New challenger : X100 VI vs Q3 in 35mm crop mode

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I uploaded some random photos from my last trip to Berlin and Munchen in order to see my photographic style. All photos are Screenshots from JPEG and unedited striaght from camera. All photos are from my small and lovely Ricoh GRII. Its very discreet and i can be invisible in a way. I never used XT5 for street photography! 

Maybe i am asking my self i have all i need Ricoh GR II and XT5 and why go to buy a camera 6.000$ in order to have more sharp, better photos when my project is not to print in big dimensions 70 x100cm but print books with my photos 20x30cm or sell them via my website. Its more difficult and rude to shot with a bigger camera Leica q3 30cm from faces.

What your opinion? About my photos and my dilemma for the new camera?

Edited by GREG PLAT
  • Like 3

I had an X100F for a while, and I loved that camera. it's really compact and fits in a pocket easily, something the Q can't do. While the Fuji lens is no match for the Q - I have a Q3 - it's small size and ease of use makes it a great camera to carry around when you don't want to carry a £5,000 camera. I like Fujifilm's film simulations too; they have the advantage of having a history of making film stocks, and offer lots of options for JPEGs. I sold all my Fujifilm gear when I bought the Q3, just after it was released, but may pick up the X100VI to have a small, light, less expensive camera that's not an iPhone. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb GREG PLAT:

my opinion is you don't know what you want. figure out what you want, where you want to improve your images or shooting style and then consider a new camera. maybe it's not even a new camera but a trip to a city you've never been to or a new photo book for inspiration. this back and forth has been going on for a couple of pages and you're still where you set off.

1 hour ago, GREG PLAT said:

I uploaded some random photos from my last trip to Berlin and Munchen in order to see my photographic style. All photos are Screenshots from JPEG and unedited striaght from camera. All photos are from my small and lovely Ricoh GRII. Its very discreet and i can be invisible in a way. I never used XT5 for street photography! 

Maybe i am asking my self i have all i need Ricoh GR II and XT5 and why go to buy a camera 6.000$ in order to have more sharp, better photos when my project is not to print in big dimensions 70 x100cm but print books with my photos 20x30cm or sell them via my website. Its more difficult and rude to shot with a bigger camera Leica q3 30cm from faces.

Cracking images Greg! Love them! Superb.

Dont take this as criticism, but would having a super sharp lens, and a 60mp FF sensor really improve your images? I dont think so. These are not the kinda images that you need high res, high DR sensors for, if this is your type of photography I say but a GRIII, and stay as you are,  add a 28mm equiv to the XT5 for the times when you want some control over DOF or to shoot a landscape, but a Q3 I think is a waste.

Also I am shocked at the size difference between the Q3 and Xt5 with 18mm, absolutely huge difference. The Q isnt a small camera. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

my opinion is you don't know what you want. figure out what you want, where you want to improve your images or shooting style and then consider a new camera. maybe it's not even a new camera but a trip to a city you've never been to or a new photo book for inspiration. this back and forth has been going on for a couple of pages and you're still where you set off.

scio me nihil scire ( I know that I know nothing)

Socrates

we exchange ideas creatively, i uploaded photos to see me style in order to suggest what you believe.

I will decide.

Edited by GREG PLAT

9 minutes ago, JTLeica said:

Cracking images Greg! Love them! Superb.

Dont take this as criticism, but would having a super sharp lens, and a 60mp FF sensor really improve your images? I dont think so. These are not the kinda images that you need high res, high DR sensors for, if this is your type of photography I say but a GRIII, and stay as you are,  add a 28mm equiv to the XT5 for the times when you want some control over DOF or to shoot a landscape, but a Q3 I think is a waste.

Also I am shocked at the size difference between the Q3 and Xt5 with 18mm, absolutely huge difference. The Q isnt a small camera. 

Thanks for your kind words, I will see for GRIII its an upgrade from GRII. You are right my photography is not DR and sharpness. 

• Like 1

I shot a X100 for a long time and used the GR camera for sometime prior and still do). For my work where I don't particularly care about all the photo forum criteria of "quality" I find the GRII quite suitable.  

I did look seriously at the Q but found it too large and lacking in any of the aspects I really value.  Still a wonderful camera but not for me.

For your style, which is similar to mine, I don't see how the Q will enhance the images.  Although the tool does impact the outcome in subtle ways.  Just like taking a M out with a single lens affects your work.

Edited by KFo
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, GREG PLAT said:

Thanks for your kind words, I will see for GRIII its an upgrade from GRII. You are right my photography is not DR and sharpness. 

I think you are pretty much there with your decision Greg... Upgrade to the GRIII, I used to have one and the quality is great.

42 minutes ago, KFo said:

I shot a X100 for a long time and used the GR camera for sometime prior and still do). For my work where I don't particularly care about all the photo forum criteria of "quality" I find the GRII quite suitable.  

I did look seriously at the Q but found it too large and lacking in any of the aspects I really value.  Still a wonderful camera but not for me.

