24mm Summilux or 28mm Summilux

Cronilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to get something wider than 35mm. I had a 24mm Summilux for years and loved it. I use 24mm on my other cameras as a main lens as well pretty often. 

That being said, I love my Q2 as well, but it is basically occupied by my wife for everyday photos of our kids. 

The smaller size of the 28 speaks to me, but I have no comparison of the Lux 24 vs 28.

The problem is, I have a really great offer for each one of them and was initially hoping the better offer would simply do the decision for me. 

So which one would you go for?

Edited by Cronilux

vor 47 Minuten schrieb duoenboge:

Try this mini lense: 28 mm/1:2,8 Color Skopar asphärisch VM Type 2 for round about 700€ (!).

F2.8 is meh.

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Jeff S:

The focal length I prefer.  

Jeff

I like both focal length. So now what? 😂

I‘ve read, that 28 Lux is more prone to chromatic abberations.

The 28 Lux is also a good beat cheaper. 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb jaeger:

Just a question to yourself, when you use a 24-70 zoom lens.  Do you use 24 more or 28 more?  I bet you’re always on either 24 or 70 only.  

I hate zoom lenses. I own a 24-70/2.8 only for filming with my Sony A7sIII and in that case use the whole focal range depending on the shot I am getting. 

Well, the 24 Summilux was discontinued quite a few years ago, which may affect its availability, whereas the 28 Summikux is current. I have the 28 Summilux and haven’t been overly bothered by ca.  I also find the 24 field of view a bit strange (can’t tell you why).

You could consider getting the 24 Summilux, then adding a cheaper 28 like the Elmarit or the Summaron later. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb IkarusJohn:

Well, the 24 Summilux was discontinued quite a few years ago, which may affect its availability, whereas the 28 Summikux is current. I have the 28 Summilux and haven’t been overly bothered by ca.  

I just remembered, that I had a 28mm Summilux rented for two days in 2019 and thanks to your comment just checked these.

I now remembered why I didn’t keep it back then. The CA is definitely bothering me and the 24 Lux doesn’t have any issue like that. 

I feel like 24mm is a pretty common focal length, just not in the Leica world. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cronilux said:

I just remembered, that I had a 28mm Summilux rented for two days in 2019 and thanks to your comment just checked these.

I now remembered why I didn’t keep it back then. The CA is definitely bothering me and the 24 Lux doesn’t have any issue like that. 

Interesting; good to know this, about these two wide-angle Summilux lenses. Both are, realistically, too expensive, for me, unless I raid my retirement savings.

I rarely used 24mm with my DSLRs, ignoring the 24mm ends of my 14-24mm and 24-70mm zoom lenses, but am now liking the Elmar-M 24mm ASPH.

1 hour ago, Cronilux said:

And there’s you answer!

You can always add a different 28 later.  I have the 28 Summaron, and it’s a gem!

PS - I’m with @RexGig0 on the 24, now that I think about it.  I had the fabulous 14-24 Nikkor AF-S zoom, and used it a lot at 14 or 24. Rarely in the middle (as framing demanded - not so fond of zooms) and I also use my SL 24-90 at the wide end most of the time.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Even if I'm a bit late here: at the time of my M 246 and Q, I was also faced with the decision of Summilux 28 or 24 (because I simply wanted to have a speed of 1.4, collective tick). At first I thought 28 would make more sense, because I still like to shoot analog and can therefore use it on digital and analog and my wife has snatched up the Q anyway. However, when evaluating the photos, I realized that if you don't want to take another wide angle with you because of the weight, 24 makes more sense. After skipping the M10 series, I've now ended up with the M11 and M11M and am still enthusiastic about the 1.4/24 and, although I also have the 3.4/21 Asph (because of the weight), I won't be giving it away. At the same time, I use it on city tours together with the 1.4/35 SR (II) or 1.4/50 Asph and am well served.

Here are a few picture examples (which in my opinion are usually more meaningful than many flowery words):

Venice

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M 246 * Leica Summilix M 1.4/24 Asph * ISO 320 * f/4.0 * 8 sec (Leica mini tripod) * CaptureOne

Vienna

Leica M11 * Leica Summilux M 1.4/24 Asph * ISO 200 * f/1.4 (in the Exif is 2.4, but this is definitely wrong) * 1/125 sec * CaptureOne

Edited by S/W
  • Like 5

A bit late as the horse has bolted and the OP has bought a 24mm Summilux now and good luck with that, but for me viewfinder blockage with either the 24 or 28 Summilux rules both of them out for me, ( as it also rules out for my usage of any over-large M mount lens whether by Leica or by who-ever else ), because with hoods mounted they can block nearly half of the VF which is nuts, what's the point of putting up with that?............... Of course you can use a clip-on 24mm VF or if one uses the Visoflex EVF that problem goes away, but I've never used them on my M's disliking any / all EVFs and especially so on a M body.

I recently bought the 24mm Elmarit M 2.8, a lovely lens but it's OEM lens-hood is too large and with viewing to every boundary in the viewfinder, plus more, that lens's blockage I too find too much so I use it without it's hood or with a cheapo €11,00 55mm ventilated hood just found on Amazon that works better than the OEM hood for me...........However all said and done the 24mm FL is one of my preferred, it's a great POV on a M.

PS. An alternative to the 24mm Leica lenses if it can be found is the tiny Voigtlander 25mm Color Skopar, it's tack sharp, no horrible distortion and when mounted on an M there's little or no VF blockage. I have one and with it's other Color Skopar brethren it's a great affordable option for the wider FL's.

Edited by Smudgerer
added PS
  • Like 1

I have both plus the 21mm Summilux and if you don’t shoot at f/1.4 there’s no reason to buy any of them unless shooting slow film of course. These lenses have a look at f1.4 and it’s not about sharp and contrasty. A lot of lenses can do sharp and contrasty. 

• Like 1

Pleased the OP got the 24 Summilux - its one of my favourite M lenses and probably my most used focal length in any system. Wide angle street has been my thing since before Alan Schaller even thought of taking up photography.....

You can use the 24mm without a separate finder as its 'just 5% outside the VF frame. Easy to estimate. VF blockage has never bothered me as shooting with a RF is always an approximate experience anyway!

The point about the 24 summilux is not so much having the unusual super wide but shallow DOF with a close object effect (can be a bit gimicky), BUT the way it renders. It has a subtle 3 dimensionality that the 24 Elmarit dosent have.

• Like 2

Ihad a 24 once and now the 28. I prefer both 21 and 28 over 24.

28 for situations with people, environmental portraits, allround. 24 is a bit too wide here for my taste.

for bigger scenes and uwa look I like 21.

I now own both 28 lux and cron. On the M11 the 28 lux does show some ca. its also considerably bigger than the cron. But then the wide open look is also nice for certain things. 
for landscape I would prefer 24 over 28 though.