Which are your most exciting M lenses?

junglehs

Noctilux for me. No contest. It's not the best lens Leica have ever made, but to me it certainly is the most exciting. In second place would be my old 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH--the one that has the "glow" when shot wide open. Unfortunately, it's one of the few lenses that can't be used on the M8, except for shooting at distances up to about 8 feet.

I concur.

Noctilux.

With that one, "every picture tells a surprise".

It's the one I pick when I wish to experiment — not necessarily for low light

situations, because in every kind of light (even artificial), it's stunning.

And the 90, for its quasi-macro capability (also a surprise).

35mm pre asph lux. Unfortunately, it's one of the few lenses that can't be used on the M8, except for shooting at distances up to about 8 feet.

Why? Is there a reason why you can't shoot further away than 8 feet?

My most exciting lens is the 50 LUX ASPH. Whenever I use any other lens, and all my lenses are Leica lenses sans the 21CV, I always say "That not the 50 Lux".

The 75 Cron runs a close second and then the 28 Elmarit ASPH third. I'm not in love with the 35 cron ASPH, although it is a good lens. But nothing I have ever used comes close to the 50 Lux.

Why? Is there a reason why you can't shoot further away than 8 feet?

It is because the focusing collar on the lens hits something in the M8 mount that stops it at that point. Infinity focusing is not possible. This is a known issue and Leica have stated that this lens can't be used with the M8.

It is because the focusing collar on the lens hits something in the M8 mount that stops it at that point. Infinity focusing is not possible. This is a known issue and Leica have stated that this lens can't be used with the M8.

Wow. I did not know that. I used the 35 pre lux a lot and love it. I have a very late version. I am pretty sure infinity works fine with mine. Unless I am a dope and can't see the difference...:o Is there anybody here who could elaborate?

Wow. I did not know that. I used the 35 pre lux a lot and love it. I have a very late version. I am pretty sure infinity works fine with mine. Unless I am a dope and can't see the difference...:o Is there anybody here who could elaborate?

I think there is one version of the 35Lux that had some type of collar around the back of the lens and I think Leica even states it is not good to even use this lens on the M8.

It is maybe not my "best lens" in terms of optical quality, (although there is nothing wrong with it in that respect), but the lens that most often gives me that "how did that happen?" feeling is the CV 32/1.2. And of course the 75/1.4 Summilux.

I think there are four different versions of this lens. Only one (the one I have) is not compatible with the M8.

My order of preference:

MATE - for travelling in cities

WATE - travelling in landscape

50 1,4 ´for portraits

35 APSPH 2.0 for landscaping and as carry around light

I guess it is personal preference - but the MATE is most versatile for me.

+1

I have 35/1.4 ASPH other than 35/2, and use 28/2.8 ASPH for walkaround.

The tone of 50/1.4 pre-a really makes me feel exciting.

My order of preference:

MATE - for travelling in cities

WATE - travelling in landscape

50 1,4 ´for portraits

35 APSPH 2.0 for landscaping and as carry around light

I guess it is personal preference - but the MATE is most versatile for me.

Why shouting? :D we hear you anyway, don't worry, your preferences have been recorded (even the APSPH 35...) ;)

This is not true with my copy of the 35 lux pre-ASPH. I can use it to infinity without it hitting anything. It is one of my favorites, but the 85 f/1.5 Summarex is my MOST favorite, followed by 50 f/1.4 Summilux pre-ASPH.

I find this admiration for the Noctilux just rediculous. I have one, but it is a lot of hassle with 'off focus-focusing' - after two trips to Solms. When I finally do hit the right focus it does not perform all that good. Well, sure, it produces a lot of 'personality' - But. Just anything off the Leica shelf produces better contrast and sharpness. my priority:

1)

The WATE! I use it more than 60% of the time. A very good all-round tool that produces stunning wide angle images. I claim that the M8/WATE combo is the best digital wide angle solution on the market. The WATE is the 'must have' with a M8. Not the Noctilux! Spare yourself the irritation.

2)

Hm...! As number two several are qualified. But I will go for 35 mm 2,0 Summicron Asph. Amazingly sharp and with high contrast. Also a 'must have Leica lense' for anyone thinking seriously about photography. Works as a 50 mm on the M8.

3)

I could have gone for Noctilux here, but I wont. But rather for 'poor man's WATE'; the Voigländer Super Wide Angle 15 mm 4,5 - an amazing lense at a comfortable price. I have compared mine with my WATE, but I do not find it as close to it as Reid does. There is a larger difference, but to the price difference it is minor.

I should also mention my Carl Zeiss 25 mm 2,0 - but it does not come to it's right on a M8 due to the crop factor and - for me, a lack of coding and all that. A picture bellow of my M8/WATE combo (no, I hardly use the Frankenfinder) my MP with the Noctilux and my Zeiss Ikon with my ZM 25 mm 2,0 Biogon.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!