Worn/brassed M9 - pls share pictures to show Grey and Black wears

artspraken

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pls share some pictures to show what a brassed M9 looks like?

By now, some of you have owned your M9s for at least 6 months.

Please accept my grateful thanks. Research shows that Grey and Black paint wears differently. Some says Grey looks better when worn, some say Black looks better.

Edited by artspraken

I've had a black M9 for 6 months, no signs of wear at all, 4000 exposures.

And a second black M9 for a week, which is all the time it took for the middle of the M white lettering to flake off, leaving me with a "1 1 9". I lost part of the M on one of my silver M8s, but that took more like 3 years.

scott

My grey paint has started to wear off in the two left corners. Once the first specks of paint are gone, it spreads quite quickly though it is still restricted to a small area for the moment.

Whether it looks good or not, I personally don't care as long as the camera works.

Really curious to see pictures of brassed grey paint.

For black, the internet has many images of brassed black Ms.

Steel Gray with brass is unique. I don't think there has been older M models with this scheme before. I wonder how hideous or good looking a brassed grey looks like. Grey and Brass seems a strange combo.

I've had my steel grey M9 since 11 September & the black one for about 6 weeks. No wear on the black M9 yet.

The steel grey has been with me just about everyday since then Sept. and is starting to wear through, it's only visible on really close up inspection as you can see from the pic.

The bottom plate gives you a better indication of what can happen.

Draw your own conclusions.............

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For black, the internet has many images of brassed black Ms.

Brassed M's yes, but not brassed M9's, yet.

The paint on the M9 isn't the same as that on previous black cameras, probably an epoxy coating, and is very hard wearing.

Steve

Brassed M's yes, but not brassed M9's, yet.

The paint on the M9 isn't the same as that on previous black cameras, probably an epoxy coating, and is very hard wearing.

Steve

Well, mine DOES show minute brassing already after 3 months of daily use. I use a soft Billingham, but no protection on the camera itself. I don´t exactly baby it, but let´s say I´m aware of its value....

Also, the white paint on the front "M" is going.

Here are some D-Lux 4 snaps of it. In 10 years time, it will look like Gary Winogrand´s...:rolleyes:

Well, mine DOES show minute brassing already after 3 months of daily use. I use a soft Billingham, but no protection on the camera itself. I don´t exactly baby it, but let´s say I´m aware of its value....

Also, the white paint on the front "M" is going.

Here are some D-Lux 4 snaps of it. In 10 years time, it will look like Gary Winogrand´s...:rolleyes:

Its not a universal rule. I've seen a very brassed M9 posted on the internet after only a couple of months, and its pretty obvious its a sandpaper job done to make the owner look like a rough tough Leica shooter. I've got brass on mine when its been swung against a tripod and various other things. But its not 'brassed', its just scratched, and there is a subtle difference.

Steve

9 months daily use, without a case, but using the Billingham. It has travelled over 50.000 km in that time and I try to be a bit considerate, but it is treated as a tool. Just a few edge brass spots on the top and no damage to the bottom plate. And of course the on-off switch and the (black chrome) shutter ring are worn.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Couple of months of daily use and without any protection except for a Thumbs-Up and I can see no wear on the black paint anywhere. Can't say the same for the Thumbs-Up, however!

I have a Kirk PZ-118 permanently affixed to the bottom plate and that might protect the camera body from any scratches or brassing.

I have been very pleasantly surprised on the paint and battery life quality following the many posts here while I waited for the M9.

I wouldn't buy a painted M9 camera.

I understand the romantic appeal of those brassed Ms. It is a good option for many users. The lacquered version of the MP camera is so beautiful!

But I cannot understand why Leica forces all users to take this finish. It degrades the second hand value of the camera.

This is the only aesthetic flaw of the M9 camera, but it is a serious one.

I will wait for real chrome versions.

brassym9DSC_4220-Version2.jpg

brassym9DSC_4219-Version21.jpg

brassym9DSC_4213-Version2.jpg

daily & professional use since Halloween.

the m9 received a great introduction to music. it's 1st day was voodoo fest in new orleans, its 2nd was phish festival 8 in indio, ca!

• Like 9

A picture truly speaks a thousand words.

This thread is the best for the "M9 grey v. black" so far. Nowhere else have I seen worn M9 pics. From the pics, the reader can judge for themselves.

I think both Black and Grey have a distinct charm when worn in.

Quite interestingly, it appears the Thumbs Up module protects one side of the M9 edge against wear.

Well, Ruben, maybe because this coating wears better than chrome?

Well, I mean real chrome on brass, black or silver. The original black M8 was chromed, not painted.

I have the chrome silver M8 and it hasn't signs of wear. It is very resistant and durable.You can see old chrome silver M3 or M2 cameras (black cameras were fashionable much later) and they look terrific, if treated with care.

Well, I mean real chrome on brass, black or silver. The original black M8 was chromed, not painted.

I have the chrome silver M8 and it hasn't signs of wear. It is very resistant and durable.You can see old chrome silver M3 or M2 cameras (black cameras were fashionable much later) and they look terrific, if treated with care.

I agree, my chrome M8s didn't show any wear after years of continuous use... I can't say the same for my M9... even if I'm aware of some supposed improvement in grey painting after the first dispatched cameras.

Well I have said it before and I will say it again. GIVE ME CHROME, GIVE ME CHROME!!!

Seriously, for 7k, I think if I want real chrome MP style, I should be able to get it. Those of you who love paint rubbing off, good health and cheers to you! As for me, I know what I want. Yes, photos are more important than camera finishes, but hey, 7k is 7k, and that 7k is not coming as easy (if it ever did) as it did in the past for many.

Hi guys, Sorry if I'm a bit OOT.

When I look those M9 pictures, I believe that the shutter counts on those camera must be already very high.

Is anyone know what is the shutter life of Leica M9? OR maybe someone here already replace the shutter with the new one? :)

Thank You

Andree