SL2-S USER PROFILE FRUSTRATIONS

Emil Bosch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, All

I bought a Leica SL2-S in October last year (2022).  As I use the camera commercially, I often have to change settings from a studio shoot to an outdoor shoot.  

This is where the User Profile option (theoretically) come in handy, as I should be able to switch between my studio settings and outdoor settings (ISO, shutter speed and aperture) quite quickly.  I say "theoretically", because in practice I cannot get this to work.  

I have unsuccessfully tried to program my camera for a particular indoor setting, have named it "Studio" (Profile 1) and then proceeded to program a setting for an e.g. morning wedding.  Although I have followed the instructions of TWO able YouTubers, the camera only stores the two different ISO settings of these two Profiles.  

Allow me to explain: an Aperture setting of, e.g. f2.8, Shutter Speed setting of 1/250 and ISO of 100 for Outdoor Shooting, as well as an Aperture of f8, Shutter Speed of 1/200 and ISO of 400 for an Indoor Shoot (supported by strobe lighting); both saved as User Profiles 1 (Studio) and 2 (Outdoor), would result in the following:  The Studio setting may remain constant, although the Outdoor setting would retain its ISO setting (100), but the Aperture of f8 and Shutter Speed of 1/200 would be that of the Studio setting.  

The only variable "allowed" seems to be the ISO.  My predetermined f-stop and Shutter Speed for the Indoor Shoot would remain the same for both the Indoor and Outdoor Shoot.

The You Tube videos show that these settings change according to the required predetermined settings.  I am unable to have them stay what I have dialled in.

Please help!

Don't forget to save your various user profilebefore moving on to the next.

1. Set your camera completely to your wishes.

2. Go to menu user profiles, go to save profile, go to save as (user1, user2, dedicated name etc.)

3. save.

4. set your camera to other preferred settings, go to user profile menu and save this to the next position.

5. After you have created and saved  all user profiles, you can go to rename profiles and rename them, if desired. 

In general, do not use mostly clueless vloggers for instructions. Use either reputed ones or, even better, use the manual that Leica thoughtfully provided online.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Don't forget to save your various user profilebefore moving on to the next.

1. Set your camera completely to your wishes.

2. Go to menu user profiles, go to save profile, go to save as (user1, user2, dedicated name etc.)

3. save.

4. set your camera to other preferred settings, go to user profile menu and save this to the next position.

5. After you have created and saved  all user profiles, you can go to rename profiles and rename them, if desired. 

In general, do not use mostly clueless vloggers for instructions. Use either reputed ones or, even better, use the manual that Leica thoughtfully provided online.

This is exactly as it should work and as it works for me. 

@Emil Bosch: I suggest to do a full reset of your camera and try again as described by @jaapv. Maybe a menu-setting is interfering with saving profiles.

• Like 1

It sounds like you are setting M (manual) mode for both, and switching between them as adjacent profiles?

It's probably no help to you, but only one of my profiles uses manual mode (film scanning); they are either A (my default) or S (shots with rapid movement, or shots using strobes). The only one where I care what shutter or aperture values are set is for strobe, where I want 1/200 or faster (and ISO 100): in S mode the shutter speed of 1/200 is always retained.  With all my other profiles, I am not expecting a specific shutter speed or aperture, so I haven't looked to see if it is retained.  

In playing with the camera just now, I changed profiles from the graphical quick menu. I was surprised to see that the parameters in the menu changed, not when you selected a profile, but as you cycled through the list. It doesn't cause me a problem, but I would have expected them to change only when you selected a profile. This does mean, though, that switching between profiles typically means changes between A, S and M, so I can't easily see when parameter values are retained or not.

I regret that, as I don't want to mess up my profiles(!), I can't reproduce the behaviour you find.

Edit.

Some of what I wrote above I see is incorrect, and I can reproduce your issues: in my Copy Film (M) profile, if I set a slow shutter speed (1/60), then that is retained if I switch to my Flash (S) profile. The shutter speed for flash (1/200) is not stored in the profile. So, yes, I can reproduce your issue, and it looks like shutter speed and aperture are not parameters that form part of the profile.

I can understand why Leica has chosen to do that, but I can also understand that some people, like you, would want it otherwise. TBH it does not worry me, as I usually check my shooting parameters after switching profiles anyway.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

It sounds like you are setting M (manual) mode for both, and switching between them as adjacent profiles?

It's probably no help to you, but only one of my profiles uses manual mode (film scanning); they are either A (my default) or S (shots with rapid movement, or shots using strobes). The only one where I care what shutter or aperture values are set is for strobe, where I want 1/200 or faster (and ISO 100): in S mode the shutter speed of 1/200 is always retained.  With all my other profiles, I am not expecting a specific shutter speed or aperture, so I haven't looked to see if it is retained.  

In playing with the camera just now, I changed profiles from the graphical quick menu. I was surprised to see that the parameters in the menu changed, not when you selected a profile, but as you cycled through the list. It doesn't cause me a problem, but I would have expected them to change only when you selected a profile. This does mean, though, that switching between profiles typically means changes between A, S and M, so I can't easily see when parameter values are retained or not.

