Leica SL2 vs Panasonic Cameras

benjaminit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,
I would like to first introduce myself. I am an amateur photographer who has always been into the Fujifilm system in recent years. Last year I started trying Full frame and bought a Panasonic S5, which I have to say, I am delighted and it is my favorite camera, compared to others that I own, such as the Fuji GFX50S ii, the X-T5 and some Lumix 4/3 microphone. The fact is that I have had the opportunity to buy a Leica SL2 at a very good price. I would like to know if any of you have taken this step, from Full Frame from Panasonic to Leica. My intention i just only have a system, the L-mount Full Frame system
Thank you so much for your help

Ben

SL2 is a fantastic camera, but just more pixels which won’t make a difference in your photography, whilst losing some useful features might not be enough to make you put your S5 on the shelf. 

I do not have both camera's.
Given the cost difference, it makes sense keeping both, at least for a while. The SL2 will probably please you most of the time, and on occasion you can switch back to the S5.
I see that size and weight of the S5 will always be an advantage.

In case you do not like the SL2, you could always sell it again for about the same price.

Is there a difference between the Leica and Panasonic wrt the sensor stack? Does the panasonic have microlenses and perform the same as the SL1/2.. for M lenses? I had the SL2 and it performed very well with M lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

50 minutes ago, DrM said:

Is there a difference between the Leica and Panasonic wrt the sensor stack? Does the panasonic have microlenses and perform the same as the SL1/2.. for M lenses? I had the SL2 and it performed very well with M lenses.

The sensor of SLx is made for using M-lenses, applying a thin top filter and microlenses over the photo cells. Don't expect the same usability with Panasonic bodies (at least up to now), particularly for wide(r) M-lenses. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, helged said:

The sensor of SLx is made for using M-lenses, applying a thin top filter and microlenses over the photo cells. Don't expect the same usability with Panasonic bodies (at least up to now), particularly for wide(r) M-lenses. 

Okay, I thought so as well, but I cannot find it back in the technical specifications, or a systematic side-by-side shooting with m lenses

1 hour ago, DrM said:

Panasonic has a different Bayer filter and processing chain, which is very obvious when you compare the default OOC colour 

I switched from S5 to SL2 having both for about 6/12 before moving the S5 on as not using it.

The feel/ergonomics of the SL2s as well as the superior EVF and to me better support of mMount lenses were the deciding factors.

The ‘handling’ for me is just so much better that the weight and size of body seems almost irrelevant.

I do tend towards lighter lenses though.

I've an S1 and an SL (and a TL2 as well).

S1 is so far advanced - it matches, if not exceeds that of the SL2 or SL2S - but that is NOT to take away from the SL2S nor SL2 (higher MP, lower ISO performance)...

I was Sony and Fuji - Last sony was A7s2, dropped for the S1 (EVF, ISO performance, and erfos primarily - aside from the difference in price).  Last Fuji was X-T4 dropped for the SL.

I tried SL2S and LOVED it.  Then tried the SL - which (for me) was simpler, and FELT better shooting vintage (simpler)...   

I shoot 75% vintage.  The SL handles so well - that alone would make it a goto.  Add to that the EVF is almost to the spec of the S1 - but in practice is literally just as good (albeit with crap peaking, but at that level that is often not even needed).  Whereas the Fuji's are an analogue experience - with the triangle on the dials - the SL is more like a tactile experience - kinda like typing on a high end mechanical keyboard - it's just satisfying.   

For Native glass - there is a difference between the SL and the S1 - but not so much it makes a difference in my style.  I tried the SL2S but didn't use my 'testing' lenses (Sig 85/1.4, Sig 105/2.8, and Sig 100-400) - as I'm not at a loss for shooting (my style) which is single shot.  For action - I use the 6K capture on the panasonic - no idea if the SL2 has such an item.

I tried the S5 variants - but I'm an EVF guy - and it's not even as good as some of the older X-T1 and X-T2.  I am keeping one fuji (have XT1,3,4 - likely the 1 or 2 will earn a spot int eh stable - unsure so far - sold off the 3 already).

S1 checks a hell of a lot of boxes and for a price that makes a used S5ii look expensive, let alone any Leica.   UHSII and CFx, IBIS, Killer EVF, LOTS of dedicated buttons (ISO/WB/etc), 4K and 6K modes for PHOTOS, and so on...   Tough to argue if price is in the conversation.

That said - MY Leicas (SL and TL2) with Vintage produce some magic vs. the Panasonic - and although I can mirror in post - with the Leicas - I'm faster to results I LIKE.

$0.02 from he cheap seats...

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 6:00 AM, benjaminit said:

Hello everyone,
I would like to first introduce myself. I am an amateur photographer who has always been into the Fujifilm system in recent years. Last year I started trying Full frame and bought a Panasonic S5, which I have to say, I am delighted and it is my favorite camera, compared to others that I own, such as the Fuji GFX50S ii, the X-T5 and some Lumix 4/3 microphone. The fact is that I have had the opportunity to buy a Leica SL2 at a very good price. I would like to know if any of you have taken this step, from Full Frame from Panasonic to Leica. My intention i just only have a system, the L-mount Full Frame system
Thank you so much for your help

Ben

Hi Ben

Since you want to have just the L-mount system, yes for sure get that SL2 for the high MP option that the 50S II now provides you. Keep the S5 for your backup, companion & low light body. I'd recommend buying at least one Leica SL APO prime for the SL2. They are available used-mint for much less cost than new, they are stunning in IQ.  Also, consider the Panasonic S primes, they offer the same haptics and similar weather sealing to the Leica SL lenses and are an excellent value.

Good luck, Doug

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by goodbokeh
Typo
  • Like 1

The SL2 is based on the Panasonic S1R. There were some minor technical differences (different sensor cover glass, hot shoe) and some major layout and handling differences but the functions and features were shared, mostly.

The original S5 (mark 1)'s closest relative is the Leica SL2-S. The newer S5II has a much more advanced focus system (PDAF) which will make a big difference for video shooting and a lesser but for some, significant difference to AFC still shooting. There's a new SL3 coming in a few weeks that will have the new focus system and a higher MP count, if that's what you want. And then a Panasonic camera that's very similar will follow a few months latter.

If you are interested in the video functionality then I'd use the S5II. For most stills (except sports) the previous generation and SL2 and SL2-S will be fine. Expect a bunch of used SL2's in a couple of weeks.

Gordon

The SL2 is miles ahead of the S5 for me. Only thing is the S5 is it has slightly better dynamic range. 

The viewfinder alone would make it worth it for me, let alone all the ergonomic improvements.

Then again if your looking for AF improvement the S5II can be had for a steal on the used market and is a improvement in viewfinder and AF.`

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnSantaF4 said:

What about if you’re coming from a Q2M……Panasonic or Leica? What model is recommended….i shoot mostly landscape and architecture. Thanks.

SL2 hands down for your use case. Better resolution, and has the ability to use the Perspective control feature which uses the cameras internal gyro to non-destructively give you clean lines on buildings (as if you were using a tilt shift) This is non-destructive so you can adjust in post. 

Wait until the SL3 is announced March 7th, then pick up the SL2 for a bargain used. 

• Like 1

That makes perfect sense, thanks. The perspective control feature would be a great fit for my architecture images.

On 2/24/2024 at 6:58 PM, Geoff C. Bassett said:

SL2 hands down for your use case. Better resolution, and has the ability to use the Perspective control feature which uses the cameras internal gyro to non-destructively give you clean lines on buildings (as if you were using a tilt shift) This is non-destructive so you can adjust in post. 

Wait until the SL3 is announced March 7th, then pick up the SL2 for a bargain used.