Late to the 50 Summilux-SL Party

Luke_Miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the acquisition of the 35 and 75 APO Summicron-SL lenses I thought I didn't need a 50mm prime.  But quickly found I missed that focal length. Located a used but like-new Summilux-SL for an attractive price and got to shoot with it this past weekend.  It was a crowded event and I shot at f2 and f1.4 to separate the subject from the others in the crowd.  The SL2 nailed focus every time and even at f1.4 the images were beautifully sharp at the point of focus.  With my DSLRs autofocus at f1.4 could be a bit imprecise, so I rarely shot wide open with my fast lenses. On the SL2 the Summilux is amazing, and I think my money was well spent.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It’s the rendering of the Summilux SL that distinguishes it from the crowd.  It’s heavier than the Summicron and not quite as good technically as the Panasonic but for pictures with a signature that is distinctive, it’s the business.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jrp said:

It’s the rendering of the Summilux SL that distinguishes it from the crowd.  It’s heavier than the Summicron and not quite as good technically as the Panasonic but for pictures with a signature that is distinctive, it’s the business.

Do you have any sources on the technical performance of the Summilux SL being "not as good as the Panasonic"? Is this your personal experience? Lloyd Chambers has a lot to say on this: https://diglloyd.com/prem/s/LMOUNT/LeicaSL/LeicaSL-50f1_4-compare-PanasonicL50f1_4-PanasonicL24_105f4-mosaic.html?dglyPT=true

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did look into it when these lenses were being released but cannot remember where. I don’t think that the difference is noticeable other than it pixel peeping distances, wide open. The way that the lenses draw is a much bigger discriminating factor. I don’t know what LC concludes, but in my experience he is extremely unlucky and his pics don’t always illustrate what he says he sees. 

6 minutes ago, randman said:

If someone did not know any better, they would be discouraged from this lens reading about weight online.  I use mine for events and love the extra steps and rendering for night shots. 

There are times, like when I travel, that weight becomes a major consideration, but not at events.  At events I'm so concentrated on getting the shot that I am oblivious to the weight of my equipment.  Even the weight of the 90-280 is unnoticeable.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I had the original SL the only lens I used was the 50 Lux SL.  The APO 50 is sharper (although it tightens up at f/2) but the rendering of the 50 Lux is special.  I also have the 35APO SL, 50 APO SL and 75 APO SL, but I could honestly shoot 90% of everything I use the SL2-S for with the 50 Lux.  Great lens.  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have the 35, 75 and 90 Apo-Summicron- SL lenses, but often use the Summilux-M 75 for portraits. Great though they are I would happily trade one or the other (not both!) of the 75SL or 90SL for a Summilux-SL equivalent with the same rendering as the Summilux-M 75. Can anyone with both the Summilux-M 75 and Summilux-SL 50 compare them? And with the Apo-Summicron-SL 75?

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 12/25/2023 at 3:06 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I have the 35, 75 and 90 Apo-Summicron- SL lenses, but often use the Summilux-M 75 for portraits. Great though they are I would happily trade one or the other (not both!) of the 75SL or 90SL for a Summilux-SL equivalent with the same rendering as the Summilux-M 75. Can anyone with both the Summilux-M 75 and Summilux-SL 50 compare them? And with the Apo-Summicron-SL 75?

I own both the ‘lux SL 50 and the Summilux-M 75, though I never made any direct comparison.

I would say the Summilux-M 75 has a unique OOF rendering with is creamy bokeh, and a smooth / progressive transition from in-focus to out of focus.

The SL 50 has however a  kind of « douceur » in its rendering as well and a nice, soft bokeh, with a very sharp in-focus zone. Reflecting on it, I would say the biggest difference is in the transition from in- to out- of focus areas: the SL is way more ‘modern’ in this respect.

I tried the SL-75 for a week-end only. I made a couple of great shots with it, as it is very sharp, but I remember its bokeh could be a little bit nervous. The SL-50 is much more usable from this point of view.

Didier

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, didier said:

I own both the ‘lux SL 50 and the Summilux-M 75, though I never made any direct comparison.

I would say the Summilux-M 75 has a unique OOF rendering with is creamy bokeh, and a smooth / progressive transition from in-focus to out of focus.

The SL 50 has however a  kind of « douceur » in its rendering as well and a nice, soft bokeh, with a very sharp in-focus zone. Reflecting on it, I would say the biggest difference is in the transition from in- to out- of focus areas: the SL is way more ‘modern’ in this respect.

I tried the SL-75 for a week-end only. I made a couple of great shots with it, as it is very sharp, but I remember its bokeh could be a little bit nervous. The SL-50 is much more usable from this point of view.

Didier

Thank you! I shall have to take myself to a shop where they have a Summilux-SL 50 to try.

• Like 2

At 50mm. there is really nothing else quite like it 😀

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Planetwide
  • Like 12

The 75mm SL Summicron is just as beautiful!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11