New LHSA + Oberwerth Bags!

bradhusick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

LHSA is proud to announce a new special edition Oberwerth camera bag developed in close consultation with LHSA - The International Leica Society. The Leo Bag (available in Correspondent and Voyager sizes) is possibly Oberwerth's most agile, easy to use but still minimalistic and straight-to-the-point camera bag for the dedicated Leica enthusiast for street photography.

Developed in consultation with LHSA President Brad Husick, Oberwerth is entering the market with two of our Diamond–level Corporate Sustaining Members, Leica Store Miami, and Leica Store San Francisco. They will be for sale in all US Leica stores very soon and are available directly from Oberwerth worldwide. The Leo Correspondent has a retail price of USD $699, and the Leo Voyager has a retail price of USD $999.

Learn More

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just received the smaller Leo Correspondent bag from Leica Store Miami a few days ago.  It's exactly what I've been waiting for, for my M kit.  I have a Q2 that I take with me everywhere and a bag for that that I also keep my phones, wallet, and other daily junk in, but I wanted a bag specifically for my M gear.  Because most of the time when I go out specifically to take pictures, I take my M camera. 

It fits my M4 with collapsible Elmar-M attached, my M10P with a lens attached - usually the 50mm Summicron, plus my 21mm Super-Elmar, 35mm Summilux, and 90mm Tele-Elmar, all very comfortably.  What I _love_ is that I can grab my camera out of the top, and what I _really_ love is the way the main compartment opens up a limited amount.  Just enough so I can reach all my other lenses easily while the bag is over my shoulder, and without having to take one lens out to get to the one underneath it... and without anything spilling out.  The side tabs can be quickly snapped off to fully open the main compartment when needed.  And there's a pocket inside there where I can keep my contrast filters for the M4 (the pocket that apparently fits an iPad mini) and other bits.  It comes with a shoulder strap _and_ a hand strap, which can both be put on at the same time.  Very convenient.  

The quality of the leather is superb, as is the construction.  It's just a bloody brilliant bag, a proper camera bag.  Great design.  It's pricey, but Oberwerth certainly earns it.

Edited by Muso

Hide it, when you leave your car without the bag! Bad luck for a friend of mine; credit cards, papers, a camera, all gone.

I also remember a photo tour with Bottazzini´s. The three clients left their bags in the car, the B´s carried their gear (Leica Sl´s, a Hassy, Leica lenses, etc) with them at lunch time.

Edited by jankap

Leaving your M camera or M camera kit in an unattended car is just asking for trouble.  Take it with you.  Always.  That is a lot less grief than having your gear stolen and then hoping the insurance company can't figure out some way of getting out of paying you for the loss.

As for the Oberwerth bags, they are very nice - but metal zippers on camera bags give me the heebie-jeebies.  They are scratch makers just looking for an M camera or lens to scrape up. 

But then, some people like their cameras to be scratched up.  Sure, they will lose money at trade-in time, but think of the money they will save on sand paper! 🙄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Leaving your M camera or M camera kit in an unattended car is just asking for trouble. 

The recipe is either hide the bag in the car or put the Oberwerth into a plastic Aldi bag.

This is definitely not a kit to leave in the car!  No, it goes with me.  As a musician, I'm used to taking my bass guitar into restaurants or wherever before or after shows b/c I never leave it in my car.  Taking my camera bag is easy compared to that 😉

This bag has a fabric lining under the zippers to keep things from getting scratched - it works pretty well.  But I understand the heebie-jeebies!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/15/2022 at 12:37 AM, Muso said:

I just received the smaller Leo Correspondent bag from Leica Store Miami a few days ago.  It's exactly what I've been waiting for, for my M kit.  I have a Q2 that I take with me everywhere and a bag for that that I also keep my phones, wallet, and other daily junk in, but I wanted a bag specifically for my M gear.  Because most of the time when I go out specifically to take pictures, I take my M camera. 

