Just picked up an SL2!

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey there everyone,

Just picked up a used SL2 (I know we are all about “new” gear here but for me the SL2 is new!) I currently shoot on an S5ii and love that camera. I thought an SL2 would compliment it better than an SL2-S because of MP size (variety) etc. That being said….

Wondering if users have any advice for how you like to set yours up or little quirks I should be aware of? The only one I know of from stalking the forum is that it is not ideal in low light. Going to take it shooting today.

Also planning on picking up a 35mm summicron to shoot with it but please let me know if that is too wide and “need” to stick with 50 atleast for M lenses (I have seen differing opinions on the forum). 

Even if there’s not much in terms of advice, at least fun to post about NGD. Let me know how you have enjoyed (or hated) yours if you owned one.

Have a lovely day y’all. 

Side note, I’m in the DC area so if there are any meetups or anything like that going on here would someone plug me in? 

Edited by matttraubphoto
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, matttraubphoto said:

Wondering if users have any advice for how you like to set yours up or little quirks I should be aware of? The only one I know of from stalking the forum is that it is not ideal in low light. Going to take it shooting today.

• Like 2

Regarding the focal length of your lens - 35mm vs 50mm. It’s really a very personal choice based on how you like to present your subject and an angle of view that feels ‘right’ for you. 

50mm is a classic length, as we all know, and a very natural view that does help us to fill the frame more easily with our subject than 35mm. However, 35mm is a nice halfway solution between fully wide angle and standard that allows you to introduce context into the framing should that be important to you. Ultimately, however, go with the focal length that suits your kind of photography and makes the process feel intuitive and natural to your approach to composition. 

46 minutes ago, HighlandLeica said:

Regarding the focal length of your lens - 35mm vs 50mm. It’s really a very personal choice based on how you like to present your subject and an angle of view that feels ‘right’ for you. 

50mm is a classic length, as we all know, and a very natural view that does help us to fill the frame more easily with our subject than 35mm. However, 35mm is a nice halfway solution between fully wide angle and standard that allows you to introduce context into the framing should that be important to you. Ultimately, however, go with the focal length that suits your kind of photography and makes the process feel intuitive and natural to your approach to composition. 

Highland yes totally agree! I was more so asking the question regarding issues of shooting wider angles on non M bodes. Would the SL2 handle the 35 just fine? It’s my preferred focal length but if it doesn’t perform well on the body and a 50 does I’m also very comfortable shooting 50 

• Like 1

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Yes, my experience using the 35mm Summicon—M on the SL2s is just fine. Love the experience of using the M lens on that body regarding the EVF and focus peaking. It’s a very enjoyable experience. The camera automatically recognises the lens once mounted, of course, too.