Checked out a Q3

16 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

No contest! So why did Leica introduce these ports on the Q, delete them on the Q2, and bring them back on the Q3? Baffling?

Perhaps they felt they were a cause of the dust on sensor issues on the Q??

I just assumed the Q2 had them.

Edited by bobtodrick

On 10/24/2023 at 12:17 AM, bobtodrick said:

I know a lot of people like them, but the tilt screen is a deal breaker for me.

I’ll keep my ‘old’ Q.

I o only make 16x20” prints and 24mp easily does that .

I can’t believe the number of people who must be making billboard sized prints who ‘need’ 60+Mp 😂😂

I'm v impressed with my silver original Q. The build isn't as rugged as the Q2, especially the buttons and it's very light, it reminds me of a camera shaped tin I saw in a garden centre but its image quality is gorgeous.

I will admit that based on my fooling around with the Q3 the other day, if the Q3 had internal storage (like the M11), that plus the other things I liked - cable connections and (I suppose I'd grow to like) 60MP, it might have made me a potential buyer...

OTOH, I realize that internal memory may be no big deal if you have never been out with your digital camera and discovered you left the SD card at home .. 😉

Edited by Mikep996

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Mikep996:

OTOH, I realize that internal memory may be no big deal if you have never been out with your digital camera and discovered you left the SD card at home .. 😉

who doesn't? :D 

I would have loved to have internal memory in the Q3, but I work with what I have. 

There’s one thing you probably didn’t get to see while handling the Q3.  The low light performance is better.  If you don’t do a lot of low light photography this isn’t an issue, but I shoot around 75% of the time in low light.  With the Q2 I was unhappy with the noise at 3200 and above.  If the Q3 was available at the time of the Q2s release I would have grabbed it over the Q2 for that reason alone.  With the current advances in AI noise reduction the gap closes, but I still prefer cleaner images out of the camera. 

• Like 3

On 10/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, Derbyshire Man said:

I suspect I'd upgrade to a Q3M as I do like flippy screens, charging connection and you can never have too much low light performance, but as per usual only second hand so that will be many years away!

I had the Q2M and a full set of colored filters for it.  I loved the low light performance.  The Q3 is good, but it still won't be better than the monochrom version of the same sensor.  After shooting the monochrom, though, I realized that I like to edit my black and white images for effect by using the color grading sliders in light room.  It's a tradeoff and once you know the way you like to process there isn't a bad choice, the monochrome conversions using the Q3 are very good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr. G said:

I had the Q2M and a full set of colored filters for it.  I loved the low light performance.  The Q3 is good, but it still won't be better than the monochrom version of the same sensor.  After shooting the monochrom, though, I realized that I like to edit my black and white images for effect by using the color grading sliders in light room.  It's a tradeoff and once you know the way you like to process there isn't a bad choice, the monochrome conversions using the Q3 are very good.

Have you ever applied AI coloring filters over your b&w shots? Me, I was impressed how realistically Adobe Photoshop does that.

On 10/26/2023 at 5:06 AM, Mikep996 said:

I will admit that based on my fooling around with the Q3 the other day, if the Q3 had internal storage (like the M11), that plus the other things I liked - cable connections and (I suppose I'd grow to like) 60MP, it might have made me a potential buyer...

At least with Q cameras it cannot happen what happened to a fellow photographer: after a long drive to the photo location, he noticed that he left the camera body in the hotel and had only lenses in his backpack.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

I believe that the ports on the original Q were left off the Q2 to improve weather sealing so it could get a higher IP rating.

That’s seems sloppy. Other camera manufacturers already had ports and weather sealing. All Leica had to do was tear down another camera and see how it was done, and implement.

3 hours ago, Le Chef said:

That’s seems sloppy. Other camera manufacturers already had ports and weather sealing. All Leica had to do was tear down another camera and see how it was done, and implement.

Before judging Leica, note that @lanetomlane was only speculating on the reasons. It may not have been the reason.