SL2, SL2s or M11?

jackieboi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had Leica Q2 and Ricoh GRiiix as a portable. I'd love to have a mirrorless camera to cover my need and pair with my other 2. I've been into photography for a long time, just done candid shots, street photography, mostly for my taste based on what I'm self-taught. I'm not a professional photographer but I've been asked by lots of my friends to do photoshoots, eg portrait, senior pictures, family photo, storytelling events. Hence the need for either M11 or SL2/SL2s. 

I've researched and know the difference in specs, rangefinder vs digital EVF, lens options, etc. SL system seems to be a rational choice. And M11 may be too close to my Q2 (about size, lack of versatility, fixed lenses) and it might not work out well. 

But something about the M11 rangefinder , the feel, the touch (even though I'm not familiar with film camera at all but I figure learning it is enjoyable), about the classic makes me think double. Is choosing m11 in my case justified and suitable for the work I'm doing for my friends? 

The M11, as any M is a very different camera. For me it felt like coming home when I used my first M (M2 and later M8). It takes a while to get used to, and some practice to be really fast with the manual focus. But I, and many owners would not want to have it otherwise.

You say that you need either M11 or SL2/SL2s. I think you need to think that through. I own both a SL and a set of M camera's and I almost never 'need' both at the same time. In fact, I take my M9 most of the time and I only use my SL when the M9 can not do the job i.e. macro, long tele or zoom lenses, and 'studio' shoots. I am not a professional, so I have the luxury to use my M whenever I like and push its limits, even if it means that I will lose a shot or 2. I am so happy with the shooting experience and with the results of my M9 when I get it right that it is my daily camera. Yes the M9 is old and the M11 is a world apart technically, but it is a RF. It basically has less limits than my M9 and even more strengths. The M11 is a RF with the bonus of an EVF in situations where you really need to. If you intend/need to use the EVF all the time then I think there are better options, like the SL2.

I would definitely keep your Q, because any M is very different. It will also save you the need to buy a 28mm Summilux M lens for the M 11. See this recent thread. It is  basically about deciding between a SL2-s and a M10R and differences between Q and M systems:

Edited by dpitt

5 hours ago, jackieboi said:

I've had Leica Q2 and Ricoh GRiiix as a portable. I'd love to have a mirrorless camera to cover my need and pair with my other 2. I've been into photography for a long time, just done candid shots, street photography, mostly for my taste based on what I'm self-taught. I'm not a professional photographer but I've been asked by lots of my friends to do photoshoots, eg portrait, senior pictures, family photo, storytelling events. Hence the need for either M11 or SL2/SL2s. 

I've researched and know the difference in specs, rangefinder vs digital EVF, lens options, etc. SL system seems to be a rational choice. And M11 may be too close to my Q2 (about size, lack of versatility, fixed lenses) and it might not work out well. 

But something about the M11 rangefinder , the feel, the touch (even though I'm not familiar with film camera at all but I figure learning it is enjoyable), about the classic makes me think double. Is choosing m11 in my case justified and suitable for the work I'm doing for my friends? 

Looking at your previous posts, I see you as at an early stage of manipulating exposure and learning what you are doing. I suggest you forget about upgrading until you have mastered your Q2. Learn how to obtain your desired  results using MANUAL exposure mode. Master getting your desired exposure right in camera. Then see how you can finesse the results in post-processing. You should then be a much better prepared to assess what you need to improve your range of photography to fulfill your growing ambitions in the future. And save yourself a lot of money!

At far lower cost you could use a good quality bridge camera, such as the Leica V Lux, to carry out shoots for friends, and learn about the values of different focal lengths  in social photography.  If you are ever tempted to turn professional in the future,  that would be the time to consider big-budget solutions. Meanwhile, you have two highly proficient cameras to master fully, and enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Reliable Quality with pictures that are correctly exposed that are produced for other people. I would say it takes years of experience with a Rangefinder to do that with an M. I would even say the SL2 is wrong as color tweaking is a bit more demandable, and AF poor.

For the purpose I would suggest a Nikon Z7ii. Useable AF/Exposure and AWB modes with super easily tweakable colours in post. You save a fortune you can spend on the very nice S  lenses.

• 1 month later...

M11:

lower pace , Manuel focus, OVF, fun for 28-50 mm, mechanical feel, more compact

SL2-s:

shares battery with your Q2, allows longer focal length, faster, AF,...

What are you looking for? A (pretty) fast AF camera for zooms and primes and allwowing long focal length? SL

A camera with more mechanical feel, unobtrusive, OVF, but not an action camera -> M11

Posted (edited)

Points well taken, but do not forget that the SL is better when in environmentally dusty or wet weather situations, i.e., wind swept beaches and or sand dunes are the worst.

Personally I very much welcome the SL2S for its 24MP BSI sensor.

Edited by algrove