Q3 Anti Theft Ideas?

In that case you are better off using a cat GPS tracker. Far more reliable for this type of use.  

5 minutes ago, thegobi said:

Because there are bins in the ‘wilds’? …please read what I wrote… 😆

I am talking about your low level bag snatchers after cash and cards—your camera is just collateral damage.. they don’t know or care about Leicas or your expensive Oberworth bag. They wouldn’t know who to sell it to if they did…

Not all thieves are professional members of the Evil League of Evil who can spot a Leica (even with a black logo!) from 50 metres. 😆

A new Leica Q costs around $10,000 here—an AirTag is less than 50 bucks… Why wouldn’t you use one anyway, just in case?

🤪

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

In that case you are better off using a cat GPS tracker. Far more reliable for this type of use.  

Maybe… I don’t know anything about them - are they less than $50AU and can fit in a half case? If not, I don’t really care…

The point is: I don’t intend to get my bag or camera stolen in the first place—this was just a follow up idea for when ‘all else has failed’…

There are only two scenarios here:

1. don’t look like you have expensive stuff
  2. don't give thieves the opportunity to take your expensive stuff

I focus on the second one because sometimes it is just impossible to not look like a tourist  😜

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are in agreeance!  😆

Just check the fine print!

10 minutes ago, jaapv said:

AKA Insurance...

Some personal policies won’t cover you if they think you are taking photos professionally.

That includes selling prints from your website…

Edited by thegobi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

So get a policy that fits your case.

I do—the advice was for others who may not know. You know, sharing useful information on a forum and all that…
Wow… do you ever say anything positive? 🤪

Anyway, you sound like a real Q lover —  I would love to see some of the photos you have taken! 
Which image thread have you posted in?  🙂

The Q is not for me. It would be a complete waste of money as it would live in the safe. Photographs on this forum? 298 pages of attachments…

I've seen enough films to know that if you can't hide something, obfuscate it. (or is there another similar word which I can't find right now.. anyway..)

Carry 20 cheap cameras around your neck, it will be harder for a thief to spot the Leica.

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The Q is not for me. It would be a complete waste of money as it would live in the safe. Photographs on this forum? 298 pages of attachments…

Hey I don’t doubt you! I just wanted to have a look at your photos… but if would prefer to brag about the number of attachments rather than just mention where they are… well…

…anyway, I am off to chat and share info and photos with other Q owners…

…you have given the final word on an anti-theft device for a Q3 — leave it in the safe 🤣

10 minutes ago, dancook said:

I've seen enough films to know that if you can't hide something, obfuscate it. (or is there another similar word which I can't find right now.. anyway..)

Carry 20 cheap cameras around your neck, it will be harder for a thief to spot the Leica.

That. Is. Hilarious! 🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thegobi said:

Hey I don’t doubt you! I just wanted to have a look at your photos… but if would prefer to brag about the number of attachments rather than just mention where they are… well…

…anyway, I am off to chat and share info and photos with other Q owners…

…you have given the final word on an anti-theft device for a Q3 — leave it in the safe 🤣

They are all over the image threads A few thousand of them…Maybe you should look at image threads once in a while. Our members post some amazing stuff. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Speaking from experience.

About 20 years ago a pretty desperate looking fellow relieved me if my camera bag with M4, 35 and 50 Summicron.

Insured…two weeks later I had a new M6 and updated lenses at no cost.

As others have said…it’s stuff…not worth your life.

I have an acquaintance who a few years back was wearing his Rolex in a sketchy are of a city he was visiting.  Someone wanted it and he fought back.  They got the watch and he got a broken wrist and a concussion.

Edited by bobtodrick

4 hours ago, thegobi said:

And yet here you are…

@jaapv is a forum moderator. That should be obvious if you can read.

This is such a silly thread. All you need is common sense about where you go + a good insurance policy. Tracking for cameras is next to meaningless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I do think that your home insurance should cover you even if you are on the go or in a hotel room (for professionals of course there are tailor made insurances). 

I would also be concerned about someone breaking into my house during my absence and stealing camera(s) and more which would have a way higher value that what I would be able to carry on me during a street walk.  

Edited by adrianh

1 hour ago, adrianh said:

I do think that your home insurance should cover you even if you are on the go or in a hotel room (for professionals of course there are tailor made insurances). 

I would also be concerned about someone breaking into my house during my absence and stealing camera(s) and more which would have a way higher value that what I would be able to carry on me during a street walk.  

It is wise to register high-value items with your home insurance.

• Like 1

My home insurance (arranged through brokers, currently with Covea) covers camera equipment anywhere while travelling unless I leave it visible in an unattended car. In the boot (trunk) is fine. I am obliged to provide an overall value of my photographic equipment to the insurers, and list items over a specified value - which seems to change from time to time: the list is shorter than it used to be. I've never had to claim for camera kit under this cover (I've claimed for three stolen bicycles).

I have had two theft events. Once I left my Pentax MX and lens in a bag on the bank of a remote river in Tuscany while I was swimming. It was not quite as remote as I thought, and the camera was gone when I got back to the bank. Insurance covered this, and I got a nice (used) black paint MX as a replacement. The other was the loss of my M2 and several lenses from hold baggage during a complex series of flights from Islamabad to Entebbe. It was in hold baggage because I had irreplaceable business documents in my cabin baggage. My employer's insurance paid for replacements.

Lesson: get insurance.

• Like 3