I love my M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have used Sherry and YeYe frequently but never DAG.  YeYe is probably the fastest and responds great to emails.  I have spent hours on the phone with Sherry talking Leica's, motorcycles and lots of other stuff but she does not respond to emails and telephone communication is catch as catch can.  My recommendation for a CLA is YeYe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Dove into film photography this year (yes, I am one of those people driving prices up) after getting a Pentax K1000 to "test the waters." After my first roll came back, I was hooked - I live in Tokyo, where I can still walk 5 minutes down the street, drop off my film for processing at lunch, and pick it up before dinner. There's something liberating about the process of not checking LCD screens and not taking 10+ shots trying to get the "perfect" one.

The K1000 is actually a pretty good camera for me, but I wanted to try out some modern glass and something slightly less clunky. I was debating between a Leica M or a Nikon FM3A and the local camera store just happened to get a Leica M4 right in my budget ($1,500) that was in great condition and had just been overhauled. Jumped on it and took it home with no idea what lens I would even put on it, since I didn't even think that far!

After doing some research (conclusion: basically any lens you can put on a Leica is pretty good, especially for film), I went back to find a 50mm lens. On my budget, it was used Leicas or new Zeiss or Voigtlander. Nothing against them, but I wasn't interested in the Chinese manufacturers for my first lens. My main concern with ergonomics - I didn't need the image to be perfect, but I wanted something that felt very good to shoot.

I narrowed it down to:
- Zeiss Planar T* 50mm
- Voigtlander Nokton 50mm 1.5 II,
- Two versions of the Summicron f/2

The Voigtlander was the fastest, but I didn't like the grip on the aperture ring - has two tabs that were hard to grip, so it was immediately out. I don't know if it was because they were used (although seemingly in excellent condition), but both of the Summicrons did not feel as good as the Zeiss or Voigtlander in terms of the friction when focusing - they were harder to set in motion, yet more loose once they started. It made fine focusing annoying because I kept overshooting it. The other lenses felt smooth the whole way through. The Summicrons are also slightly bigger, which made the camera slightly front-heavy.

I almost went with a Summicron because I liked the physical look of the lens thought getting something with the Leica name on it might be a good idea, but came to my senses and thought - "what would I choose if I didn't know the brands of any of these lenses?" and knew the Zeiss was the right choice. The balance was perfect, focusing smooth, aperture easy to grip, and was 1/3 the price of either Leica brand new. (As an aside, I want a 35mm lens now, and I feel like I'm gonna reach the same conclusion and end up with another Zeiss lens, which seems like a boring outcome).

Anyways, immediately loaded up a role of film and did my best with sunny 16 and Portra 400, which I heard had the best latitude. Shot a roll around the neighborhood and took it for developing that day to make sure everything was fine. It was my first time shooting without a lightmeter and thought for sure I would have blown some shots, but almost every shot on the roll was decently exposed. To make a long story short, yes, I love my Leica M4, can't wait to shoot it more, and thanks for staying with me through this :)

• Like 11

Such a great story! I will be picking up the Zeiss 21mm f4.5 in a week from a local enthusiast that I met. I prefer the wider angle as most of my focus has been on landscape however, I do love the way portraits with a wide turn out so nicely exaggerated. I have a friend that has loaned me an older version of his Summicron 35 and yes, I discovered that the focusing was highly resistive. He also loaned his 50mm Summicron. I'm a little torn. I'm not sure the 50mm is for me as the 35mm is lovely as I was considering a kit to be 21, 35, 90mm. Now, I'm reconsidering the 50mm for portraits and foregoing the 90mm. I'm starting down the road of looking at different film stocks and developing at home. I haven't done that in years!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, nicelynice said:

Dove into film photography this year (yes, I am one of those people driving prices up) after getting a Pentax K1000 to "test the waters." After my first roll came back, I was hooked - I live in Tokyo, where I can still walk 5 minutes down the street, drop off my film for processing at lunch, and pick it up before dinner. There's something liberating about the process of not checking LCD screens and not taking 10+ shots trying to get the "perfect" one.

The K1000 is actually a pretty good camera for me, but I wanted to try out some modern glass and something slightly less clunky. I was debating between a Leica M or a Nikon FM3A and the local camera store just happened to get a Leica M4 right in my budget ($1,500) that was in great condition and had just been overhauled. Jumped on it and took it home with no idea what lens I would even put on it, since I didn't even think that far!

After doing some research (conclusion: basically any lens you can put on a Leica is pretty good, especially for film), I went back to find a 50mm lens. On my budget, it was used Leicas or new Zeiss or Voigtlander. Nothing against them, but I wasn't interested in the Chinese manufacturers for my first lens. My main concern with ergonomics - I didn't need the image to be perfect, but I wanted something that felt very good to shoot.

I narrowed it down to:
- Zeiss Planar T* 50mm
- Voigtlander Nokton 50mm 1.5 II,
- Two versions of the Summicron f/2

The Voigtlander was the fastest, but I didn't like the grip on the aperture ring - has two tabs that were hard to grip, so it was immediately out. I don't know if it was because they were used (although seemingly in excellent condition), but both of the Summicrons did not feel as good as the Zeiss or Voigtlander in terms of the friction when focusing - they were harder to set in motion, yet more loose once they started. It made fine focusing annoying because I kept overshooting it. The other lenses felt smooth the whole way through. The Summicrons are also slightly bigger, which made the camera slightly front-heavy.

