Name this car....

I'll take a wild stab at this, and guess that we may be looking at the inside of the rear floor / trunk compartment of a 1980s or '90s era hatchback.....perhaps a 924 or 944 Porsche, although those didn't have the exposed top-mounting of the rear shocks as shown in the pic. It almost appear that this may be one of those car-show models that's been cut open with the body sheet-metal removed to expose the structure....otherwise one most likely would not be able to see the rear shocks so clearly. 

JZG

Cut open Porsche is correct

here is some more

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by a.j.z
  • Like 1

I'm glad I got close without being sure of the exact model, but I am certain it's not a 911- if it were there would be a flat six motor hanging between the rear wheels. Also, my '87 944 Turbo S came with Pirelli P7 245 - 45 x 16s  which was the lowest profile sports car tire available at the time.

The shape of the rear hatch/window with the ventilation slots in the body, the rear windshield wiper motor mounted in the window ( a constant scource of water leaks) makes me want to double down on my guess that it's one of the water-cooled four-cylinder coupes.

JZG

• Like 1

Its definitely not a 911, the window shape is wrong and it has a gas strut for opening. I would guess like John a 944 or 968. I don't think it can be a 928, as that has coil-over suspension at the back. Porsche used low profile tyres very early. The original back tyres on my 1977 911 RSR were 275/45 r15 and 225/50 r15 at the front, the rears are now sadly unobtainable as road tyres, with the nearest being Michelin MXW 255/45 r15, which Michelin make specially for Porsche and Alpine (at a specially high price). 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No 924, 944 and 968 and of course no 911 - not much left

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a.j.z said:

No 924, 944 and 968 and of course no 911 - not much left

If I recall correctly, the 2nd generation 1985 1/2 944 series model came out with a Turbo model they called the 951....but it was basically just a 944 with different front end styling, a lower rear spoiler. For what it's worth,I see the rear bumper on the cutaway as pure 968.

Porsche also made a very small series ( I belive arond 20 or so units ) of 944s for the British market called the S2 Sports Equipment model, but it was never a seperate model offrered to dealers world wide - it had a 'bi-plane rear spoiler just as shown on the cutaway car.

Other than that I'm fresh out of guesses.

JZG

• Thanks 1

Aplogies for my typing error causing confusion, I meant to write no 928.

Of course it is the 968 from 1991. As you correctly assumed it was produced by Porsche as a demo modell but is now in a private museum in Gmünd, Austria.

Your turn again, John!

Edited by a.j.z

Thank you, Andreas. As long as we're in the German-speaking countries, let's remain there and figure this one out.

Rare, somewhat exotic and rather successful................the usual information please.

JZG

Correct on all counts, Wilson.It's a 1938-9 Auto-Union Wanderer 'Stromlinie Special', one of three made. Aluminum-bodied,900kg dry weight, with Ferdinand Porsche designed W-25 2-liter inline six-cylinder motor with three carburetors making aprox. 60 HP, but given the low weight and very slippery shape capable of an impressive 160 kilmoeters per hour. They finished the 1939 Liege-Rome-Liege Rally 1,2&3.

PS: In their  efforts to avoid total destruction in 1945, Audi dispersed their historic treasures all over Germany, but all three Streamliners were destroyed by allied bombing, therefore this is a 'recreation' or continuation if you will. Speaking ton Audi reps when I saw rthis car, they went out of their way to assure everyone that original chassis, motors and key components that survived the war were used and that these are truly authentic and faithful to the last detail.

Leica M9-P / 35mm Summilux FLE.

JZG

Edited by John Z. Goriup
  • Like 4

....and a front view.

Your turn, Wilson

JZG

• Like 5

Here is the next one. I think the usual suspects may be onto this one in a flash. 

Wilson