the vulcanite a bit, but I switched up knives to one closer to what you’re describing and am making progress on the inner bits now. It is still not chipping and needs more force than I would like in places to scrape, but at least it feels doable now. 

• Thanks 1

Very interesting topics,

Sorry to say,

for me not in right place,

images are so ugly 🤢

Don't forget that this thread is " I love my M4 ",

these last posts could be put in other places or new thread created.

Benefit is if in future somebody needs to know how to replace vulcanite, the new thread will be found easier than in this "I love" thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Very interesting topics,

Sorry to say,

for me not in right place,

images are so ugly 🤢

Don't forget that this thread is " I love my M4 ",

these last posts could be put in other places or new thread created.

Benefit is if in future somebody needs to know how to replace vulcanite, the new thread will be found easier than in this "I love" thread

It is because I love it that I'm doing it, but fair point nonetheless. I wasn't necessarily posting it here for advice, but to show the story of my M4. It will make a good makeover display IMHO...

On 2/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, matted said:

Ordered a replacement skin

Is the vulcanite quite the same as the old skin? I mean do you leaf the old skin of the backdoor intact?

Edited by otto.f

• Like 1

13 hours ago, matted said:

Thanks! I didn’t realize the distinction between thinner and stripper. Unfortunately the stripper you linked does not seem to be available in Canada. The only paint strippers I can find here are of the gel variety… I imagine that would still be ok?

Yes, it's a thick gel.  Coat it on, wait 10 minutes and the vulcanite has turned into goo.

7 hours ago, otto.f said:

Is the vulcanite quite the same as the old skin? I mean do you leaf the old skin of the backdoor intact?

It is quite close, however the replacement is slightly more matte I think. I was going to leave the door but since I am going through all the trouble I am probably going to swap it out as well. I’ll take a picture of them side by side before I remove it. 

37 minutes ago, Huss said:

Yes, it's a thick gel.  Coat it on, wait 10 minutes and the vulcanite has turned into goo.

Thanks again. I made a lot of progress scraping today (right side totally clean and left side 50% done so I am just going to finish the job with the x-acto knives. 

• 2 weeks later...

🌿🍀

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

M4 and 50 Summicron DR

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2