I almost went with a Summicron because I liked the physical look of the lens thought getting something with the Leica name on it might be a good idea, but came to my senses and thought - "what would I choose if I didn't know the brands of any of these lenses?" and knew the Zeiss was the right choice. The balance was perfect, focusing smooth, aperture easy to grip, and was 1/3 the price of either Leica brand new. (As an aside, I want a 35mm lens now, and I feel like I'm gonna reach the same conclusion and end up with another Zeiss lens, which seems like a boring outcome).

Anyways, immediately loaded up a role of film and did my best with sunny 16 and Portra 400, which I heard had the best latitude. Shot a roll around the neighborhood and took it for developing that day to make sure everything was fine. It was my first time shooting without a lightmeter and thought for sure I would have blown some shots, but almost every shot on the roll was decently exposed. To make a long story short, yes, I love my Leica M4, can't wait to shoot it more, and thanks for staying with me through this :)

Congrats!   It doesn’t get any better than an M2,3 or 4.

I also have the ZM 50mm Planar.  It is a beautiful lens in both the mechanical design and the images it produces.  No way am I spending twice as much for a used summicron or three times as much for a new one.  I am also going to add a 35mm soon.  Initially I was leaning towards a ZM Biogon 2.8, but I am now leaning towards the Voigtlander 35mm f2 Ultron.  I previously owned the 35mm summicron ASPH.  It was nice, but not in proportion to its outrageous price.  I sold it for minimal loss.

4 hours ago, andrew01 said:

Congrats!   It doesn’t get any better than an M2,3 or 4.

I also have the ZM 50mm Planar.  It is a beautiful lens in both the mechanical design and the images it produces.  No way am I spending twice as much for a used summicron or three times as much for a new one.  I am also going to add a 35mm soon.  Initially I was leaning towards a ZM Biogon 2.8, but I am now leaning towards the Voigtlander 35mm f2 Ultron.  I previously owned the 35mm summicron ASPH.  It was nice, but not in proportion to its outrageous price.  I sold it for minimal loss.

I’ve been hooked on YouTube’s Matt Osborne, MrLeica.com??, and he’s a very big fan of the Voigtlander 35 f1.4 ASPH

I don't usually comment on specific lenses because each photographer has things they look for in a lens which may not be of value to another individual.  Some like speed or want a focus lever or worry about size or bokeh (recent invention as we did not even know the term back in the 1970's).  To my mind just about everything sold today is all good.  If it was not, it would not sell (advantage of capitalism).  

I own a variety of Leica M mount lenses from all three major manufacturers (Leica, Zeiss and Voightlander).  I will say that the Zeiss 35f2.8 C Biogon is probably my favorite lens of everything on the market.  The size, sharpness, cost just ring all the bells.  Paired with a Leica M2 and a roll of TriX or Porta 400, it just does not get any better.  And pairing it with an M4 is just as good as an M2 (both being my favorite film bodies!).

Again, we all have our favorite features when it comes to buying cameras or lenses or film, but the C Biogon may be one of the best buys out there.  Sometimes I wish it was f2 but I have a 35f1.2 for when I need speed which is not often (and I am not even talking digital).

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

The best fit to Leica M4 is

Summicron-M 35mm IV 😉

without hood, it IS smart, and so nice to use

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Summicron-M 35mm IV 😉

It is a lovely lens. I was loaned one by a good friend along with the 50 Summicron while I saved my money. I wound up buying the Zeiss 21 f/4.5 and found a terrific price on a new Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. Love them both especially the rendition, contrast, size, and of course the price! I managed to pick up an older style 21mm Leica ext viewfinder for under 200CAD. I was thinking about skipping the 50mm and adding a 90mm to round out the kit. 

21 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Summicron-M 35mm IV 😉

Does it flair much without the hood?  I have the ASPH V2 and much prefer it’s looks without the hood. 🤣

48 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

Does it flair much without the hood?  I have the ASPH V2 and much prefer it’s looks without the hood. 🤣

Yes it flares 'a bit', if using without thinking, ...but I know it well to include this as feature in my pics...

In my kind of style, the hood would not help much (in contre-jour situations mosly).

I try not to hit the lens when in use, so no filter in most cases which I learn not to use (or sometimes coloured filter for b&w when I need).

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

My M4 returned after a brief hiatus (sold it to a friend a few months ago and bought it back from him today)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looks fabulous and you are lucky to have it come back to you. It looks as if it was well cared for. I just noticed that the leatherette on the back door of mine has lost it's "suppleness" and the glue has started to fail. I'll need to remove and repair it soon. Otherwise, no faults with the camera at all. I just picked up the old style 21mm viewfinder, used, with a tiny crack in the glass (doesn't effect the composition) so my kit is reasonably complete. A 21mm f/4.5 Zeiss & Leica Viewfinder and a Zeiss 35mm f/2.8.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

M4 of 1967 with tis new vulcanite

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not shown is the 21mm viewfinder. I’ll have to post the others later. Zeiss 21mm f/4.5

• Like 1