EDC bag concept

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think that for an everyday carry (EDC) with a compact camera (like a Q) the usual photographic bag conception starts from a incorrect vision: their space is all padded, but in reality the need for the padded space is  for the camera only, the rest should be built as a normal bag. The biggest part of the bag should store mainly other things (wallet,iPad, glasses, spare parts, small clothing and so on). Having all the space padded means heavier bag and less usable space.

Maybe a sling bag with side access to the camera compartment could be a quite good compromise (fast access to the camera is often the difference between a shot and nothing). A bag like this, by the way, could easily be less visible as a photographic bag, helping the security.

I've searched a lot a bag like this (Tamrac, Vanguard, Lowepro, Peak Design, Think Tank, Ona, just to name few), but without success.

Does anyone ever find something which could fit this concept?

Den

• Like 2

You can also turn this padding issue the other way around. I rarely use a photographic bag. I bought myself a leather bag that is not padded. Something similar to this but hand made:

Leather bag

My camera is wrapped, either in a Leica silk bag, or a large lens pouch or possibly a neopreen case. It can store either M9, TL2, X2 and even my SL + smallish zoom R lens. And there is room for some accessories and non-photographic stuff too.

Most of my camera's are used with a half case also. So that goes in the pouch with lens mounted and then in the bag.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

It is not complicated to find a padded case designed for just the specific camera that one uses, and place this smaller case into a larger, unpadded sling bag. Simple cord, or hook-and-loop material, can be used to tether the smaller case. I have padded cases actually made for lenses, that will accommodate an M camera with compact lens affixed, within a larger, unpadded bag. Think Tank makes some really good ones, with the dimensions posted on their web site.

My favored larger sling bag was not made for cameras, but for a “tactical” purpose*, though specifically without having a tactical appearance. The brand is Sneaky Bags, the material is high-quality nylon, sewn with very high-quality thread, and the appearance is that of a classic/vintage canvas shoulder bag, though with modern side-release buckles. I think that is was discontinued because their customer base did not understand its classic design.

Arc’Teryx made an unpadded 15-inch messenger bag that I really like, but its discontinuance, coupled with some influencers hyping them, has caused them to become collectible. I am glad I got mine before the asking prices went crazy.

Every bag I like seems to get discontinued. 

*”Tactical” does not mean that this bag was designed to carry a weapon. The intent was to carry support equipment during disaster/emergency conditions. Once upon a time, before I retired, I was a first responder, so, became acquainted with well-built nylon fabric accessories.

Edited by RexGig0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I too have been through the ongoing search for a nonexistent perfect sling, and I've realized that it really depends on what you want to realistically carry on you as your EDC. There is rarely a one-fit-for-all unfortunately. May I ask what you want to carry in your EDC bag just to gauge the size so I can see if anything comes to mind? For instance, I always carry 2 camera bodies around the size of zv-e1 with small lenses, no ipads of any type, one phone, and one extra battery for each camera which can be substituted for a gopro. I still go for padded bags, but the old peak design 5l and/or onemo sling 6l has been working for me well where the padding isnt too thick and that they still look like smaller bags. You can add more camera dividers for extra padding in some places if desired. Peak design 5l is discontinued, so hopefully less people recognize it.

But yeah, like others have mentioned, you can use any bag and just add your own inserts or padding into them if you want. Really depends on what you want to carry every day and how big of a bag you are okay with. Some slings are longer with less depth while others might have more depth, but not as wide/long

Edited by nariza7

You might consider a backpack for your EDC. I have found the more I carry in a sling or shoulder bag,  the more uncomfortable it is especially on a long walk.  I was hiking in Zion Utah using a Lowepro sling bag with only a camera,  2nd lens, water and snacks, and by the end of the hike my lower back and sides were in a lot of pain.

Now, i prefer going light with a 3-5L camera sling bag for just a compact camera, basic accessories,  sunglasses and cellphone.  My current favorite is the Wotoncraft Pilot 3.5L.  For much more (iPad, snacks, water bottle, light jacket, second camera, etc) I use a small camera backpack or regular backpack with a camera cube.  

Edited by Trankster

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/turnstyle-10-v2

I opted for this sling from ThinkTank after considering designs from Wandrd, Peak Designs and non-photo specific bags from Patagonia, Krumpler and Osprey. Something that doesn’t read as “photo gear” is important as is size for everyday use especially in urban areas, museums, public transport, etc. The Turnstyle 10 allows for a Q3, spare battery + media, a document or small tablet sleeve, a lightweight rain jacket along with its own rain shell and even a small water bottle. 

After extensive research, I am looking at the AER City Sling for my Q3. I have read reviews that say it fits the Q. They have 20% off right now so I am going to order and try it out. I basically am looking for the smallest sling that sits on the body well for walking and hiking etc.

My personal edc one is the cosyspeed camslinger outdoor. I've found that all slings hurt my shoulders after some time or are uncomfortable. The camslinger is pretty much a waist camera bag, but the bag itself hangs from the waist strap instead of being a part of it like most other slings that can be used as a waist bag. Those other slings usually form around my body which I dont like, but this one maintains its boxy shape. I carry a zv-e1+lens and a Q3 in it, along with batteries or a gopro on the sides. I also bought the extension strap in case I want to extend it and use as a shoulder sling.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well, thanks to all for the valuable suggestion.

At the end I follwed the ones by RexGig0 and, above all, Argie Bee: I found that for me the best solution was the Think Tank Turnstyle 20 V2. It's the largest of the sizes, but I need to carry also other things over than the camera (and it's not so much bigger than the 10 version). It is all padded, but this doesn't waste too much space, anyway. Easy to carry and rotate to take the camera, good space for tablet and other things, as well as a very good quality in build and materials. The indigo color and the shape helps not to appear like a photographic bag. A very good compromise IMHO.

Thanks again to all the friend here which helped  me in choosing.

Den

Edited by Denebola

2 hours ago, Denebola said:

Well, thanks to all for the valuable suggestion.

At the end I follwed the ones by RexGig0 and, above all, Argie Bee: I found that for me the best solution was the Think Tank Turnstyle 20 V2. It's the largest of the sizes, but I need to carry also other things over than the camera (and it's not so much bigger than the 10 version). It is all padded, but this doesn't waste too much space, anyway. Easy to carry and rotate to take the camera, good space for tablet and other things, as well as a very good quality in build and materials. The indigo color and the shape helps not to appear like a photographic bag. A very good compromise IMHO.

Thanks again to all the friend here which helped  me in choosing.

Den

I have also been looking at that one, although the Turnstyle 5 v2. I think the smallest is fine for the Q3 + a few knickknacks. Out of interest, did you try/see it ?

Why don't you get a normal bag that you like and for padding use a protective wrap or a small camera insert?

Something like this that you can toss into any backpack or messenger bag or similar.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Well... I'm honestly surprised by the interest that my question raised.

The Turnstyle 5 very probably may well contain the Q3 and some other things, but normally I need to be able to carry more items (EDC, for me, means thet the camera will  not be the biggest thing contained in the bag, hence the choice of the Turnstyle 20).

I often use non photographic rucksacks too, and in that case I carry the camera using a C-Rope neoprene bag (in that case, of course it is much less quick extract the camera than by a sling bag). The protective bag is a very interesting option anyway. I will certainly look into this very promising possibility.

Again thanks for all the suggestions!

Edited by Denebola