So Frustrating!!!

Jammy Dodger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 16 Stunden schrieb marchyman:

My experience would perhaps replace the word "necessary" with "recommended".  I had no issues using a UHS-I card with 2.0.1.

Intersting. I still use my old SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 64GB. I have 2 of those (a spare one in the Leica half case). I belong to the group that has no complaints with reliability of the M11 (no freezing).

I hope I do not shout too loudly: Yesterday I came home with a set of images: About half the images out of about 30 were upside down in Lightroom Classic. I never had that before . . . 🥲. No big issue but a clear bug.

8 minutes ago, Franka373 said:

Do you format in camera after SD card formatter or only SD?

I always format my memory cards with SD Card Formatter before inserting them in any camera. I may also format in camera depending upon circumstances. Typically i will do it in the M11 when i format the internal memory as well.

18 hours ago, M11 for me said:

I hope I do not shout too loudly: Yesterday I came home with a set of images: About half the images out of about 30 were upside down in Lightroom Classic. I never had that before . . . 🥲. No big issue but a clear bug.

on another thread I listed all a lot of my qualms with the M11 but I totally forgot about this one. This happened to me too! just about the entire LR import was upside down. 

*FTR I format in-camera and use a San Disk UHS-II 128GB card. 

Edited by mattcheol

On 11/11/2023 at 12:56 PM, Al Brown said:

Saying "my M11 does not freeze", "reformat your cards" and "are you sure it is the camera" (lol) is really really really not helpful, gentlemen.

This. Some folks, myself included, get freezes even when running with no SD card at all. Additionally, even if the "fix" were to format the card using some specific card formatting software, that's on Leica and is still a real problem. At this price point the device shouldn't be sensitive to some arcane formatting (not to mention the fallacy of asserting that all formatting tools, including the one _on the camera_ are doing something wrong, except this one).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 12:04 PM, M11 for me said:

Yesterday I came home with a set of images: About half the images out of about 30 were upside down in Lightroom Classic. I never had that before . . . 🥲. No big issue but a clear bug.

About a year ago, I test-drove an M11 from a Leica shop, and half the images were upside down in LR. The shop assistant was perplexed. After reading the M11 issues here and seeing friends suffer, I am sticking with my MP240. I was planning to skip M10 to M11, but that may be M12 if it works better and is more reliable  - if I live long enough.  

Edited by Ted Lemon

7 hours ago, Leica Filmmatic said:

My M11 running current firmware locked up on me with no sd card in it yesterday.  Only happened once and the camera has been working fine since.  Didn’t have many freezes before 2.01 seems to be happening more frequent now.  Usually when I am moving too fast 

For me FW 1.6.1 was the most stable firmware for my camera. I've had more hangups and bugs with FW 2.0.1 than I've had in a long time! 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb hmzimelka:

For me FW 1.6.1 was the most stable firmware for my camera. I've had more hangups and bugs with FW 2.0.1 than I've had in a long time! 

I have two M11 cameras, both work flawlessly, both on FW 1.6.1. 

I will be careful not to ever update the firmware again, until it has proven itself a thousand times over.

11 hours ago, Ted Lemon said:

About a year ago, I test-drove an M11 from a Leica shop, and half the images were upside down in LR. The shop assistant was perplexed. After reading the M11 issues here and seeing friends suffer, I am sticking with my MP240. I was planning to skip M10 to M11, but that may be M12 if it works better and is more reliable  - if I live long enough. 

Edited by dugby
Deet

12 minutes ago, jakontil said:

One of the reason im still sticking with 1.6.1 

I hesitated too but the appeal of the center frame option of firmware 2.0.1 was too strong. Glad i did the move as i have no freezes and the wandering focus point of firmware 1.6.1 was painful.

31 minutes ago, lct said:

I hesitated too but the appeal of the center frame option of firmware 2.0.1 was too strong. Glad i did the move as i have no freezes and the wandering focus point of firmware 1.6.1 was painful.

hi Ict, glad it's fine.. im sure the latest firmware improved in many ways, but im too comfortable right now with 1.6.1 but very honest opinion, I ain't just got the time to upgrade yet and nothing attractive to my usage to push just yet 

u know, I never feel the M11 as reliable as it is now since owning it back in early 2022, not that mine freezes on regular basis, but im glad we are here finally

• Like 1

Firmware is an evolving organism.  All firmware has bugs (hopefully not many), and bugs get fixed only on the most recently released "stable" version of the firmware.  Asking a small team of developers to look at anything other than the version they have just shipped (so that they can put the fixes into the one they are now working on) is a lost cause.  Right now, the M11++ team would probably rather concentrate on all the wonderful functions that they can offer on the M12 in two years than fixing our pesky little bugs.

Perhaps we can help by trying to group the problems into as few categories as possible.  There are two sets of contexts:  when did it happen (e.g. shooting fast, right at power-on or while jumping rapidly from review to shooting), and what it did (e.g. freeze, but recover with a quick power off or battery-pop;).  I think we need to specify both if possible.  For example, having a series of shots emerge upside down in your editor of choice.  I haven't seen this in 2.0.1 but did see it once in 1.6.1.  It has happened to others and apparently still happens.  Was it triggered by a hasty shot, or occur with no change in the flow of the shoot?  Was it right at startup?  Did it end with a brief power-off (mine with 1.6.1 did) or did it stop with merely a pause between shots? 

Clarifying when our bugs occur is getting harder because the Arm processor in the so-called "Maestro" chip is doing half a dozen different threads at the same time.  For the best performance, this kind of software should stop and check if everything is ready only at the most critical times (like before it takes a picture).  And if a "my part is finished" signal gets lost, we have freezes.  If we all used the same SD card (SanDisk 128GB USB II, anyone?), life would be simpler, but I guess this must also be reported.

Bugs that fall into a clear category and are reported by multiple users tend to get fixed.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see a couple of newbie errors here..

1. settings will get lost if you do not save them in a user profile

2. with Leica you are expected to understand exposure - the camera will not think for you. 

3. freezes - yes, but they can be mitigated - see the relevant threads and they will be sorted.

Leica M is not a run-of-the mill digital camera . It is a 1950-ies analog manual camera that has been adapted to digital. Japanese brands are computers that have been adapted to talking photographs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

Leica M is not a run-of-the mill digital camera . It is a 1950-ies analog manual camera that has been adapted to digital. Japanese brands are computers that have been adapted to talking photographs.

I agree.  I still have and love my M2, purchased not-new at Willoughby's in 1969 for a great price (because, I learned much later, it had spent some time under water).

I think the "Das Wesentlich" theme (or fetish) is a good thing, leading to three product lines with an amazing amount of common control philosophy and structure.  Little computers find that very hard to do.  Shifting between Leica's product lines and models is fairly easy.  A lot happens in the first three seconds after the current cameras are powered on, or asked to wake up from a standby state.  I found with 1.6 firmware that shooting in the first half second after power-on could cause a freeze, but that is fixed now in 2.0.n.  Funny stuff can still happen in the first three seconds sometimes, so I don't turn my M11 off when I am about.  I give it a friendly half-squeeze every now and then when it might need to stay alert.  And sharing information about what you were doing just before something bad happens can help to resolve these problems.

• Like 3