what 90mm lens did HCB use

williamj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, I need some help. I'm trying to find evidence of the 90mm focal length lenses that Henri Cartier-Bresson used. I'm starting a collection of copies of all the lenses that Henri Cartier-Bresson used, of course not the actual ones, I don't have that kind of money. It is recorded that while he mainly used 50mm focal length lenses, he also used 35mm and 90mm lenses.

So far I have either documentary or photographic evidence, i.e., a photo of Bresson holding a camera with a particular lens, for 50mm and 35mm focal length lenses but so far I have no evidence of the 90mm lenses that he used. Of course I could guess what lenses he used but that's not the point, there has to be some evidence.

Thanks in advance.

Now, in case you're interested, I've come across documentary or photographic evidence for 50mm Elmar f3.5, 50mm Summar, 50mm Summarit f1.5, 50mm Summicron v1, 50mm Summicron v2 (rigid), and 50mm Noctilux f1.2. I can't find evidence so far that he used a 50mm Summitar. There is also evidence for 35mm Elmar f3.5, 35mm Summaron-RF f2.8, and 35mm Summicron v1 (8e). The Summaron-RF is an inference based on a gift of an M3 to Patricio Estay but only the M3 may have come from Bresson. The 35 Summicron v1 (8e) was an M-mount lens transformed to LTM.

If any of this is in error please let me know. I can say that I will probably not be able to acquire an original Noctilux f1.2 or an 35mm Summicron-M v1 transformed to LTM due to the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jc_braconi said:

Just about your last sentence the 35 Summicron 8 element exist in LTM and not needed to be transformed.

I will add that he used also a Leica Minilux in black version.

Thank you, yes, the Minilux lens is a good addition. I am in two minds about getting the cameras as well, while the Barnack cameras are relatively inexpensive, an M4 with M3 viewfinder will be expensive because I know of only 3 that were made. I've also seen a picture of Bresson with a CL, the 50 summicron v1 and what appears to be a SBOOI viewfinder. Good to know that one doesn't have to stick to the venerable VIDOM. I have a VIDOM turning up soon, I know it provokes strong opinions, so I'll know for myself.

Thanks for your note about the 8 element in LTM. I agree that it would be simpler to get one but I think it may be more expensive than the M mount.  The question I face is how close does this collection have to be to what he used. For example, the lens hood for his summarit f1.5 is definitely non-standard. And if the collection is to be exact then converting an 8 element summicron-M to LTM is out of the question. It would be bonkers, to be honest.

I have the remembrance of a picture of HCB, taken from side, wearing a hat and with a Barnack in his hands, looking through an external black viewfinder (a Vidom ?) , the lens was a chrome long one... but surely not a 135 : by logic, an Elmar 90 : it was partially covered by his hand but remember that something black like the vulcanite strip was visible (less probable, an Elmarit 90), Unfortunately cannot remember other details.. I was browsing some book on some street-bench of used books... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, williamj said:

..The question I face is how close does this collection have to be to what he used?......

It will be your collection so there are no hard-and-fast 'rules' whatsoever. You, yourself, will have to set the rules which will satisfy your idea of the collection.

Best of good fortune!

Philip.

10 hours ago, williamj said:

Hi all, I need some help. I'm trying to find evidence of the 90mm focal length lenses that Henri Cartier-Bresson used. I'm starting a collection of copies of all the lenses that Henri Cartier-Bresson used, of course not the actual ones, I don't have that kind of money. It is recorded that while he mainly used 50mm focal length lenses, he also used 35mm and 90mm lenses.

So far I have either documentary or photographic evidence, i.e., a photo of Bresson holding a camera with a particular lens, for 50mm and 35mm focal length lenses but so far I have no evidence of the 90mm lenses that he used. Of course I could guess what lenses he used but that's not the point, there has to be some evidence.

Thanks in advance.

Now, in case you're interested, I've come across documentary or photographic evidence for 50mm Elmar f3.5, 50mm Summar, 50mm Summarit f1.5, 50mm Summicron v1, 50mm Summicron v2 (rigid), and 50mm Noctilux f1.2. I can't find evidence so far that he used a 50mm Summitar. There is also evidence for 35mm Elmar f3.5, 35mm Summaron-RF f2.8, and 35mm Summicron v1 (8e). The Summaron-RF is an inference based on a gift of an M3 to Patricio Estay but only the M3 may have come from Bresson. The 35 Summicron v1 (8e) was an M-mount lens transformed to LTM.

If any of this is in error please let me know. I can say that I will probably not be able to acquire an original Noctilux f1.2 or an 35mm Summicron-M v1 transformed to LTM due to the cost.

Hi William - here's another lens to add to your list. According to Richard L. Simon's (ca. 1952) interview with HCB,  at that time he was also using a Nikkor 50mm f 1.5. Probably very hard to find given that it was introduced in 1950 and discontinued the same year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pippy said:

It will be your collection so there are no hard-and-fast 'rules' whatsoever. You, yourself, will have to set the rules which will satisfy your idea of the collection.

Best of good fortune!

Philip.

Thanks, you’re right. I shall avoid needless straitjacketing. I might put in photos of the missing items for context :)

1 hour ago, Shac said:

Hi William - here's another lens to add to your list. According to Richard L. Simon's (ca. 1952) interview with HCB,  at that time he was also using a Nikkor 50mm f 1.5. Probably very hard to find given that it was introduced in 1950 and discontinued the same year!

Thanks for that. I shall chase the reference up it may have other hints in it as well.

Edited by williamj

3 hours ago, luigi bertolotti said:

I have the remembrance of a picture of HCB, taken from side, wearing a hat and with a Barnack in his hands, looking through an external black viewfinder (a Vidom ?) , the lens was a chrome long one... but surely not a 135 : by logic, an Elmar 90 : it was partially covered by his hand but remember that something black like the vulcanite strip was visible (less probable, an Elmarit 90), Unfortunately cannot remember other details.. I was browsing some book on some street-bench of used books... 

ok that’s good news because it means that such a photo exists and I need to track it down. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, williamj said:

Thanks for that. I shall chase the reference up it may have other hints in it as well.

William - it is in a collection of interviews and conversations with HCB published by Aperture in 2017 ISBN 9781597113922

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Giuliobigazzi said:

Does all his equipment actually still exsist as a collection?

He donated cameras and lenses to many of his colleagues and they have been sold on. I know that his foundation in Paris has his first camera, there are photographs of it on the web. I have not been there so I can’t say what other equipment is on display, but I don’t think all of his cameras and lenses are in one place. 

There are no pictures in the book with ISBN 9781597113922, however there is quite a bit of discussion of his lens choices, for example:

On a story, what equipment do you bring?
HCB: A 35 mm, a 135 mm, and two 50 mm. The Elmar f/3.5 if the weather is good, and I always carry the f/1.5 in case of getting into a dark spot.
Which do you prefer?
HCB: The Elmar f/3.5. It is easier to manage, lighter than the camera. And for the average Leica user, I suggest sticking with that lens.

The 1.5 here is the Nikkor. It is important to note that this was from one moment in his career, later HCB preferred the Summicron Collapsible (v1) and used many others...

• Thanks 1