I regret that, as I don't want to mess up my profiles(!), I can't reproduce the behaviour you find.

Edit.

Some of what I wrote above I see is incorrect, and I can reproduce your issues: in my Copy Film (M) profile, if I set a slow shutter speed (1/60), then that is retained if I switch to my Flash (S) profile. The shutter speed for flash (1/200) is not stored in the profile. So, yes, I can reproduce your issue, and it looks like shutter speed and aperture are not parameters that form part of the profile.

I can understand why Leica has chosen to do that, but I can also understand that some people, like you, would want it otherwise. TBH it does not worry me, as I usually check my shooting parameters after switching profiles anyway.

Thank you for your reply, LocalHero1953

Your reply made me feel a little less helpless.

The camera (and lens!) blow me away.  Hopefully I'm allowed (moderator?) to post one or two examples of what it delivers (and no sharpening needed either!)  All web-sized images.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't know whether you've noticed or not, but if you change any parameter in a profile other than the primary one for the mode your profile uses (shutter speed for "S," and aperture for "A"), then the camera stops applying the profile you previously selected.  The result for me is that if I'm using a profle set in S mode, change a parameter (thus deactivating the profile), then subsequently activate a second profile set in S mode, the camera retains whatever shutter speed I was using in the deactivated profile setting rather than the shutter speed that I had pre-selected for the second S mode profile.  Can't figure out the logic of it, I've just learned to live with it.

After using profiles on an EOS R5, which gives the user the option of having the camera automatically update the profile (rather than deactivating it!) whenever a parmeter is changed, it took me a while to figure out how the SL2/SL2-S profiles work.

On the bright side, the frustrations you've experienced appear to have had no adverse effect on your ability to turn out great images!

6 hours ago, tritentrue said:

I don't know whether you've noticed or not, but if you change any parameter in a profile other than the primary one for the mode your profile uses (shutter speed for "S," and aperture for "A"), then the camera stops applying the profile you previously selected.  The result for me is that if I'm using a profle set in S mode, change a parameter (thus deactivating the profile), then subsequently activate a second profile set in S mode, the camera retains whatever shutter speed I was using in the deactivated profile setting rather than the shutter speed that I had pre-selected for the second S mode profile.  Can't figure out the logic of it, I've just learned to live with it.

After using profiles on an EOS R5, which gives the user the option of having the camera automatically update the profile (rather than deactivating it!) whenever a parmeter is changed, it took me a while to figure out how the SL2/SL2-S profiles work.

On the bright side, the frustrations you've experienced appear to have had no adverse effect on your ability to turn out great images!

Thank you, tritentrue!  Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, algrove said:

This issue sounds like what I am experiencing with my M11 now even after the latest FW update 2.0.1. A few weeks ago I got all my user profiles to work on my SL2S.

Gosh, algrove, I really hope I get to that point.  When I do, I'll be sure to let all who participated in this post know.

Now I am reluctant to even explore user profiles on my SL2S since the last time they worked OK. What are we doing wrong here with profiles? The only profile that seems to work on my M11 is the default one. Even when I make another profile "active" and change the settings and then save those setting to that active profile they do not take. I just get the head and shoulders image again!!

Edited by algrove
  • Haha 1

I don't see any great mystery here. Profiles do not store aperture and shutter speed - that's all. Exactly the same as M240, CL and Q2 in my experience (I can't answer for the M10, M11). 

This may not be what some people may (reasonably) want, but it is how it is.

With this proviso profiles seem to work exactly as I expect them.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I don't see any great mystery here. Profiles do not store aperture and shutter speed - that's all. Exactly the same as M240, CL and Q2 in my experience (I can't answer for the M10, M11). 

This may not be what some people may (reasonably) want, but it is how it is.

With this proviso profiles seem to work exactly as I expect them.

Fair enough that Leica chose to do it that way.  But it would be more practical if, for instance, when going from one S mode profile to another S mode profile, the camera would change to the user-selected speed in the selected S mode profile.  It doesn't do that. I've learned to watch for it when switching to a profile where I've set a higher shutter speed.  

Maybe it's not an issue for users who use really simple, more generalized profiles.  But, unwatched, it can negatively an image or two before it's caught.  Maybe Canikonympusonic don't have this issue because they use mode dials to set profles.  As I wrote previously, I've learned to live with it.

• 2 months later...

I'm relatively new to Leica so I wonder what might explain my experience of my SL2S repeatedly changing my focus point from the center to the bottom right corner; and apparently also changing my ISO and color settings among other things such as EVF and light metering settings. 

I find this to be quite annoying and FRUSTRATING - especially as my photography practice includes capturing candid intimate moments, and fleeting moments of street scene photography - so having to fidget with checking and changing settings isn't a good thing for me. 

Considering the similar experiences that other users have shared here, gives me reason to think that a relatively simple update to user options under the operating system software might resolve this - and I wonder if this might be available now, or in the near future.