Camera bag for hiking trails - SL2-S & Leica 24-70

SOLA

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a shoulder strap when out & about but for long day hikes having an SL bouncing off your side & back isn't ideal, so looking for something like a sling bag or possibly a smaller Osprey backpack for camera + water.  Relatively quick access, suggestions appreciated!

On a related topic, I avoid having my SL2 and 24-90 bounce off my body by attaching the Peak Design Leash to anchors on one strap lug and on the small PD bottom plate.  (Some might prefer one of the wider PD straps.) The lens points down and hugs my body. Works even better, and alleviates shoulder stress, when carried cross body. The PD system provides for quick and easy strap length adjustments. Weather sealing also curtails any need for a bag, which just adds to bulk and weight.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I really like ONA bags. The Monterey is a great bag. It comes in different colours.

https://onabags.com/collections/backpacks/products/the-monterey?variant=30872585994285

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BP15HPMP?smid=A209UUQT8O7JCV&th=1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quickest and not annoying access is single buckle and nothing else. Like on lifesaving jackets.

I used Tamrac 3446 Rally 6. For fifteen years or so. Everywhere, everyday. Commute, hike, bike and long walks with camera. Even  skating with camera :)

I replaced original buckle with premium one from Europe. And only part which went really bad is mesh which gave up after fifteen years. 

It is not big at all but internal space with swallow a lot. External mesh pockets makes total sense for water. 

Unfortunately  Tamrac simplified Rally series, with Apache series been somewhat more close to original Rally.

But no mesh pockets, just clothe ones.

Don't know if it has any use for water bottle. 

Now it is really hard to find anything else as functional and not fashion statement. 

Here is the link showing by Tamrac Rally 6 bag:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739250-REG/Tamrac_344601_3446_Rally_6_Camera.html

Edited by Ko.Fe.

10 hours ago, Jeff S said:

On a related topic, I avoid having my SL2 and 24-90 bounce off my body by attaching the Peak Design Leash to anchors on one strap lug and on the small PD bottom plate.  (Some might prefer one of the wider PD straps.) The lens points down and hugs my body. Works even better, and alleviates shoulder stress, when carried cross body. The PD system provides for quick and easy strap length adjustments. Weather sealing also curtails any need for a bag, which just adds to bulk and weight.

Jeff

+1 on the Peak Design strap system for keeping the camera from bouncing.

I currently use the Wandrd Prvke 20L for travel and I does have straps for securing the waist if I should hike with it.  The side access allow you to pull the camera out easily. However, the suggestion of  @rcusick above seems even better IMO

I am a fan of the MindShift Gear PhotoCross sling (10 or 13) and the backpack (15). Comfortable to carry, easy to access whilst still on the shoulder, chest and waist buckles, pockets for batteries, tools and small stuff, external pocket for thin stuff. Mindshift Backlight are made for backpacking and again are light, easy to carry and easy to use but need to be placed on the ground to access. Although saying that, I have a Shimoda for my large format with all the paraphalenia, but it works very well for the SL, tripod, water bottle, lenses and food and spare clothing. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1492348-REG/think_tank_photo_520427_photocross_13_backpack_orange.html (perfect for cities)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1525374-REG/shimoda_designs_520_111_action_x70_starter_kit.html (different sizes available)

• 3 weeks later...

My holiday kit

shimoda action 30 with think tank urban sling 10 in base which I can access from side or back, with SL2S SL 24-70, lumix 14-28, lumix 70-300 inside and ‘bits n bobs’ with osprey sling and Q2 in the rolll top with plenty of room for fleeces etc.

I then take whichever bag and items needed on any given day.

I may switch the 24-70 out in favour of either lumix 20-60 or 24-105

The ThinkTank ShapeShifter is probably the best small-that-can-be-medium sized backpack that can do small-that-can-be-medium gear size (hence the name). It is, IMHO, also probably the single best photo backpack for small-that-can-be-medium sized gear in the entire universe and Beverly Hills due to the innovative gear carrying compartments that are in fact neoprene POCKETS (and I have tested them all).

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/shape-shifter

Edited by Al Brown

Looks good but I’ll stick with my 3 in 1 solution 

Usually have the urban with SL2S 24-70 + another lens/Q2 for urban wandering carrying the Q2 in osprey at night 

proper hiking means Shimoda with whatever kit I fancy 

Edited by huwm
autocorrection problème