SL3 quick menu / control centre

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I have an SL3 on pre-order. I noted that the 'Favourites' menu has gone, something I rely on a lot with the SL2. I also note that the quick menu is now configurable, which is great, but according to the manual the selectable options are quite limited (I'm guessing/hoping this might be expanded with firmware updates). I've been 'mapping' the controls I like to have at my fingertips on the SL2 and reflecting how to acheive something similar with the SL3.

• Has the latest firmware already expanded the selectable options since the manual was published? According to the manual I would have the following that I would use in the Quick Menu (User Profile, Shutter Type, Format, AF Profiles, ) and the following that would for me be only occassionally used or a bit redundant (iDR, Flash, Image overlay, Perspective, Aspect, White Balance)
  • Although not listed in the manual, the screenshot of the Quick Menu also includes exposure metering, focus selection type etc, so I assume these are available and the manual is just a bit confusing
  • Even with this it is quite ok, I can use the programable buttons for other key controls, but an expansion to include image stabilisation, self-timer, EVF-LCD would be nice

(edit) One more point is that although Favourites is gone, some of the items I would like to include there are anyway on the first page of the main menu, which kind of becomes a new Favourites in the sense they will only be one click away.

Edited by hoolyproductions

I initially missed the favorites menu, but have mapped all I really need to the customisable control centre.  In addition, there are the many icons around the top and right of the LCD screen that you can hold down and change the settings for, effectively giving you a much larger control screen.

Thanks Carrot. I had noticed that the "info bars" are now also interactive, but I usually have those completely turned off as I find them distracting. Will have to play with this whenever I get the new camera. Is it possible to remove some of them altogether (to make it less busy) or you can only switch them to other functions?

1 minute ago, hoolyproductions said:

Thanks Carrot. I had noticed that the "info bars" are now also interactive, but I usually have those completely turned off as I find them distracting. Will have to play with this whenever I get the new camera. Is it possible to remove some of them altogether (to make it less busy) or you can only switch them to other functions?

You can change that by customizing Info Profiles under Capture Assistance.

• Like 1

If you like the menu favorites, I would suggest emailing Leica and asking for it back, just as I did.

the customizable option in the quick screen has been reduced to 8 to be more functional with touch.

To me it is too many steps to format a card, and not enough important to put it on the screen. 10 clicks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I am assuming they might return the Favourites menu if they get a lot of requests, but overall it sounds quite ok as is. I'll find out when I get the camera. For Format I have always used the Quick Menu (CL, M, SL2) and I like it there. 'Horses for courses' and it demonstrates that configurability is most important.

One additional reason is using the camera in arctic conditions - where I can just about manage the with Favourites menu with gloves using joystick and buttons , but not the Quick Menu. After many winters here in Finland my hands quickly get frozen without gloves and then it's game over until I can (painfully) thaw them out.

Edited by hoolyproductions