Does anyone have the Oberwerth SL Medium Bag?

Dr. G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm trying to figure out if I can stack two APO Summicron-SL lenses on each side of the Oberwerth SL Bag Medium with the SL3 with a lens mounted in between them in the middle.  I'm just wondering if the APO SL lenses can fit front to back in the bag, or if it's too tight.

I don't have that Oberwerth bag ( I have the Harry & Sally for the M) but I looked on the Leica Miami site and this is what they wrote. My guess is what you want will not fit, but that's a guess. "In addition to the camera with the dimensions 146 x 107 x 42mm (WxHxD) there is still enough space for the "smaller SL lens", the Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm 1: 2.8-4 ASPH. the Leica charger, lens hood, cable and your smartphone. There is also space for an M lens with an adapter." Leica Store Miami. 

Perhaps you could lay them out and measure them using the deminsions given above. I didn't check the SL Large size which is also listed. 

The dimensions are almost the same as the bag I have now, which is why I was asking:

https://rocknrollstraps.com/shop/camera-bags/bauhaus-camera-bags/bauhaus-large/bauhaus-bag-large-pebbled-black/

I can get 4 unmounted APO Summicron-SL lenses in the bag (two on each side) and keep my 50 Lux SL on the camera in the middle, pointing downward.  I like that the Oberwerth has more usable space in the front pockets and also the leather finish better, though.

Posted (edited)

EDIT - Below I was referring to the large bag. I have also the medium one; I think you will struggle with an SL3 and 3 APO SL-lenses with the medium bag. The large one is not as big as it looks like though and will fit your need.

I use the medium bag for the X2D with 2 lenses, I may be able to add a third one if compact.

---------------------------------

I love this bag. 

It will work well for your purpose. 

Currently I have the SL3 with an APO-SL 50mm mounted, the APO-SL 28mm and the APO Vario Elmarit 90-280mm on the sides. The lenses are stored vertically, as well as the camera. And an air blower.

The 2 front pockets host 5 extra batteries and the dual charger plus grey card, back up CFe card, lens cleaning tissues, etc.

I store an iPad Pro inside the bag in the storage designed for it. And a power bank with the DC coupler and some cables in the external storage pocket.  

Edited by Hanno

On 3/24/2024 at 7:28 PM, MediaFotografie said:

same here, not this bag, but the old "Wetzlar" model; this is a little bit small for SL + 2x APO + third lens (attached)

I have the Wetzlar 2, which I think is basically the same size and weight as the SL medium. I can fit two APO lenses with a third lens attached with a little room to spare, In this case I have attached the 24-90mm lens (although I need to remove the 24-90 hood for this). Pictures below.

I rarely use this bag because it is quite heavy (although I have so far not found lighter alternatives with this much capacity). My main bag is the Oberwerth Boulevard tablet which can take (although it is a bit tight) two APO lenses and a third smaller lens - any one of which can be on the camera. This bag is half the weight of the Wetzlar).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In case useful, some further reflections on this bag.

We are all different in terms of preferred carrying capacity. I use the Wetzlar rarely because when fully loaded it is (for me) too much for any kind of photography where I am on my feet and carrying the bag the whole time e.g. long nature or city walks, or music photography in places where it is not safe to leave my bag alone. Also for casual photography on a day out when I have other things to carry (and I have an M11 for when I want to travel super light).

The Wetzlar 2 is handy for specific occassions where I want to carry a full kit but don't have too much walking to do e.g. a recent dance rehearsal, a jazz orchestra gig where I wanted to take 24-90mm zoom and the APO primes in case the light was not sufficient for the zoom).

With my Boulevard tablet I have different set ups depending a bit what I expect to be doing. The depth of the bag makes it tight with the SL2 but is alright.

• Sigma 24mm f/3.5 + 50mm SL Summicron-ASPH: quite light and leaves one of the 'slots' in the bag free for other stuff. I carry this pretty much everywhere.
  • Sigma 24mm f/3.5 + 50mm SL Summicron-ASPH + Sigma 90mm f/2.8: also quite light and gives me some extra reach if I expect to need it.
  • When I want the best quality and am in a situation where the weight is not so important I swap out the 50 and 90mm lenses for the APO variants (or sometimes just the 90mm, as this is where I get the biggest performance difference)
  • For daylight stuff, rather than carrying two APOs I will often just take the 24-90mm instead (and for winter photography it is always the 24-90mm, which also fits in the Boulevard Tablet if you take all the lens dividers out).

10 hours ago, hoolyproductions said:

My question is can the APO lenses fit lying down on their side in the same spots?  If so, I can get 4 of them in my bag with the camera in the middle.  

On 3/24/2024 at 9:31 AM, Dr. G said:

I'm trying to figure out if I can stack two APO Summicron-SL lenses on each side of the Oberwerth SL Bag Medium with the SL3 with a lens mounted in between them in the middle.  I'm just wondering if the APO SL lenses can fit front to back in the bag, or if it's too tight.

I just took delivery of a new Oberwerth SL Medium Hydro Bag - I'm still waiting on my SL3 and some of the lenses, but in looking at and inside the bag, and looking at sizes of APO SL lenses, etc., I don't think what you're hoping for will fit into the bag.

If helpful, would be happy later today to take pictures of the bag with the 24-90 and/or 90-280 next to it for sizing context and reference. Let me know!

16 minutes ago, geronimosan said:

I just took delivery of a new Oberwerth SL Medium Hydro Bag - I'm still waiting on my SL3 and some of the lenses, but in looking at and inside the bag, and looking at sizes of APO SL lenses, etc., I don't think what you're hoping for will fit into the bag.

If helpful, would be happy later today to take pictures of the bag with the 24-90 and/or 90-280 next to it for sizing context and reference. Let me know!

The 90-280 won’t fit well in the medium bag. 

OP, if you want the Oberwerth hydro bag series, for what you need, it has to be the SL large bag.

7 minutes ago, Hanno said:

The 90-280 won’t fit well in the medium bag. 

OP, if you want the Oberwerth hydro bag series, for what you need, it has to be the SL large bag.

Correct - that's why I offered to take a picture of the bag with the 90-280 next to it for sizing reference.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use the Medium SL bag. I comfortably fit the 24-90, 50 Summilux and 35 APO in there. Doesn't matter which is attached to the camera.  I stack a little 17mm Sigma f4 in there with the APO 35 sometimes.

Edited by jmannix
  • Like 1