Survey: Leica Support for Raw Converter Apps

LUF Admin

16 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Have you decoded the different values of this field? - worth contributing them to ExifTool if you have, though as you say Leica should make this information available themselves.

Mine was just a (very simple) example: looking in the specific Leica Exif fields, I found that some are in plain text, other are more cryptic (and maybe useless for photogrphers use). Some of them looks to be self-explaining, my initial guess are:

• Unknown_0x0305: camera serial number
  • Unknown_0x0407: image name
  • Unknown_0x0408: image directory name on the sd card (under DCMI main directory)
  • Unknown_0x0412: Film Style (including Leica Looks)

Just a quick analysis, of course. As you wisely suggested, I sent them to Phil Harvey, maybe he will find them useful.

Naturally only Leica may explain in detail what they contains in detail...

Den

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

Adobe Bridge > ACR > Photoshop since about 20 years (2005 R9 plus DMR). I have tested Lightroom but I dont`t like it. May be because of my long time experiences with Photoshop. In case of printing my pictures I use inDesign for layouting in order to add graphics and text.

Been using Bridge>ACR>Photoshop as well for more than 15 years. On and off I tried LR a few times but gave up almost immediately. I just think LR is a lesser software as compared to the Bridge/ACR/Photoshop bundle.

Edited by A. Cheng
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 4:57 PM, wlewisiii said:

I have an M 240. Used Capture One till they went subscription. I refuse to use that model. I changed to ART and found it superior as well as free.

ART ? Can't find it out :) Could you explain, please ? Thks

I've started to process (as a test) raw files with Capture One 3 from a M8. Went to Camera Raw for a glance but I hate all the fancy dummy features included in Photoshop for a quite heavy price due to what I expect. Never went to Bridge, nor Lightroom, even if provided free with my last M-P. Tried Silverlight, not satisfied. Rawtherapee, Phocus...
For the time being I run Capture One 22 Pro. May be I don't like to jump too easily to any unknon area ?

I planned to purchase a M11, but I shall wait for a 1:1 monitor (105 inches ?) with a comfortable graphic card, and a reasonably fast raw processor...

Edited by Dantist

I use Lightroom combined with Photoshop for the Leicas and Nikons; and Capture One combined with Photoshop for a Phase One. I find that, as a raw developer, Capture One seems to be better than Lightroom. But I have no C1 experience with Leicas

• 2 weeks later...

I use Graphic Converter for Macs, recommended by a commercial printer at the newspaper years ago. Produced by Thorsten Lemke, founder of Lemkesoft, Germany, very affordable and capable and very reasonably priced. 

3 hours ago, NZDavid said:

Graphic Converter for Macs, recommended

This is such a great tool. 

Has saved me over the last 30 years (I'm not exaggerating) several dead lines and night shifts. Great for all (I MEAN IT: ALL) kind of image formats, great batch processing.

• Like 2