Leica M11 Monochrom Continuous shooting causes black screen on live view and shots

MonochromManila

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased my Leica M11 Monochrom in July of this year. I have updated it to the latest 2.0.1 firmware. The lens attached 100 percent of the time is the LLL 50 F2.0 ELCAN and it saves files to a UHSII 300MB/s Sandisk 128gb SD card.

Recently while shooting continous low or high, after a certain amount of bursts, I see a partial or full screen black areas that appear on live view and in the DNG files.

What could be the cause of this?

I aim currently on holiday in Japan and am looking to have it serviced at their Ginza service center. They claim to be able to repair by replacing my shutter but will take three weeks.

I would have to fly back into tokyo in three weeks time if what they say is true.

Can I take their word for it that it will only take three weeks?

I eagerly await your helpful comments and suggestions

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MonochromManila
  • Like 1

I’ve been more closely looking at the freezes I get since upgrading the firmware.  They are preceded by LV turning black, although shutter release still works.  Then LV is restored, menus etc work, play doesn't and  shutter release stops  working. Switch off locks on red border/rotating circle needing battery removal.  Happens roughly every 100-200 frames or so, not necessarily a regular interval but much more frequent than pre-update.  SD card options ruled out.  Have sent details to Leica. 

Don’t know if its related to your issue.  Seems really bad if a firmware upgrade would necessitate physically  sending the camera to be fixed  - hope they come up with a f/w fix…

• Like 1

Have now tried my M11M and it failed on first shots. EVF went black, shutter release appeared to capture 2x3 (exposure comp) images, EVF then stuck as picture below.

Play button displayed screen as below but scrolls through 6 frame numbers. Couldn’t connect to Fotos to see if frames recorded.

Trying to turn off stuck on the spinning circle. On removing battery and restarting it says no images to play.

So both M11 and M11M have new problems since the firmware update. Leica support investigating the first and I have reported the second. 

It’s very disappointing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!