Leica M11-P: New Flagship With Content Authentication

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It probably doesn't move the needle past copyright proof by showing your original RAW file with corresponding EXIF data no matter how much you PP'd it to your own liking of your own image file. On top of this, that is why the US copyright office has millions of RAW images officially sent to them.

I think the Content Authentication feature is important and hope it will make its way to many other cameras including phone cameras. Signing the metadata and a hash of the original photo with a hardware-protected private key is something I can see be incredibly important in the future. 

At the same time, I just watched a YouTube reviewer of the M11-P groan about a 3.5s startup time. As forward-thinking as being the first camera to implement the Content Authentication feature, it's inexcusable the same camera has one of the longest if not longest startup time of any digital camera made within the last decade.

20 minutes ago, mosh1 said:

I think the Content Authentication feature is important and hope it will make its way to many other cameras including phone cameras. Signing the metadata and a hash of the original photo with a hardware-protected private key is something I can see be incredibly important in the future. 

At the same time, I just watched a YouTube reviewer of the M11-P groan about a 3.5s startup time. As forward-thinking as being the first camera to implement the Content Authentication feature, it's inexcusable the same camera has one of the longest if not longest startup time of any digital camera made within the last decade.

Lol exactly my point. Let’s focus on the issues that matter today. Not what will matter 5 years from now when you take the decisive moments. 

14 hours ago, Anbaric said:

If this catches on I would bet it gets added to smartphones, which of course already have GPS and biometrics, so you could in principle show it was you who unlocked the phone 5 seconds before the image was captured at the depicted event. It won't make that crappy phone footage any better though! In 'authenticated journalism' mode, the camera should refuse to operate unless the phone is rotated into landscape orientation. 🙂

The product manager interviewed in Hugh Brownstone's video said that Twitter (rebranded as X) was a participant in the Content Authentication Initiative, so there probably is some thought towards smartphones. That might have started under the former management, don't know if it's a priority for the current crowd. It would certainly shortcut a lot of the geolocation that has to be done by news orgs of the random Twit footage coursing through the Interwebs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, elmars said:

Startup time is way too slow since the M240. But the M11 has enough battery power to set auto power of to 30 or 60 min. 

That is only delaying the problem.

One can only wonder why startup takes so much longer compared to some of the "competition". A Nikon Z8 for example starts up instantaneously. Is it last on the feature list at Leica, or is there a technical limitation (no room for additional electronics)? Personally, I prefer instantaneous startup over IBIS... 😀

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

The content authentication function on the M11-P is Leica’s answer to Breitling’s Personal Locator Beacon. Useful in maybe 20 cases around the globe but otherwise just a heavy marketing tool for the potential Bear Gryllses of photojournalism.

I recall the top gear group receiving an alert that their partner Richard Hammond - using the locator antenna function on his Breitling Emergency watch - was stuck on the top of some mountain, and immediate rescue was required...

8 minutes ago, jeri said:

I recall the top gear group receiving an alert that their partner Richard Hammond - using the locator antenna function on his Breitling Emergency watch - was stuck on the top of some mountain, and immediate rescue was required...

If you’re going on such adventures take a PROPER PLB, not a watch ffs. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, MattMaber said:

If you’re going on such adventures take a PROPER PLB, not a watch ffs. 

Well, hunter Mark Spencer who was rescued from hypothermia in Alaska and Quentin Smith after his helicopter traversing Drake Passage was dashed into the sea were both let down by their dedicated PLB. Spencer’s pinpointed him some four miles away and Smith’s sank to the bottom of the ocean They were both within the 20 or so I mentioned  saved by their Breitling PLB.

17 minutes ago, M9reno said:

If I use an M11-P to take a photograph of a screen or a print with an AI-generated image will it make the image authentic?

Of course it will. You will have an authentic image of a print with an AI-generated image. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, mosh1 said:

You just saved me $9200. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, M9reno said:

If I use an M11-P to take a photograph of a screen or a print with an AI-generated image will it make the image authentic?

Yes, it will be an authentic image taken of the screen or the print. It could also be an authentic image of a staged scene. CAI does not authenticate the contents of an image, it only verifies that the image has been taken with a specific camera, and tracks any edits done in post.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2023 at 7:09 PM, dkmoore said:

This entire thread should be deleted. Typical board rich men bickering over copyright protection that will never apply because most of our photos aren’t good enough to matter. 

The thread is the first CAI-enabled one so cannot be deleted.  Also who are the "board rich men"?  Are they rich as a ... board?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, setuporg said:

The thread is the first CAI-enabled one so cannot be deleted.  Also who are the "board rich men"?  Are they rich as a ... board?

I think most of us are familiar with how" auto correct" can make stupid grammatical and spelling errors. I'm pretty sure Dustin knows the difference between bored and board. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Soon content authentication will be integrated with AI. 

- Horrible shot. Auto deleted.  
- Irredeemable in post. Auto deleted.
- Morality violation. Auto reported to authorities and spouse. 
- You don’t deserve this camera. Auto posted on eBay. 

• Haha 11