It fits my M4 with collapsible Elmar-M attached, my M10P with a lens attached - usually the 50mm Summicron, plus my 21mm Super-Elmar, 35mm Summilux, and 90mm Tele-Elmar, all very comfortably.  What I _love_ is that I can grab my camera out of the top, and what I _really_ love is the way the main compartment opens up a limited amount.  Just enough so I can reach all my other lenses easily while the bag is over my shoulder, and without having to take one lens out to get to the one underneath it... and without anything spilling out.  The side tabs can be quickly snapped off to fully open the main compartment when needed.  And there's a pocket inside there where I can keep my contrast filters for the M4 (the pocket that apparently fits an iPad mini) and other bits.  It comes with a shoulder strap _and_ a hand strap, which can both be put on at the same time.  Very convenient.  

The quality of the leather is superb, as is the construction.  It's just a bloody brilliant bag, a proper camera bag.  Great design.  It's pricey, but Oberwerth certainly earns it.

Thank you! It was a labor of love designing this bag with Oberwerth. It's named "Leo" after my grandfather. Can you post a picture of your gear inside the bag?

-Brad Husick

President, International Leica Society

4 hours ago, bradhusick said:

Thank you! It was a labor of love designing this bag with Oberwerth. It's named "Leo" after my grandfather. Can you post a picture of your gear inside the bag?

-Brad Husick

President, International Leica Society

Hi, Brad, yes I think Grandpa would be proud of this one - I know I really like it.  

Here it is with the whole kit.  I don't always take both film and digital with me, but I can.  When I take just one of the cameras, the space where the M4 is can be used for incidental stuff.  Right now, I have my contrast filters and spare batteries in the iPad mini pocket.  

Best regards, 

-James

PS:  I installed the strip in front of the M10-P a bit different from how it was intended, but I like it this way.  (The pictures on the website show it installed over the top of the attached lens, but I installed it in front of the camera body). 

Edited by Muso
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

I just received my bag from the San Francisco store, and the only annoying this is that it’s missing the strip. I unfortunately threw away the packaging before I realized this, so will need to call them tomorrow to figure it out. 

It fits everything beautifully, I just wish I had the strip for added security. 

4 hours ago, Oliver Tuttle said:

I just received my bag from the San Francisco store, and the only annoying this is that it’s missing the strip....

Don't worry, it took me a while to find it too 🙂

I actually find it easier to use than most bags though, at least for me - I don't have to take the bag off to open it up, and I don't have to pull one lens out and do something with it while I grab the one that's underneath it.  For my purposes, I love it!  

Edited by Muso
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Brad,

I love your well thought out bag! Glad they worked so long with you to perfect it for me.

James, thinks for showing me an alternative placement of the cross strap.

I have usually carried an M on hand with an extra lens in a pocket. But if I want an assortment of lenses, this works for me, covering 12mm, 24mm, 35APO, to 90mm. Plus room for an EVF, extra battery, and a Henry Benz j-loop. 

Yes it’s more expensive, but like Leica, it’s worth it.
From Miami Leica.

Jack

• Like 1

Is it better to carry a backpack or a tote bag?
Backpacks are the obvious go-to-bag. They are easier to carry (especially for those that like to carry coffee, snacks etc. in between class), kinder to our shoulders, and easier to run with - for those who may be late for class ;). As totes are worn on one shoulder, they tend cause more strain on the shoulder and back.
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 1:35 PM, Bobby Luashy said:
Is it better to carry a backpack or a tote bag?
Backpacks are the obvious go-to-bag. They are easier to carry (especially for those that like to carry coffee, snacks etc. in between class), kinder to our shoulders, and easier to run with - for those who may be late for class ;). As totes are worn on one shoulder, they tend cause more strain on the shoulder and back.

I agree. If they make a backpack version I’d buy both sizes.  
I find tote and messenger bags uncomfortable while I can carry a backpack all day over one shoulder.