Kanto or Shueido: which for painting M lenses?

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read very positive reviews of Kanto but they didn't answer my email via their English language website.  I may need to go to Taipei soon so thought I could at least drop off the lenses in person.   I am thinking of getting a 50 rigid Summicron and 35/2.8 Summaron painted black.  Both are as new so should not have any cosmetic issues to deal with.  Has anyone has experience with both parties to compare the quality?  I am going to Seoul also.  Anyone there?

Posted (edited)

I have used Shueido with great satisfaction. They repainted couples of cameras and lenses for me. Their service is very professional and their paint job is outstanding. Kento is rated number one by most users but they are currently has 24 months waiting time to my understanding.

Edited by skueh

Thanks for replying.  Are you in Asia or elsewhere? How did you handle shipping and custom duties if any?

I sent a M2 to Shintaro along with payment many, many years ago and lost both with no communications from him so am a little gun shy of single person operators but if they have a physical storefront, should much less of a problem.  

16 minutes ago, Danner said:

Here's a testimonial, if you've got the time & inclination...

Looking at her, I am afraid to see what she had done to the M6.  I have not watched it. Maybe later. 

1 hour ago, ymc226 said:

Thanks for replying.  Are you in Asia or elsewhere? How did you handle shipping and custom duties if any?

I sent a M2 to Shintaro along with payment many, many years ago and lost both with no communications from him so am a little gun shy of single person operators but if they have a physical storefront, should much less of a problem.  

PM'd you.

Posted (edited)

Sorry I haven't used (or seen in person) Shueido but recently had a lens overhauled / repainted by Kanto and am incredibly happy.  Since seeing the work on this lens I have sent another 2 lenses for CLA/overhaul only (not repaint).  Timeline for that service with no painting is 7-9months currently . 

Currently they do have a 24 month wait (!) for repaints but I'd be inclined to say that I'd still use them over others .  FWIW, the reason I went to them is I held a Kanto-overhauled M2 in a store a few years ago and it was a stunning job - the film advance was like butter.  

RE communication. Sending directly to their email listed on the website I've never had them not reply.  

If you have emailed recently, please note the info they gave to me in mid-March when I was chatting with them:

" * We will be closed from March 20th to 25th for spring vacation. " 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2

Kanto is great, but their wait times are now absurd. Will you even remember you had a lens / camera after two years ahah and also, what do you do in the meantime, buy another camera? Their operations needs improvement for sure…their overhaul quality is great, but in Japan you do have similar / better options, that are cheaper and just take one month, like UCS and others. For painting, Lumiere is another great option in Japan and I believe their wait time is 6 months (may be more now).

That being said, Shueido are great! Took only 3 months to get my camera repaint, and I prefer their used-finish more than the Kanto-used finish. They can even recreate the bubbles you have on old M3/M2 black paint or olive paint cameras. When it comes to paint and the flexibility of how you want your camera to look like, I would actually rank Shueido higher than Kanto. They are more expensive though, but I guess it’s worth it so you don’t wait 2 years…

Their CLA was also good but I do agree that Kanto CLA is probably even better than Leica’s own CLA. My Shueido painted M3 that I did with them before was butter smooth when I got it back though, but it was also butter smooth before I sent it there : p 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

关东很棒,但他们的等待时间现在很荒谬。两年后你还会记得你有一个镜头/相机吗,哈哈,同时你会做什么,买另一台相机?他们的运营确实需要改进……他们的大修质量很好,但在日本你确实有类似/更好的选择,它们更便宜,只需要一个月,比如 UCS 和其他公司。对于绘画,Lumiere 是日本的另一个不错的选择,我相信他们的等待时间是 6 个月(现在可能更长)。

话说回来,修伊道真是太棒了!我只花了三个月的时间就让我的相机重新喷漆,而且我更喜欢它们的旧漆面而不是关东旧漆面。它们甚至可以重现旧式 M3/M2 黑色油漆或橄榄色油漆相机上的气泡。当谈到绘画和你想要的相机外观的灵活性时,我实际上会把 Shueido 的排名高于 Kanto。虽然它们更贵,但我想这是值得的,所以你不用等 2 年……

他们的 CLA 也很好,但我确实同意 Kanto CLA 可能比徕卡自己的 CLA 更好。我以前用他们做的 Shueido 画的 M3 当我拿回来时是黄油光滑的,但在我把它送到那里之前它也是黄油光滑的:p 

can you believe that in China mainland there is a lier,we have to wait at least 4 years to get  his paint work, he even has a lot of fans  

Edited by hjddd

15 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

... Will you even remember you had a lens / camera after two years ahah and also, what do you do in the meantime, buy another camera? ...

You pay a small deposit today top reserve a spot and only send your camera and lens in when it is your time to get your work done on your equipment, they will not hold it for that period. Kanto and Shueido are being rewarded for their good work and we are the victim of their success having to wait for custom work to be done.

17 hours ago, RobW0 said:

Looking at her, I am afraid to see what she had done to the M6.  I have not watched it. Maybe later. 

She matched her car.  I would have preferred Fender Guitar Seafoam Green, but I like her shade of Porsche Blue too.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, patrickcolpron said:

You pay a small deposit today top reserve a spot and only send your camera and lens in when it is your time to get your work done on your equipment, they will not hold it for that period. Kanto and Shueido are being rewarded for their good work and we are the victim of their success having to wait for custom work to be done.

Unless they changed their operations, last time I used them and talked to people who used Kanto, you have to send in your stuff to get it evaluated + cost estimate, and they will then keep them until your turn comes. If that process changed, that’s great news! 

15 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

Unless they changed their operations, last time I used them and talked to people who used Kanto, you have to send in your stuff to get it evaluated + cost estimate, and they will then keep them until your turn comes. If that process changed, that’s great news! 

I don't know how Kanto works, that would be a bummer. That's how Shueido works, price online + deposit to reserve your time slot ahead of time. You only send your gear when your scheduled time is up.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:21 AM, overexposed said:

you do realize that kanto is in japan?

I was referring to Sheuido.  Sheuido has an eBay storefront and instagram site but no separate website.  Not having an instagram account, is there an email address?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ymc226 said:

I was referring to Sheuido.  Sheuido has an eBay storefront and instagram site but no separate website.  Not having an instagram account, is there an email address?

Edited by JMF