S 100/2 on the SL2.

Mda13x

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently picked up a S 007 and a S 100/2.  I decided not to keep the 007 and am pondering keeping the 100 and shooting it on my SL2 with adapter.

I would appreciate thoughts and experiences with this combo before I shell out the grand for the adapter.  Image quality/rendering on the SL, auto focus speed the same I'm assuming as it was on the ?  Eye AF?

The SL 90/2 vs S 100/2?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mda13x

Based on mtf and my ownership, 90 apo all the way.  Stunning lens on sl2.  Prob also a cheaper price all-in.

i would guess the 100 f2 S renders more like the SL 50 1.4 so pick your look you prefer.

Robb

• Like 2

Hi Robb,

I do own the SL 50 Summilux. haven't tried the 90/2.  Interesting to compare the SL 50 lux vs the SL 90/2 as well as the S 100  for OOF.

A few images with the 007 and 100/2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Missed focus on the eye.

Edited by Mda13x
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Mda13x said:

I recently picked up a S 007 and a S 100/2.  I decided not to keep the 007 and am pondering keeping the 100 and shooting it on my SL2 with adapter.

I would appreciate thoughts and experiences with this combo before I shell out the grand for the adapter.  Image quality/rendering on the SL, auto focus speed the same I'm assuming as it was on the ?  Eye AF?

The SL 90/2 vs S 100/2?

Thanks in advance!

AF with S lenses on SL is sloooow and not very reliable, so I handle S-lenses as manual focus lenses on SLx (and often on S). Its fantastic how accurate you can manually focus the S-lenses on SLx (for static scenes). For moving targets, focus with S-lenses is tricky. 

Optically, the SL lenses are at the top. This includes SL50Lux. The S-lenses are also outstanding, but with some imperfection. Personally, I like the latter mix, but for optical perfection, go for the SL primes. 

Regarding S100: A beautiful portrait lens. The oof rendering can be a little busy/nervous. And expect some colour fringing at high contrast edges. When it comes to SL90: Virtually no colour fringing, oof can be a little nervous also, but less than with the S100. 

Sizewise and for handling/balance on SLx, SL90 is clearly more comfortable (for me).

When I am in an 'artistic' mood, I pick the S100. Otherwise - and for predictable results - SL90. 

Edited by helged
  • Like 3

Personally I think you would be better off with the 90mm, but it depends on what you are looking for. Here are some of the things I think of:

1. The 100mm and adapter weigh 1210g without the tripod foot. The 90mm weighs 700g.

2. The 90mm is 102mm long with a 67mm filter (couldn't find the hood info, but it is about 4cm). The S100 is 185mm long with the hood and adapter and uses 82mm filters.

3. The 90mm is APO corrected and the 100mm is not.

4. The 90mm focuses more quickly and accurately and to 60cm instead of 70cm.

5. The 90mm has significantly better optical performance at all apertures, even stopped down.

Basically, the reasons to choose the S100mm are:

1. You already have the lens and adapter.

2. You are attached to its specific rendering.

Those are not bad reasons. The S 100mm is still an excellent lens. But as someone who got into the SL system from the S system and thought I would primarily be using the S lenses, I can say that it did not last long. As soon as I had the 50mm APO Summicron and the 90-280mm, I have rarely picked up the S lenses for use on the SL. I should note that most of my work is more technical or landscape, so bokeh does not rate as important for me as it does for some people. That said, I think the bokeh in the APO Summicrons is very pleasing, and I think the biggest advantage beyond sharpness is the excellent color and the total lack of chromatic aberration and especially longitudinal chromatic aberration (bokeh fringing...when the background shifts green or magenta), which I find particularly ugly.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Mda13x said:

Gentleman, 

Many thanks for your thoughts!  In agreement.  I think I will let the S100/2 and give the SL 90/2 a go.

Easy to rent the SL90 in the US, if store demo not convenient, if you want to assess before purchasing.  Otherwise suggest reputable dealer with warranty and return policy.

Jeff

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:48 PM, Mda13x said:

Gentleman, 

Many thanks for your thoughts!  In agreement.  I think I will let the S100/2 and give the SL 90/2 a go.

Hi there, 

I did exactly the opposite. I had the SL 90 APO and the S 100 and shot them side by side on the SL2-S. I liked the 100mm more for its higher reach. 100mm vs 90mm made a difference to me. The OOF rendering or bokeh was not so different as was color rendering. In the end I kept the 100mm S because it is a two purpose lens: It can be used on the S 007 and on the SL2-2! Which is a great advantage as the 90 SL can be used only on the SL2-S....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...