Let's talk bags for the M8

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As we are in limbo at the moment waiting for our special delivery packages to be dropped at our doors. The question remains are you ready and where will you put all those precious lenses and bodies into a carrying container to lug around the world or to your local coffee shop to get a cup of coffee.

There are many choices out there the shoulder, the sling, the carry all. the backpack, the messenger, the small but buldging bag your afraid to stick a pack of gum in and there always is the brown paper bag. The hundreds of choices and such personal ones at that but this begs the question what bag do you own. Photos would be great

So i will start this bag adventure . I bought a Artisian &Artist brand the Image Smith bag from photo village

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you need one for each shoulder to balance things out and hold all that glass. Did you look at the leather version? A&A don't ship to the UK unfortunately and their UK rep has only 3 listed, 2 of which are out of stock. Bag looks good though, you must post a picture with your gear stowed...

I use an Artisian & Artist bag as well; the Evan's Walker. I've carried my M6 w/2 lenses, film. etc all over the world. It's a perfect compact bag designed for the M. Typically I use a "Sling" on my M6 and just keep it in my Evan's Walker bag ready to go if needed. What I really like about the bag is that it's fast to get a camera in and out of (no flap to cover the top), I can control the level of security (zipper just partly open), and the flat-top profile makes it kind of a 'make-shift" table when I swing it around the front of me and change lenses, load camera, etc... The largest dealers of Artisian &Artist that I have found are Photo Village, and Yodabashi in Tokyo. I also believe there are some shops in Roppongi Hills as well that have a small stock of them (that's what Artisian &Artist told me when I contacted them).

-RMF

I looked high and low for a bag for my M7 and the lenses that went with it, and after trying out several, settled on one built by Case Logic that I found in a weird place -- Best Buy. It's a small back-pack style with two compartments. The top will fimly hold the M7 with lens in place (and has a fabric strap that, if you wish, will fasten over the camera to hold it even more firmly.) The bottom will take six lenses in padded compartments. In addition, it has a full-length padded laptop pocket in the back. Although it gets really heavy, I can carry a Mac, a power supply and a mouse, a body and six lenses, plus use one lens pocket for miscellaneous. There are also two zip pockets on the sides for filters, memory cards, etc., and two very small additional pockets on the straps themselves where you could put ballpoints or keys or other small stuff (not big enough for a cell phone.) Also has some quick-release straps on the side which would take a small tripod. The bag is well-made of nylon and is easy to carry. Also, it does not look like a camera bag --- it looks more like a book bag.

I've only traveled with it once, but it worked fine. At the hotel, I took out the laptop equipment and all but two of the lenses, and had room to stuff a nylon golf jacket into the bottom. It has a further web pocket on the side for a water bottle, if you're the water bottle type.

Not good for fast lens changes. It was one of the cheapest bags I tried. Basically, what it's best for is travel: to haul a whole outfit, including laptop, in one compact bundle, but which then works as a casual walk-around backpack with most of the gear left back at the hotel.

I also have a small Domke canvas shoulder bag that will carry a couple of lenses and a jacket for just shooting around town, with the camera on my shoulder.

JC

Now here's a topic I can sink my teeth into.

Currently in love with my Fogg B-Laika and Lyre bags - depends on how much I want to take with me. B-Laika is perfect for M7/35/75/SF20 combo with room for film, change of batteries, Coleman's emergency rain poncho (best 79 cents you'll ever spend), 1-gallon ziplock bag, microfibre cloths, etc. Best part is everything is accessible without moving something else, and the M7 with either lens drops into its slot without a fuss. Now the Lyre is for another type of shooting. Take the above kit, delete the 75, and be willing to move things to get at the flash in the bottom. Still lovely, and measurably smaller.

Other favorites: Domke is where I started, and their little FX-whatever case makes a decent substitute for the B-Laika. Interior isn't as luxurious, but still workable.

Crumpler - yup, have one of those $2/4M home bags - good for a very small kit of a camera, lens, film, and cloth. Thick padding makes the bag bigger than it needs to be.

Billingham? Of course. One Alice and one Airline Stow-Away. The Airline Stow-Away is perfect for M/Elmar combo, and is elegant. The Alice I use as my bigger kit bag when the B-Laika won't carry it. Think 3 lenses, and maybe another accessory.

1970's Vintage M reporter's bag - now being made by M-classics. This is a weird bag, with relatively unprotected front pockets and dividers inside to make 3 more compartments. I always worry that heavy jostling will send the items smashing into each other, but maybe the new bags have heavier cloth. The back pocket is nice for carrying 8x10's.

Tamrac, Tenba, Lowepro, yes a smattering, but none that I use with my M's. No panache, and awkward to work with.

My favorite of all, though, is my air bag. That is, no bag at all. Leave the camera hang out there for the next picture.

Now, I see Luigi of Leicatime is now custom-making all-leather bags in the $500 range. Perhaps there will be a christmas afterall. Oh, and I will try Artistan & Artist someday.

Eric

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy - what lenses did you end up with for the M8? I haven't followed much of the digital threads due to my analog insanity with the M's.....

Well I went overboard of course

V/C 15mm 4.5 , leica 24mm 2.8, 35 1.4 asph,50 1.4 asph , 75 f2 apo than on e-bay i picked up a 135 2.8 with the googles. later hoping for a Zeiss 21mm and Maybe a 28 but i will wait til l after the M8 comes. Too much. LOL

The question remains are you ready and where will you put all those precious lenses and bodies into a carrying container to lug around the world or to your local coffee shop to get a cup of coffee.

To "carry" my gear to events, I use the Lowepro Roller series (1 for the M and 3 for the R).

If I'm walking about and want a few lenses, I'll take a Lowepro Orion. It's a sort of 'kangaroo' hip pouch and will let you carry two M bodies and three lenses.

If I want lighter, I use the ThinkTank system and put the appropriate pouches to the belt.

Those Artisan and Artist bags look nice.

Here's another vote for the Fogg B-Laika. I just got one about a month ago and I do love it. It's a nice looking, but not too flashy bag, and it holds my M6 and two lenses along with aks (like a spare batteries, film, microfiber cloth, camel hair brush, etc.

I've taken it onboard several commercial flights, and it's a perfect bag for my needs.

The leather Barbour bag, with Billingham Hadley's insert works very well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think the problem with a lot of bags is that they're not adaptable to the small size of Leica lenses, even with hoods on, a 24, 35, 50 and 75 don't take up much space and it would be good to have a bag where you can reach in for a lens without having them stacked vertically.