For your style, which is similar to mine, I don't see how the Q will enhance the images.  Although the tool does impact the outcome in subtle ways.  Just like taking a M out with a single lens affects your work.

Totally agree with you.

The Ricoh is clearly the most pocketable.

I shot with an X100T for a few years and a Q for a couple of years. I never found carrying the Q a burden, not at all.

I owned an XT4 and just never gelled with it. Too many buttons and knobs, to many custom features etc. The images were nice.

I still say the Q2 is a good upgrade from an X100 or XT series. I don't see the point in spending more on the Q3 unless you always want the 'latest and greatest'.

2 hours ago, Chris W said:

The Ricoh is clearly the most pocketable.

I shot with an X100T for a few years and a Q for a couple of years. I never found carrying the Q a burden, not at all.

I owned an XT4 and just never gelled with it. Too many buttons and knobs, to many custom features etc. The images were nice.

I still say the Q2 is a good upgrade from an X100 or XT series. I don't see the point in spending more on the Q3 unless you always want the 'latest and greatest'.

My point is .... You organize a 10 days trip to Japan a lifetime trip,Landscapes, cities,people.  A photpographer paradise!  Havana, Iceland, India.....

You go with Ricoh gr? Only? Should you have it with you a great camera? Q3 or XT5 with a lens? 

17 minutes ago, GREG PLAT said:

My point is .... You organize a 10 days trip to Japan a lifetime trip,Landscapes, cities,people.  A photpographer paradise!  Havana, Iceland, India.....

You go with Ricoh gr? Only? Should you have it with you a great camera? Q3 or XT5 with a lens? 

I agree, I wouldn't go to any of those places with just a GR, when you put it like that... However Greg you did say you wanted a one camera, one lens, fixed lens, solution, and did say you dont want to edit... And you want 28mm... Doesnt exactly leave Many options buddy.

Buy a 24mp Ricoh GR, buy some nice lenses for your Fuji XT5 and keep the 2k difference in cost vs the Q3... Q3 is still only a 28mm camera. Well, 26 really.

17 minutes ago, JTLeica said:

I agree, I wouldn't go to any of those places with just a GR, when you put it like that... However Greg you did say you wanted a one camera, one lens, fixed lens, solution, and did say you dont want to edit... And you want 28mm... Doesnt exactly leave Many options buddy.

Buy a 24mp Ricoh GR, buy some nice lenses for your Fuji XT5 and keep the 2k difference in cost vs the Q3... Q3 is still only a 28mm camera. Well, 26 really.

I agree tottally with you JTLeica but I would like to enjoy my trips and not carrying bags and lenses anymore. 

Money is not the problem, i have 8000$ stock for camera and my first trips. 

Maybe i ll buy Q3 and GRII carry as back up.

I am 28mm 

On 2/21/2024 at 11:26 PM, MikeD70 said:

I have used Fuji equipment professionally, for many years, and always got great results.  When the original X100 came out, I was lucky to get an early one.  I loved that thing, and upgraded to each new model through the V.  I sold that one, when I got my original Q, and soon regretted it.  I have a VI on order, and will pick it up when I get the call.  Not as a Q3 replacement, but there are times when it makes sense to risk a camera that doesn't cost $6,000, if the need arises.  Experience tells me it will be a great tool. 

By the way, I still have, and use a lot, an excellent XPro 3.  No plans on getting rid of it.  They all have their place.

Well, I got that call this morning, picking up the X100VI tomorrow.  Anxious to see how their new autofocus does, compared to the XPro 3, among other things.  As stated earlier, NOT a replacement for my Q3, or XPro, just another tool that should fit right in there, somewhere.  It takes a mighty fine A.F. system to keep up with fast dogs and three year old's !

47 minutes ago, GREG PLAT said:

I agree tottally with you JTLeica but I would like to enjoy my trips and not carrying bags and lenses anymore. 

Money is not the problem, i have 8000$ stock for camera and my first trips. 

Maybe i ll buy Q3 and GRII carry as back up.

I am 28mm 

That is nearly exactly what I have.  The Q3 is my main travel camera and I bring a GR IIIx as a backup.  I would only bring a second system (OM-1 in my case) with tele/zoom for traveling to view and photograph wildlife.  I have no issues with the Q3's jpegs--set for vivid with a few minor adjustments.  I also have my Q3 set for medium size jpegs and full size raw.  I process the raw files selectively.  I view my Q3 as my last camera.

4 hours ago, GREG PLAT said:

I guess I'm on the other side of this.  If the Ricoh GRII (in my case) was my camera of choice for most stuff then that is what I'd take.  I think you are grossly underestimating the capabilities of that camera.

I have taken the GR on extraordinary trips as a sole camera.  In fact, I dropped it on one trip and broke the dickens out of it.  I used my iPhone the rest of day.  Frankensteined the GR back together that night and continued using it.  Things happen...

Camera doesn't make the image.

• Like 1

Mine arrived today. It and a Q2 will go to Kuala Lumpur at the weekend. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3