Name this car....

Nigel, not a Perentie.  S111 109" as you say, built under license from CKD with a lot of local content, probably at the Enfield plant, between '73 and '83.

The Perentie was a later model on the coil sprung chassis as far as I can see.  If you have the chassis or VIN number, might be able to source some additional information

I think from memory it’s a ‘74 or ‘76. (As someone born/raised in Solihull I’m sometimes embarrassed by my lack of LR knowledge/enthusiasm...)

I think you should probably “press-on” with the next one

Edited by NigelG

Graham, alloow me to take a crack at this -  I am posting this more or less as 'filler' material to excercise 'the little gray cells' until the next puzzle car that hopefully engages wider interest.

This one is a one-off, definetely historic, yet not very well known, not even among the cognoscenti, but interesting nevertheless..............and no, it's not a Ferrari Testa Rossa.

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

The tyres are L section Dunlop historic racing (originally R5's), so I would guess 1960's. A US built low production or maybe one off race car on a Corvette chassis? 

Wilson

Very perceptive, Wilson. It is a very low production example with only three chassis constructed in 1962, although it uses a Corvette engine only, not the entire chassis.....definitely on the right track though - no pun intended.

Yes, Stuart, it is reminiscent of the 'privateer' version of the Ferrari Testarossa race car series, which were built for aerodynamic reasons, whereas this car's fenders look as they do for reasons of complying with various U.S.race-car class rules. When the subject of fenders on this car is understood and clarified, you will have your answer / solution.

A further crop to help things along.

JZG

Since it appears that no further guesses are forthcoming, here's the story behind this 'puzzle car'.

It's Frank Kurtis's last Hurrah. After founding Kurtis Kraft to build quarter-midget racers in the '30s, he went on to build more than 110 Indianapolis race cars, Formula 1 cars, and in total produced more than 2000 midgets, drag racers, sports cars as well as road cars. This creation, called the Kurtis Aguila, was the last car he ever had a hand in producing in 1962 to fulfill a request by Texas-based motorcyle racer-turned-racecar-driver Herb Stelter for a car he could race in the sports car class. Herb also had the idea that if the fenders were removable he could enter the car in the then newly proposed Formula 366 open wheel class with 6-liter V8s ( which never advanced beyond the planning stage ) so he could participate in more events. Quoting the essential Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance handbook every attendee receives "Sadly, Stelter didn't have the ability to manage the extreme power-to-weight ratio of his 327 cu.inch Chevrolet-powered new car, and although he out-qualified the opposition frequently, he also often crashed. With the introduction of rear-engined sports cars, the Aguila wasn't the success he hoped for and it was retired in 1965."

The specs of the car are fairly standard Kurtis Kraft fare for the period: Kurtis chrome-moly steel tubing ladder frame, 88" wheelbase, Kurtis solid rear axle with Halibrand 'Quik change' rear end, modified 327 cu. in.Chevy motor with triple Stromberg carbs, coupled to a Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed gearbox with Halibrand magnesium wheels all around - weight 1650 lbs.

SL / 24-90 V.E.

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

.........and an image during the Pebble Berach Tour d'Elegance prior to being exhibited on the lawn, showing what seem like fairly odd proportions with the driver /owner in the car.

Whoever wishes to take the next turn............please have at it.

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup
  • Like 1

Am 24.8.2021 um 20:41 schrieb John Z. Goriup:

Whoever wishes to take the next turn............please have at it.

since there hasn`t been another picture since tuesday I dare to post one: