Let's talk bags for the M8

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep! No bag is great. I haven't ordered a M8, but I carry my M6 with 35 lux in the pcoket of my coat - Barbour or Goretex whichever I have on - and a spare lens (75 lux or 90 TE) in the other pocket. When I carry my DMR, well that's a completely different matter! I carry mine around in a lowepro orion daybag - small enough, with space for other things.

Charlie

I have the Billinghm for Leica bag, which comes with the Hadley insert. The main compartment accommodates the M8 with any lens - usually the 35 Asph; this leaves one side compartment that holds (just) a 24 Asph and a 50 Summicron; and the other side holds a 90 Elmarit. The front zippered pouch still has room for various bits and pieces. It is good and compact.

The only reservation is that the camera sits high at the top of the bag, and if you sit the bag down on its side without doing up the clips, the camera can fall out ...!!! I have attached two velcro strips to the flap on the Hadley insert, so that even when the top flap of the bag is not done up, the camera is still protected from emerging from the bag.

Does anybody out there use the Image Smith ? Can it take a camera with Abrahamsson Rapidwinder easily?

I have used the Mclassic bag for 8 years and liked it a lot, but it feels like the M8 and it's back screen needs some more padding.

I tried the "camera and lense" only idea and used the neoprene hood to cover the cam - it certainly works nicely in some situations, but I came across more situations where I wanted a small bag for the extra lense and maybe a battery and a cleaning cloth.

I ended up with this one here, which actually does not look much like a camera bag, which was a pro for me as well.

Crumpler

Dirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think I'd like both the MClassics and Artisan bags with one BIG exception. It looks like neither would protect from a big down pour.

What is the solution? Carry plastic bags in your camera big?

Best,

Mitchell

I always carry Zip-Lock bags, the large size. I first started carrying them as weather protection but have found so many other uses for them.

After getting my M8 two days ago i went out and found this bag yesterday. http://www.crumpler.nl/?page=details&product=DA210-001&size=

I know every bag needs a little getting used to before you can really tell if the love is meant to last, but so far everything seems fine. I have added a couple of pads from an old lowepro bag and now i have one larger compartment for the body with a lens attached and four smaller compartment for additional lenses. The zipper in the front reveals a hidden (larger than expected) pocket to stash all your extra's. I keep a Gigavu Pro in there. The cover also has a pocket.

Regards

Hans

A PDF catalogue of Crumpler bags can be downloaded here:

http://www.crumpler.nl/files/generic_files/CAT_3_PDF_EN/file1125439548.pdf

This cataloque is well worth viewing for the excellent photography of Saigon street life that it contains, as well as for an insight into the refreshing, non politically-correct Australian sense of humour.

Malcolm

The Lowepro Omnitraveller is ideal for M camera's, if you want to take the whole kit. The lens pockets are not deep, so no fishing for lenses, it is incredibly compact for what it can hold, it has a practical top flap to get to the camera and two more favorite lenses and it does not scream "Camera"

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture.jpg

I find the Billingham range is unbeatable. Things have changed if you are flying and are now strictly limited to one item of hand luggage (defined to include a laptop bag) , with unlocked hold baggage. On a recent trip I took on board the Hadley Packington which held my M8, 4 lenses etc, Vaio Notebook computer, Palm Treo, Ipod, sunglasses and other expensive/fragile items plus a book and papers.

In my main luggage I packed a small Hadley with all the chargers and leads which form part of modern life, and on arrival used this to carry about the M8 plus 3-4 lenses etc. In previous days this would have been too small - with two camera bodies and various types of film to cover all conditions.

Both these bags are slim so hang from the shoulder without projecting out too far from the body, and are well padded, elegant and weatherproof. Moreover the main compartment of the Packington can be locked with a padlock - and no noisy velcro either.

Back home the Hadley Pro is my favourite, a bit larger and with a zippable back compartment for papers as well. In fact I must admit I have a black one to be inconspicuous in town and a khaki version for the country.

• 3 weeks later...

Arrgghh! Just can't find the right bag .... :(

The M8 & Lenses seems to roll around all my other bags, and having spent a LOT of time round the local stores trying just about anyting and everything that looks even close, I am no nearer to finding the right one. At this point it's all in my old (very old) Camcorder bag with lots of extra dividers....

Arrgghh!!

The Lowepro Omnitraveller is ideal for M camera's, if you want to take the whole kit. The lens pockets are not deep, so no fishing for lenses, it is incredibly compact for what it can hold, it has a practical top flap to get to the camera and two more favorite lenses and it does not scream "Camera"

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture.jpg

Wow Jaap

This is by far the most interesting bag I have seen to date. I use two different Artisan bags. I am using the Image Smith bag for the "whole magilla" and the Oscar Barnack for the body with 28mm attached and two additional lenses. These are wonderful bags but the Loweproe seems special.

Thanks for the info

Woody Spedden

I have an old Prat Mariner. They are a French company well known for portfolio cases. Unfortunately I don't think they make camera bags any more. Exterior size is: 39 x 25 x 13cm., perfect for M. I removed the original padded insert and use domke inserts, lighter and more flexible.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have the Artist and Artisan Sabastio's Reporter bag. Beatuifully made and looking but with one great flaw - the leather flap has velcro and draws too much attention for my tastes. So I always resort back to my trusty Domke small satchel - the Ballistic 803 I believe. Have it tricked out with a Tamrac insert (don't ask - but it works great much better than flimsy Domke's) and Optechs weight reduction strap. I like the Billingham bags, particuarly the 106 or 206 but need to save $ first. I have a secondhand Billingham 550 and love that when I need to carry lots of gear. Billingham's have thei own drawbacks (like silly hanging straps).

I think somebody would do well to create a bag line that was ultimately photographer friendly yet hip and fashionable. I can't stand the whole Tamrac/Lowepro et al look - fine for purely commercial gigs but definitely not travel, street work. They usually scream photographer and are uncomfortable. I use a backpack for certain commercial gigs but find it really awkward for changing lenses, etc while on the go but is nice for relief for aching right shoulder!

Guest guy_mancuso
I've had the A&A Oskar's One Day bag for a few weeks now and love it. It's the same as Sebasto's Reporter, except slightly smaller. The only thing I can think of that would make Oskar's even better would be the inclusion of one additional divider.

I knew you would like that one Jan. Sweet little bag . Yes one more divider or even a side pouch for the 15mm would be perfect