Leica CL combo ideas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, newbie here for the first time!  I don’t have any Leica experience and am coming from a Nikon film background. I have the opportunity to purchase a reasonably priced Leica CL + Elmarit -TL 18mm f2.8 ASPH. I was thinking about what other lenses would give me a rounded combination for mainly nature, landscapes, macro and some street photography. Ideally I’m after the smallest travel outfit for convenience. So here I am to seek a little education and hopefully hear experienced opinions on the possibilities. I stumbled across a good price for a lens that could have potential and wanted to get some feedback on that as well. Any thoughts on combining the CL with the Leica Macro-Elmar M-90 f/4? Of course I’d have to get the Leica M-Adapter L and the Leica Macro-Adapter M. Would all these adapter combinations work? Any ideas and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, A

Yes you did but this is a lens of limited use. The standard zoom is far more suited for your general use except macro   Mine has been lying in the safe for more than a year. I still would advise you to supplement your set with the zoom and look at a less costly solution for the macro bit. The Sigma 70 mm macro L is huge, but it works very well, for instance, and it goes to 1:1   

• Thanks 1

+1 for a 18-56 TL as the general purpose lens.
Keep the 18mm TL as your most compact solution.

If you do not mind manual focusing and vintage lenses, then the Leica Macro Elmarit 1:2.8/60mm R lens comes to mind. You would only need a good mechanical R-L adapter, not the Leica one.
Including the adapter, it will be about the same size as the 18-56 TL with hood mounted.

The Macro Elmarit goes to 1:2 on FF and there is a macro adapter R to reach 1:1, the same as the Sigma 70mm.
With bellows you can go even further. Some say to 5:1, but I did not try that yet.

7 hours ago, aesthete said:

Any thoughts on combining the CL with the Leica Macro-Elmar M-90 f/4? Of course I’d have to get the Leica M-Adapter L and the Leica Macro-Adapter M. Would all these adapter combinations work?

I did not try the macro adapter v1 with goggles, which is made for M cameras, but the macro adapter v2 works fine together with the Leica M to L adapter and the Macro-Elmar 90/4 v1 (no experience with v2). The combo is recognized as "Macro-Adapter-M mit Macro-Elmar-M 1:4/90" and can be used as a regular 90mm lens when the optical cell is fully retracted. The lens has then a 135mm equiv. FoV due to the 1.5x crop factor. Same when the macro adapter is removed, in which case the lens is recognized as "Macro-Elmar-M 1:4/90".

18 hours ago, aesthete said:

Hi, newbie here for the first time!  I don’t have any Leica experience and am coming from a Nikon film background. I have the opportunity to purchase a reasonably priced Leica CL + Elmarit -TL 18mm f2.8 ASPH. I was thinking about what other lenses would give me a rounded combination for mainly nature, landscapes, macro and some street photography. Ideally I’m after the smallest travel outfit for convenience. So here I am to seek a little education and hopefully hear experienced opinions on the possibilities. I stumbled across a good price for a lens that could have potential and wanted to get some feedback on that as well. Any thoughts on combining the CL with the Leica Macro-Elmar M-90 f/4? Of course I’d have to get the Leica M-Adapter L and the Leica Macro-Adapter M. Would all these adapter combinations work? Any ideas and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, A

Hi, I am on my third CL Digital, sold it, regreted it, second one stolen, now on my third with Q2 in between.  My kit now includes the sigma 24mm f3.5 (had the tl 23mm sold it), sigma 18-50mm f2.8 (had the tl 18-56mm sold it) and the sigma 90mm (for special occasions).  The Sigma 24mm is always on the body unless I need zoom.  I'm happy with where I have finally landed and always pleased with the results I get.  The TL's are very good lenses but I find the Sigma to be sharper and very durable.  I have relied on Jim Fishers evaluations from PCMagazine on the Sigma lenses and his IMATest results of sharpness to be spot on for me.

• Like 1

Hi All, thanks to you all for your experienced feedback. Most appreciated. Will take on this important information. Unfortunately I wasn’t fast enough with the Leica CL and missed out on its purchase. But will continue to search for a CL with the recommended lense combinations. Thanks again, A 

• Like 1

CL/60mm Elmarit TL  

Super Lens..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

For my CL I have the 11-23, a fantastic lens, the 23, not as good as the 11-23 but an f2. Then I have filled out with mostly older M lenses, a 35 pre asph Summilux, a 90 f2.8 a 135 f4, a 200 f4 and a 400 f5.6. I also have a 55 f1.4 7 Artisans that isa nice lens. For macro I have adapted Nikons, 105 f2.8 and a 200 f4, the latter focuses very quickly and slightly better than the 105. I did medical photography for 30 or so years and always trusted Nikon macro (micro) lenses. If I am just focusing close not in a macro situation, the 55 and 135 are quite good.

My usual travel combination with the CL was the 11-23, 35 and 60 TL lenses. If I wanted to take just two lenses (not often) I omitted the 35, superb thought it is. I had the 18 for a while and was usually disappointed with it compared to the IQ of the others, though its size is its main virtue. I never really got on with the 23, better than the 18 though it is, and sold it. The wide angle zoom (I’m a wide rather than a long person) and the 60 for portraits and macro were an ideal combination for me. I kept the 18-56, but rarely used it - no criticism, it just got squeezed out between the other lenses. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

I like 23mm on the CL: high quality and small/light. I am traveling with CL+23mm and a7cR + a set of primes and zooms. Sony stays in the room most of the time.

Has anyone tried the new Sigma 10-18?

For those who may wish a higher quality 18mm, the Sigma 17mm could be an option.