Guest guy_mancuso

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been using the Domke F-5XB and really like it. It is a small bag and is very convenient. It holds my M8 with 35 cron mounted, CV 15 (plus finder), 28/2.8 ASPH, CV 50/1.5 Nocton, 90/2 AA and misc. stuff..

Latley I am seriously considering the Leica neopriene case. I checked it out at Tamarkin in NYC several weeks ago, but didn't really care for it at the time becuase it was kinda stiff and not too easy to get the camera out for shooting. But, there have been a few occasions recently that I would have been happy to carry the M8 with 35 cron only and wished I had the neopreen case for protection when the camera was not in use. The thing I like most about the M8 is the desire to carry it everywhere - that is something that I never wanted to do with my 5D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

David Photo Village sells them . here is the site The Photo Village, Inc. and hit the shopping button and than scroll till you see Artsian product and it will bring you to the site of products

That reminds me I need to contact Photo Village and see what happened to my Oskar's... Ordered it on the 20th with 2nd day shipping, but haven't received anything yet. Looks like a nice bag. BTW, their online ordering system wasn't working right when I ordered so I had to call them, it couldn't calculate shipping correctly. Maybe they've fixed it now.

Just a question...

Do you use 1 or 2 bags, I mean, let's say you are going to travel, do you have one bag to bring everything to destination and then use a smaller bag for daily use?

Because in most of these posts I see bags with 1 or 2 bodies with a couple of lenses. But imagine you go far and have 4 lenses, a flash unit, spare battery, sd cards, M8 charger!

What would you do then?

Guest guy_mancuso
Just a question...

Do you use 1 or 2 bags, I mean, let's say you are going to travel, do you have one bag to bring everything to destination and then use a smaller bag for daily use?

Because in most of these posts I see bags with 1 or 2 bodies with a couple of lenses. But imagine you go far and have 4 lenses, a flash unit, spare battery, sd cards, M8 charger!

What would you do then?

Great question the Image Smith Bag I can have 2 M8's with a 35 and 28 attached in the main compartment than the other 4 lenses in the front with a Metz laying across the top and that is the Whole system . That i would use for a shooting job but for playing around or just one body I use the Oscar one day and an get a M8 with a 28 attached than either two more lenses and the Metz or I can stack and take 4 extra lenses and a metz

So depending how much gear and your use is what i would go by but the One Day is the nicer bag since it is more messenger style and it is small and very easy towork with. i used that one in NY over the holiday

Just a question...

What would you do then?

I use a LowePro Slingshot AW200 to cart all of my gear if I'm travelling long distance by public transport (eg UK-Austria by train) and then unload most of the heavy stuff (DMR and Digilux-2 chargers, spare batteries for the SF24D flash gun) and any lenses I don't expect to use when I go out for a day's shooting - the freed-up space gets used for a water bottle, sandwiches, maps, etc. Most times I also leave the Digilux and its spare batteries behind and just take the R8+DMR with a couple of zooms. If I want to travel really light then the R8 gear stays and the Digilux goes. When I get an M8 I'll probably take it instead of the Digilux and pack a Billingham L2 in my luggage to use as a day bag.

Guest guy_mancuso
Great question the Image Smith Bag I can have 2 M8's with a 35 and 28 attached in the main compartment than the other 4 lenses in the front with a Metz laying across the top and that is the Whole system . That i would use for a shooting job but for playing around or just one body I use the Oscar one day and an get a M8 with a 28 attached than either two more lenses and the Metz or I can stack and take 4 extra lenses and a metz

So depending how much gear and your use is what i would go by but the One Day is the nicer bag since it is more messenger style and it is small and very easy towork with. i used that one in NY over the holiday

I should add if the DMR also goes than everything goes in a Roller bag for transport

Another Barbour bag, very Billingham like, but with other color, is the Barbour Cotton Canvas Tarras Bag Olive B625.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But one of my favorite is still the olive Domke F6, together with two 1-compartment Padded "Short" Inserts in 6.75" height to fit the F-6.

The 4-compartment version is included with the F-6, and both the others will fit right in alongside.

A nice addition is the Billingham shoulder strap.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Those Artisan and Artist bags look nice.

Here's another vote for the Fogg B-Laika. I just got one about a month ago and I do love it. It's a nice looking, but not too flashy bag, and it holds my M6 and two lenses along with aks (like a spare batteries, film, microfiber cloth, camel hair brush, etc.

I've taken it onboard several commercial flights, and it's a perfect bag for my needs.

I use two of the A&A bags, both with great success. When I need to carry all of my M8 gear I use the same bag as Guy, the Image Smith. But when just going out for a "day shoot" I really like the Oscar's One Day Bag which holds the body with one lens attached and two additional lenses plus an extra battery and SF 24D flash. It has a very thin profile (Much like the Billingham Hadley but at $179 a very low cost alternative to the Hadley (Over $350 U.K. pounds!).

Woody Spedden

Those A&A bags look really great. I like that Oskar bag too. But is it weatherproof enough? It looks, at least in the picture, that there might be a slight gap at the upper corners of the flap the way it fits across the top of the bag. What about that? I like the idea of the zippers because they look like they would protect the gear in all kinds of weather.

Love to hear Guy's comments about that. Or you, too, Woody. I am leaning towards that Oskar bag, or the Pen Satchel bag. Appreciate any firsthand feedback regarding this one issue. Thanks.

Latley I am seriously considering the Leica neopriene case. I checked it out at Tamarkin in NYC several weeks ago, but didn't really care for it at the time becuase it was kinda stiff and not too easy to get the camera out for shooting. But, there have been a few occasions recently that I would have been happy to carry the M8 with 35 cron only and wished I had the neopreen case for protection when the camera was not in use. The thing I like most about the M8 is the desire to carry it everywhere - that is something that I never wanted to do with my 5D.

Mark, FWIW, I have a series of older Zing neophrene SLR covers that work with the M8. They work better with longer lenses, but seem to stay put with the 35mm Chron. They are very flexible.

Bob

Guest guy_mancuso

Well they are canvas like the old Domke bags were , so weather proof . I would be a little gun shy there but will hold it's own . The open gap is pretty much like any messenger style but there is outside velcr on so it does close pretty good and there is a inside glasp to tighten it up also. They come in leather also. There simple and they don't scream camera inside this bag.

Posted this in another thread, but thought it might be helpful to others in this thread too:

I have really liked the Kinesis bags.

Kinesis Photo Gear homepage [built for People -- On the Move]™

In particular, I use the E330 bag (Kinesis Photo Gear [E-Series] Lens Pouches) -- holds an M7 with lens plus a second lens, and a several rolls of film plus a filter or 2. I bought the strap for it too -- so I don't have to hook it to a belt, just wear it like a regular shoulder bag. (Although I do have the belt system for SLR gear which also works great.)

Overall, it's well made and very well thought out gear.