I love my M4

On 4/15/2011 at 11:01 AM, Beta Photography said:

I think the silver Leica is more elegant look while the black one is like a military look camera

Silver is also easier to take care compared to black one

How is silver easier to take care of?

• Like 1

Okay, had to jump from the "I Love My M4-2" thread to this one as my questionably CLA'd M4-2 went back to the dealer for a full refund. I really wanted a "pure 4" more anyway so much to my surprise one turned up at a local dealer for a good bit less than I had paid for the M4-2. Not CLA'd but seemingly in good working condition with focus and shutter speed accuracy checked and a chance to run film through it the next few days and still be able to return it. Very slight haze in the viewfinder but far less than the -2 had and with good contrast and a brighter, crisper image than the  supposedly CLA'd -2 had.

Looking forward to film testing it tomorrow and if nothing frightening turns up it should be a keeper with enough price leeway I can send it to YYE, or DAG for a real CLA. The -2 had been priced at full dealer CLA'd dollars so had to margin to pay for another service on top of what I had already sunk into it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Congratulations! In my view the M4 is a better camera, owning my third M4 now and not having owned the M4-2 but had it many times in my hand, several copies, to decide if I liked it. Every time I felt it had more wear and issues than the M4's I met.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My favorite handgrip: 90mm Tele Elmarit

Purchased this kit 50 years ago.
Kept the boxes, manuals. 21VF (not shown) and MR have a case.
Leitz filters, original caps on all the lenses.
Reprovit stud added to enable Benser baseplate use.
Still work and look super - scuffs on bottom of camera, else v. slight paint wear.

Not sure what value for insurance purposes??

Edited by sf_photo
Yes
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, otto.f said:

Very nice. I vaguely remember that I had one lens as a grip, but I forgot how that worked. Can you show us the bottom without the lenses, so, before mounting?

Here is a link to a photo:
https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/24028-large_default/benser-m-base-plate-for-m2-3.jpg

• Thanks 1

A new member of this thread here. I have just bought this first batch (1967) M4 from @gabrielaszalos - in great condition and I'm about to run a roll of Tri-X through it. I've added a 1977 Canadian Summilux 35. I will use it entirely for B&W, so no point in the photo being anything different.

• Like 11

Congratulations on your purchase! I've just polished of a few rolls of Rollei RPX 25 and 100 and one of Ilford HP5. Looking forward t the results. I was very happy with the 35mm Summicron (Canada) that I borrowed from a great friend of mine while I was saving for some glass. I ran a couple of rolls of Acros through it with the Leitz 35 and the contrast and detail were amazing. These rolls were shot on my M4 with the Zeiss 35 f/2.8 as my budget would not allow for the Summi's price tag. I'll post some of the results when I figure a better way to scan the images as my V600 is not the best for my 35mm; awesome for my 67, yet kind of meh for the 35. Stronly considering picking up a Plustek off eBay for the 35.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been too long since I used a 35mm film camera - I forgot to check that the film was properly on the take-up spool, so lost 10 (utterly uninteresting) test shots before I saw the rewind knob wasn't turning. I'll get back into the swing of it soon. I've been shooting large format recently, which doesn't have such problems.

• 4 weeks later...

So exciting, I've just got the test roll of a new old vintage M4. I can't wait until MP right in place. Sorry pal, maybe I'll get one in the future.
All the test frames are exposed accurately as expected. I am using a Gossen 1° spot meter for light metering.
No light leak, low-speed shutter responds precisely, evrything works outstaningly and the OVF is remarkablely crystal clear.
I am wondering if I should get an additional light meter in terms of mobility(Gossen Digiflash II) at the moment.

I'd like to share few shots with you guys and girls here(sorry about the low resolution scan from the out-tasking shop):

Outdoor, Agfapan APX 400, M4

Indoor, low light at evening.

Night scene, hand held without tripod.

Edited by Erato
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, analogue pete said:

Nice shots and congratulations on your purchase. impressive with handholding; what was the shutter speed? Location?

Hey Pete, thank you so much for your kind words and congrats. The shutter speed at around 1/15 and 1/30 sec if my memory is correct.

And last photo was taken place at National Taichung Theater, in the central part of Taiwan.

Others were taken at the sidewalk and nearby café around the National Taiwan Museum of Fine Art.

Cheers -- 

Edited by Erato
  • Like 1

The beauty of the new leaf.

A well-balanced outlook with FLE limited edition mounted.

• Like 4