To M11-P, or not to M11-P…That is the Question

maidenfan84

4 hours ago, setuporg said:

35 APO feels native on it

True! I find the M10-R with the APO 35 a bit heavy, it’s hard to get used to that and the M11 somehow works faster, more intuitive and lies better in my hand.

And now: your colors! 😄😉

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:07 AM, Al Brown said:

I beg to differ. People just have no clue how to expose properly. No clipping apparent or expected when properly exposed with my M10-P...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Now this is a print I'd frame.:). Sell it Al:)

Edited by setuporg
  • Thanks 2

I really wrestled back and forth with which camera to get. I had both in the checkout bin and in the end I decided to go with the M10. For my uses (casual day to day document my life and everything around it, one camera one lens, etc) I felt it was the better choice at half of the price of a new M11-P. The M11-P is a gorgeous camera for sure, there’s always a chance down the road of adding it to the collection. I appreciate everyone’s advice and insight, I learned a lot! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, maidenfan84 said:

I really wrestled back and forth with which camera to get. I had both in the checkout bin and in the end I decided to go with the M10. For my uses (casual day to day document my life and everything around it, one camera one lens, etc) I felt it was the better choice at half of the price of a new M11-P. The M11-P is a gorgeous camera for sure, there’s always a chance down the road of adding it to the collection. I appreciate everyone’s advice and insight, I learned a lot! 

Congratulations and enjoy the new camera ! 

• Like 2

A rocket blower is my most common method of cleaning the eyepiece.  I've probably wiped it down with a lens cloth once or twice, too.   In the 8 years I owned an M 262 I also used a lenspen with a very small tip a few times.  Haven't needed to use that on my M11 (yet?).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, maidenfan84 said:

Thank you! Just a general note of maintenance and care for the M series cameras, what’s the best way to clean the eyepiece glass and the front windows? Is a simple clean microfiber okay to use on the glass you put your eye up to?

Yes, microfiber cloth.  Always at hand when I’m using any M.  And try to keep fingers off front windows.

Jeff

• Like 2

21 hours ago, maidenfan84 said:

Thank you! Just a general note of maintenance and care for the M series cameras, what’s the best way to clean the eyepiece glass and the front windows? Is a simple clean microfiber okay to use on the glass you put your eye up to?

Whatever shirt I'm wearing at the moment has always worked for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Got the M11-P with a humble lens (no more moolah left for lens after purchase of camera 😅)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know this may also apply to M11 as well, but has anyone noticed that in live view, even when one did not turn the focusing ring, at around f5.6 on my 28 Summaron the whole scene is full of red focus peaking spots? On one hand I’m glad to know that the whole scene is in focus, while on the other hand I find the red/or blue or white spots obstructive to my shooting from the LCD. Has anyone encountered this?

1 hour ago, bernstein1234 said:

I know this may also apply to M11 as well, but has anyone noticed that in live view, even when one did not turn the focusing ring, at around f5.6 on my 28 Summaron the whole scene is full of red focus peaking spots? On one hand I’m glad to know that the whole scene is in focus, while on the other hand I find the red/or blue or white spots obstructive to my shooting from the LCD. Has anyone encountered this?

That's why god (Leica) invented the mechanical rangefinder.

5 hours ago, bernstein1234 said:

You can switch that off in the menu. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bernstein1234 said:

On one hand I’m glad to know that the whole scene is in focus

You probably know this, but be careful not to interpret this as necessarily meaning everything in focus - just that the threshold edge contrast is exceeded in many places. Turning the focus is likely to result in the focus peaking indications in some parts of the frame increasing in size, indicating that sharpest focus is migrating to those zones.

On 11/23/2023 at 5:34 AM, sinjun said:

You probably know this, but be careful not to interpret this as necessarily meaning everything in focus - just that the threshold edge contrast is exceeded in many places. Turning the focus is likely to result in the focus peaking indications in some parts of the frame increasing in size, indicating that sharpest focus is migrating to those zones.

I will turn off focus peaking and try and see if zoom focusing without color aids is better for me. Thank you for taking time to provide valuable and constructive feedback :)

14 hours ago, bernstein1234 said:

I will turn off focus peaking and try and see if zoom focusing without color aids is better for me.

In general, the wider the lens, the less useful the EVF is and the more the rangefinder comes into its own - I'd say that holds for a lens such as the 28mm Summaron. Also, other than for close subjects, zone focussing works well -  with the caveat that the depth of field indicators marked on the lens are too generous for critical focus and you might want to work on the principle that e.g. for f8, markings for f5.6 are more appropriate.

• Like 2