Panasonic L 4/70-200

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just took delivery of the Panasonic 70-200 in L-Mount today. For what it`s worth, this lens is a so called "Pro" model certified by Leica.

Over many years, I have always been impressed with the build quality of Leica lenses - second to none of course. But when opening the massive box supplied with the Pansonic zoom and inspecting the lens, you kind of get the feeling that this lens is in the same league. Superbly sturdy and well made. So far I have just done some testing on the SL, and there are no issues with the autofocus or anything. Quick and accurate. I am confident it will deliver optically as well - will try it out very soon. 

Edited by Ivar B
spelling error
  • Like 1

I have that same lens and just love ❤️ it.

its the lens Leica should have made. Used it on my SL and now on my S1R. The Panasonic Pro 50mm f1.4 is in the same league. Both are Leica  certified and sharp as a tack. Enjoy 😊 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert E said:

I have that same lens and just love ❤️ it.

its the lens Leica should have made. Used it on my SL and now on my S1R. The Panasonic Pro 50mm f1.4 is in the same league. Both are Leica  certified and sharp as a tack. Enjoy 😊 

Ditto. Super lens.

For landscape I have dumped the 24-90 and now use the trio of 16-35, SL 50/2 and 70-200. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Ditto. Super lens.

For landscape I have dumped the 24-90 and now use the trio of 16-35, SL 50/2 and 70-200. 

Hi thighslapper!

I am interesting in Leica Panasonic lens 70-200/f2.8 L mount. Please advice its IQ, rending, auto focus ... in SL601.

Have a good day!

Thanks, Phong!

vor 7 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

this review of the lens by pcmag, is quite disappointing about lens resolution. Not ready for 47MP. 

https://www.pcmag.com/review/368952/panasonic-lumix-s-pro-70-200mm-f4-o-i-s

Other tests confirm their findings.

I think up to now, the SL 90-280 is the champion, best telephoto-lens I've ever had. Build without compromises.

Edited by saxo
  • Like 1

Day by day my enthusiasm for the L-mount is wearing off.

I recently traded in my Fuji X-T3 for a Sony A9 which is just incredible. The AF-C speed/accuracy, high ISO capability, silent shooting with e-shutter.... it is leaps and bounds a better camera than the SL. Given that the Lumix cameras are already 2-3 years behind Sony tech, I just can't imagine how the SL2 could come close.

As for lenses, the weak offerings from Panasonic and gigantic lenses from Sigma (which are available in other mounts as well) certainly doesn't help the case for the once-promising L-mount alliance. Honestly, some of the current native Sony (GM, Zeiss, Voigtlander) Nikon, and Canon lenses will give Leica lenses a run for its money.

I'm still going to hold off selling my 24-90 until the SL2 is officially announced, but I'm quite content with my current kit (X1D II, Q-P and A9) so it's really going to have to knock my socks off in innovation.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Day by day my enthusiasm for the L-mount is wearing off.

I recently traded in my Fuji X-T3 for a Sony A9 which is just incredible. The AF-C speed/accuracy, high ISO capability, silent shooting with e-shutter.... it is leaps and bounds a better camera than the SL. Given that the Lumix cameras are already 2-3 years behind Sony tech, I just can't imagine how the SL2 could come close.

As for lenses, the weak offerings from Panasonic and gigantic lenses from Sigma (which are available in other mounts as well) certainly doesn't help the case for the once-promising L-mount alliance. Honestly, some of the current native Sony (GM, Zeiss, Voigtlander) Nikon, and Canon lenses will give Leica lenses a run for its money.

I'm still going to hold off selling my 24-90 until the SL2 is officially announced, but I'm quite content with my current kit (X1D II, Q-P and A9) so it's really going to have to knock my socks off in innovation.

Based on what you have wrote... I would agree with you. The A9/II is class leading by far in terms of AF. If the only SL glass you have is the 24-90, I don't see a bright future for you in the L mount either.

I have the Q2. I sold my SL for an S1R which I really like. I feel it's leaps and bounds better than the SL.

For someone without a big investment in SL glass... I can't see how the L mount is a good option.

I have the 16-35, 50 APO SL, 75 SL and 90-280... all of which are stellar. For me... going to the S1R was a no brainer. The SL2 will have to be ground breaking to pull me off of the S1R.

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

this review of the lens by pcmag, is quite disappointing about lens resolution. Not ready for 47MP. 

https://www.pcmag.com/review/368952/panasonic-lumix-s-pro-70-200mm-f4-o-i-s

This is a computer magazine. These guys are obsessed only with numbers. 

I would take it with as much a pinch of salt as you would a computer review in Vogue. 

I've found it on par with the 90-280 in actual usage, except in the peripheral 5% of the image at f4 where it is softer than on the 90-280. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donzo98 said:

Based on what you have wrote... I would agree with you. The A9/II is class leading by far in terms of AF. If the only SL glass you have is the 24-90, I don't see a bright future for you in the L mount either.

I have the Q2. I sold my SL for an S1R which I really like. I feel it's leaps and bounds better than the SL.

For someone without a big investment in SL glass... I can't see how the L mount is a good option.

I have the 16-35, 50 APO SL, 75 SL and 90-280... all of which are stellar. For me... going to the S1R was a no brainer. The SL2 will have to be ground breaking to pull me off of the S1R.

Yeah, my budget for lenses went towards the XCD lenses, which are equally as stellar as the SL lenses imo.

For me the 24-90 is the defining lens of the SL system. I believe it is the best standard zoom lens currently on the market. The 24-90 along with the option to use my M lenses is what appeals to me. The SL/2 will always be the best non-M camera to adapt M lenses.

I'm sure the other SL lenses are great as well, but they don't excite me as much because of the stiff competition from other manufacturers. I mean, there are so many reference-level lenses (especially primes) out there. 

1 hour ago, thighslapper said:

This is a computer magazine. These guys are obsessed only with numbers. 

I would take it with as much a pinch of salt as you would a computer review in Vogue. 

I've found it on par with the 90-280 in actual usage, except in the peripheral 5% of the image at f4 where it is softer than on the 90-280. 

Jim Fisher is a Leica fan. Without him and his computer magazine, there will be almost no technical review about Leica lenses. 
Because even DPreview does not bother. What a shame. 

So we can praised pcmag for supporting Leica through their reviews. I will not dismiss their opinions, only because it is a “computer” magazine. 

Nonetheless I quite agree with his reviews, honest with sensible performance tests. 

It is nice that he is also reviewing L-mount lenses  

What I see from the very unimpressive Lumix S 24-105 is that I should not bother to use any Panasonic lenses. Even in m4/3 world, Olympus lenses are better than theirs. 

• Like 2