Checked out a Q3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I looked at/handled a Q3 yesterday in London, had my Q2 with me.  I found that the tilting rear screen, which in pics seemed a bit bulky/unsightly, was essentially unnoticeable.  I like the cable connections as well.  I came away thinking that it was a nice improvement on the Q2 though it doesn't offer anything that I have any need for over the Q2.  But if I didn't own a Q series and was wanting to buy one,  I would definitely buy the Q3 rather than a used Q2.  If I had to pick the 'best' item of improvement for me, it would probably be the cable connections.  But again, that's not enough to make it worth buying.  I don't care about the tilt screen at all; 60mP is good but I've never found 47 to be lacking.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

I looked at/handled a Q3 yesterday in London, had my Q2 with me.  I found that the tilting rear screen, which in pics seemed a bit bulky/unsightly, was essentially unnoticeable.  I like the cable connections as well.  I came away thinking that it was a nice improvement on the Q2 though it doesn't offer anything that I have any need for over the Q2.  But if I didn't own a Q series and was wanting to buy one,  I would definitely buy the Q3 rather than a used Q2.  If I had to pick the 'best' item of improvement for me, it would probably be the cable connections.  But again, that's not enough to make it worth buying.  I don't care about the tilt screen at all; 60mP is good but I've never found 47 to be lacking.

I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. I don't care for the tilt screen myself. 

49 minutes ago, Ivan M said:

I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. I don't care for the tilt screen myself. 

I know a lot of people like them, but the tilt screen is a deal breaker for me.

I’ll keep my ‘old’ Q.

I o only make 16x20” prints and 24mp easily does that .

I can’t believe the number of people who must be making billboard sized prints who ‘need’ 60+Mp 😂😂

Edited by bobtodrick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

I’ll keep my ‘old’ Q.

I can’t believe the number of people who must be making billboard sized prints who ‘need’ 60+Mp 😂😂

Yes but the increased dynamic range - 15 stops - with 36mp resolution when pixel binding  looks very nice. Additionally the iso-invariance looks convenient. Mathphotograph’s YouTube video here is interesting. I’m tempted but not enough to order one - yet.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, bobtodrick said:

I’ll keep my ‘old’ Q.

The point of the high megapixel count is not making huge prints ( you don’t need that unless you view billboards from 50 cm distance) but having enough pixels at longer focal length simulations-which is the intended use of the camera. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

The point of the high megapixel count is not making huge prints ( you don’t need that unless you view billboards from 50 cm distance) but having enough pixels at longer focal length simulations-which is the intended use of the camera. 

I know that’s the reasoning, but IMO (and it is just my opinion) if I was doing enough tele work that this became a huge concern I’d probably look at a Fuji or an SL2.

I’m primarily addressing those that get into a ‘horsepower’ war to display their images on Instagram…where their images are likely viewed on a smartphone.

But the Q is meant to be a one lens solution for general work. Not specific wide-angle or moderate tele. Say, travel and street. As such it is unsurpassed. An optical zoom camera lacks the lens speed. Don’t forget that 10 MP is ample for A3+ prints. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:11 AM, Mikep996 said:

If I had to pick the 'best' item of improvement for me, it would probably be the cable connections.  But again, that's not enough to make it worth buying. 

I'm glad you mentioned that.  It caused me to remember that my old Q has cable connections but I had forgotten about them...had to check and sure enough it has  USB and HDMI ports hiding behind a door on the side.  Never used them.🤔

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

But the Q is meant to be a one lens solution for general work. Not specific wide-angle or moderate tele. Say, travel and street. As such it is unsurpassed. An optical zoom camera lacks the lens speed. Don’t forget that 10 MP is ample for A3+ prints. 

I guess I'm just not a believer in the 'one size fits all'.

My wife has a closet full of one size fits all clothes...that don't 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bobtodrick said:

I guess I'm just not a believer in the 'one size fits all'.

My wife has a closet full of one size fits all clothes...that don't 🤣🤣

Sometimes, I find it liberating to shoot with only one prime lens.

X100V, GR III, and Q popularity show that people are willing to trade in flexibility for IQ with convenience.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Sometimes, I find it liberating to shoot with only one prime lens.

X100V, GR III, and Q popularity show that people are willing to trade in flexibility for IQ with convenience.

I agree...and I wouldn't give up my Q.  But I also tailor my shooting to it's strengths.

Years ago I was a working fashion photographer...no way I could have done that with a one lens camera. 

That's all I'm saying...whether it be photography, carpentry, music...you use the tools that are available.

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

Yours must have been unique. I checked a Q I borrowed and my Q2 and neither has any form of cable connectivity.

Items 34 & 35

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

35 34

36a 36

37a 37

39 40 41

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Siriusone59 said:

Items 34 & 35

35 34

36a 36

37a 37

39 40 41

Is this some fantasy Q2?  Mine sure doesn't have ports.  I wouldn't really want an HDMI port anyway but just sayin' - this ain't how a Q2 looks.  :)

Edited by liggy

I have a truly unique Q2 then. It has neither of the ports you show, nor does my instruction manual for the Q2 show any ports either. In Jono's Q3 review he notes "USB-C and Mini HDMI connectors" as new. He also adds "There is a new port on the left hand side of the camera (looking from the back). This contains USB-C port and a mini HDMI connector." 

Neither the Q nor Q2 nor Q2M have these ports in any of the models I have seen.

If your Q or Q2 has these ports please share a photograph of them so we can see what we’re missing.

Edited by Le Chef

I think I'm being trolled on this one....  The drawing is straight out of my "Q" manual, not the "Q2"   These ports existed on the Q but Leica must have removed them (pure speculation) from the Q2 so they could  be re-introduced as a new feature on the Q3.

I kinda like your idea of it being a "unique" sample, would make its value quite high.😀

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

If your Q or Q2 has these ports please share a photograph of them so we can see what we’re missing.

• Thanks 1