If You Really Want One Buy From the EU and Save $$$

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the Euro heading into the toilet this is an opportunity to save big $ on buying direct from an EU country. For example the X1 from SHPhoto in Germany sells the X1 sans VAT for a converted rate of $1588 (Euro at $1.22). You can have it shipped via Postal Express and there is not import duty on cameras. The M9 sells for $5633 saving you $1361 over the US price. Worth pre-ordering and prepaying to get that big a savings. :)

I am looking to purchase the X1. I just checked SHPhoto in Germany. They are out of stock and the purchase price is 1550 Euros. I don't see where the savings would be with the exchange rate?

I would appreciate it if anyone would point be to a store that would sell me this camera for a cheaper price. Thank you.

I am looking to purchase the X1. I just checked SHPhoto in Germany. They are out of stock and the purchase price is 1550 Euros. I don't see where the savings would be with the exchange rate?

I would appreciate it if anyone would point be to a store that would sell me this camera for a cheaper price. Thank you.

Make sure you compare prices excluding VAT, since it does not apply on export sales. The one you mention seems to include the tax.

Currently the best price I see is 1332 euros ($1634) using paypal and free german worldwide. If you had to use a credit card, add another $5-60 or so (3% fee) and if you use ups add another $70-80.

With ups and credit card payments it goes up to 1403 euros ($1720) - so a bit less than 10% savings for most people who want the cam in a reasonable time and don't want to muck about with paypal.

I guess it depends how patient one is :)

Currently the best price I see is 1332 euros ($1634) using paypal and free german worldwide. If you had to use a credit card, add another $5-60 or so (3% fee) and if you use ups add another $70-80.

Yes, where did you see this price? I have not seen it for 1332 euros. The cheapest I've found was 1550 euros. No savings at all.

• 2 weeks later...

How about customs brokerage? I remember UPS used to charge >$100 for customs declaration, and declaration is needed even if import duties are not applicable. Otherwise buying from Germany seems like a good deal. The 3% credit card fee is a bit of a drag though.

How about customs brokerage? I remember UPS used to charge >$100 for customs declaration, and declaration is needed even if import duties are not applicable. Otherwise buying from Germany seems like a good deal. The 3% credit card fee is a bit of a drag though.

Ship via their postal service and you avoid the customs brokerage fees. The USPS delivers it in the US.

UPS and DHL do this. I bought a $250 bag once and got a bill 3 months later for $50 in duty they "paid for me." I never paid it but I know not to ship with them anymore or else I am told my name is flagged and they will hold any new packages until I pay all fees.

This was about 8 months ago and with DHL.