90mm and 135mm lens on M

markc2

I've acquired much better moon pics with my telescopes or long Canon lenses, but I could not resist testing my new M11 Monochrome together with the vintage 1968 135/4 Tele-Elmar on yesterdays "half moon". It is incredible what even with such a short focal length is possible when you have such small and sharp pixels. Exposure details: f/4, 1/750s, ISO 800, cropped and 2x upscaled

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, nussbusch said:

Exposure details: f/4, 1/750s, ISO 800, cropped and 2x upscaled

I would love to see the results from F8 1/500 ISO 1250 (tripod?). The Tele-Elmar 135 is very good wide open, but it should be even sharper at F8.

One thought occurred...

135mm is a 'telephoto' focal length, which traditionally meant a lens used to brings far-away subjects closer.  An M with a Tele-Elmar will do a fine job of that, even wide open.  Shooting subjects closer than, say, 3-5 meters, is where the focus accuracy becomes problematic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am 29.11.2023 um 04:55 schrieb BillCB:

But I find I need a shutter speed of 1/500 or faster unless I'm using a tripod of course.

Someone from Leica once said: "There are some lenses you have to fix in concrete to see how they resolve". The 135mm Apo-Telyt is certainly one of these lenses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/25/2023 at 10:01 PM, markc2 said:

Hi All, 

Sometimes I like to be lazy and not get out of the car, one of my best and most lucky shots I got with a 90mm on an R8 from inside the car. SO...what tips and tricks do you all use on the M series with these lenses? From what I understand these two lenses are the upper limits of Rangefinder use. If I'm wrong with that thought please let me know!

Thank you!

Mark

My limit would be 90mm and I wouldn’t buy a vintage Leica lens. I would get the Voigtlander 90 APO. That and a crop should be sufficient.  

• Thanks 1