M11 service interval?

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a two year old M11. Love it!

Is there is a recommended service interval when I should send the camera body to Leica to get checked out? The rangefinder mechanism is complex. Does this need to be calibrated at any recommended interval or wait until I have start having issues with focus?

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

No different than the other M’s you’ve owned for years.

I’ve sent Leica bodies in for service (Leica or third party) a few times since the 80’s.  I last sent in an M8.2 along with 3 lenses, only at Leica request, to assist in calibration checks.

Jeff 

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

Do not send anything in at any interval unless it is broken. It is not a Rolex with recommended 5 year maintenance. This is a really good tip.

Just keep in mind that if you send in your M11 for service today, you will be able to acquire an M14 before your M11 returns home. 😳

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Oh dear, service interval is strictly 12 months!!!

Not really, it's a camera, not a car, there's no need for any kind of service unless or until you are having a problem. The rangefinder only needs calibration if it's out of whack (which is obvious as stuff won't line up properly).

Someone once said on here that they send all of their cameras and lenses to Leica every couple of years for 'service'. I bet Leica love him!

The MTTF (mean time to failure) being quite low for my M11, there is no need for me that Leica defines a service interval.. 🙂
my 10 months old M11 is back to wetzlar. ( announced repair time : 10 weeks…in theory…). 
let’s hope that the MTBF is better than the MTTF

Edited by chris7273

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 2:00 PM, chris7273 said:

The MTTF (mean time to failure) being quite low for my M11, there is no need for me that Leica defines a service interval.. 🙂
my 10 months old M11 is back to wetzlar. ( announced repair time : 10 weeks…in theory…). 
let’s hope that the MTBF is better than the MTTF

I am very happy : I was sarcastic with my previous post. 
the M11 is back : brought to the Leica store on the 11th of February and it was back from Germany last week. 
Visoflex was replaced and circuit board replaced. Quite quick and very happy. 

• Like 2